Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

So there IS a 'White Knight' in the Photography Retail High Street!

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
31 Jan 2013 10:24PM
Shame. Got my hopes up a bit then. Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Feb 2013 9:26AM
Let's not forget that it is not so long ago that Jessops were the predators who used chain-store pricing to put most independent High Street camera shops out of business.

In Stirling, as an example, there were three good camera shops, run by knowledgeable enthusiasts before Jessops killed the market. Then there was only Jesspos. Now, if you really want to buy a camera over the counter, try Argos!!

JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
1 Feb 2013 9:32AM

Quote:Shame. Got my hopes up a bit then. Sad

I immediately thought of Peter Jones, the John Lewis owned store as well ! !

Do they still of a branch in Sloane Square / Kings Road ?
darranl e2
5 318 England
1 Feb 2013 9:38AM

Quote:Let's not forget that it is not so long ago that Jessops were the predators who used chain-store pricing to put most independent High Street camera shops out of business.

Isn't that true for the practices of most of these large retailers that have collapsed - building up large chains making it difficult for independents to compete.

Although I do think it is funny when these retailers keep blame online competition - lets not forget there was a time that there was no online competition so the whole online market was there for the taking - these retailers were all in ideal positions to capitalise on that, they had warehouses, relationships with suppliers and the ability to buy in large quantities and yet they all sat back some only embracing online when they realised it was not going to go away but by that point new leaders has managed to get themselves well established.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 9:59AM
Let's just hope that he returns the Jessops brand back to the photographer instead of the "one size fits all" brand that they turned into. Our Jessops used to be small with knowledgeable staff and sold everything a photographer needed. They doubled the size of the store and halved the stock. All the good staff went and we ended up with shop assistants who knew how to work the till but very little else. Yes, they were always pleasant and tried to help but they had very little know how on anything more technical than a basic compact.
Railcam e2
8 484 Scotland
1 Feb 2013 10:04AM

Quote:I heard rumours that someone was going to buy HMV and Jessops and maybe combine them, probably in some watered down versions, stores within stores.

30+ years ago Greens Cameras had a presence in some Debenhams stores. They did not last long. I did get some good Nikon bargains as they were closing down the Manchester one.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 10:04AM
Forgot to mention as well that on a Saturday in the old store it was always really busy. You had to wait your turn to be served but in the meantime you could listen in on what someone else was buying and get a really good practical lesson from an excellent sales assistant while you waited. It was pure heaven.

(And they sold second hand stuff as well). Smile
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 10:55AM
They will take over the prime sites where the Jessops stores made money and everything else will be internet based. People look at the name Jessops and think of photography. That alone is worth millions! Why do you think Jones is on Dragons Den, if not there to make money. Would you not do the same if you could?
Stephen
Jacqi e2
5 12 Scotland
1 Feb 2013 12:32PM
Wish he would send me the lens I ordered, pre-paid for and never gotSad
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
1 Feb 2013 4:00PM
I thought that the bank had already taken most of the store premises as security for loans.
1 Feb 2013 4:08PM

Quote:Let's not forget that it is not so long ago that Jessops were the predators who used chain-store pricing to put most independent High Street camera shops out of business.

So, Blockbusters go into administration because of Sky Movies, Netflix, and LoveFilm then have they? So they are also predators. Why don't you go on a movie forum and slag them off as well.

TBH, probably all businesses are out to get the others. No matter who they are, it's a cut throat world out there, and no matter what type of selling you do, there is always someone else who is going to go under because of you. Supermarkets, such as Asda, Tesco, and others are leaving the corner shops closing down as well. Ergo, that makes them predators too does it not? Butchers shops are closing down. Greengrocers are closing down. Even clothes shops are closing down because the supermarkets are undercutting and mass producing goods.

So go and find a forum to slate them as well.

It pees me off when folks blame others. The internet would be a better place if everyone just bloody shut up about it!
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:12PM

Quote:Wish he would send me the lens I ordered, pre-paid for and never gotSad

If you paid with a credit card Jaqui, you should contact your bank and will have a fair chance of getting your money back. If you paid by debit card I think there's still some degree of protection, but it's by no means as sure.
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:16PM

So, Blockbusters go into administration because of Sky Movies, Netflix, and LoveFilm then have they? So they are also predators. Why don't you go on a movie forum and slag them off as well.

TBH, probably all businesses are out to get the others. No matter who they are, it's a cut throat world out there, and no matter what type of selling you do, there is always someone else who is going to go under because of you. Supermarkets, such as Asda, Tesco, and others are leaving the corner shops closing down as well. Ergo, that makes them predators too does it not? Butchers shops are closing down. Greengrocers are closing down. Even clothes shops are closing down because the supermarkets are undercutting and mass producing goods.

So go and find a forum to slate them as well.

It pees me off when folks blame others. The internet would be a better place if everyone just bloody shut up about it!

We shouldn't complain should we? After all the supermarkets sell us cheap goods - little choice, but cheap goods. Until the competition is gone.

I hope you like the future where the only stores are the big supermarket chains selling cheaply produced, limited produce at scary prices. We should just slouch back and wait for that to happen, yes?
1 Feb 2013 4:22PM
Chris - everyone does it. I worked for Jessops and lost my job. I'm not in the best of moods just now.

Same as the HMV staff who lost their jobs this week - because of I-Tunes or similar.

The problem will always be there.

There is no cure as far as I can see.
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:40PM
I'm really very sorry you've lost your job - genuinely.

We bought our works 5DII kit and lenses/lights from our local store to support a local business and also have somewhere to go if things went wrong. It's much easier to do that if there's somewhere you can physically go than trying to deal with a manufacturer or some warehouse in Hong Kong.

We all love a bargain, but we need to learn to be more long-sighted in our choices.

Media has had it. The writing has been on the wall for a while for physical copies of entertainment. Personally I still like a CD or whatever in my hands [you also always have a backup and physical ownership], but it isn't really a viable distribution model any more. The only thing that is artificially keeping it going is the rampant greed of the record industry/studios in artificially inflating the price of downloads - most of the stuff through these channels can be had cheaper in physical copies if you're prepared to wait a bit or are lucky enough to have a decent shop locally [who am I kidding - that last bit's a bit of a pipe dream outside of London].

It wouldn't be too bad, but the supermarkets are already fixing prices. Fish is hideously expensive [and mostly frozen] because there are so few fishmongers around. The cost of a typical [sub-champagne] sparkling wine has doubled in the last three years. If that isn't price-fixing I struggle to contemplate what is. Consumer watchdogs don't seem to have any teeth - governments don't have any teeth.

Legislation on these issues is the lap-dog of the major corporations as national administrators [and that's all they are] are ****-scared the big-boys will shift their bases of operations away from any country that might stand up to them. We really are helically-inserted.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.