Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

So there IS a 'White Knight' in the Photography Retail High Street!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Paul_Iddon
1 Feb 2013 - 5:11 PM

That's the reply I've read in ages Chris! Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Feb 2013 - 5:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul_Iddon
1 Feb 2013 - 5:17 PM

That's the best reply I've read in ages Chris! Grin

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45781 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 5:41 PM

Quote: If that isn't price-fixing I struggle to contemplate what is.

I think it is worse than that. Food production costs have been going up gradually for years (even pre-2008 crisis) but supermarket wars have been so vicious that this has kept prices artificially low - and in many cases this has been only because the suppliers are so dependent on the supermarkets as distribution points that the supermarkets have been using this as a lever, forcing suppliers to take a majority of the hit so the supermarkets can maintain their profit margins. So we now have a double whammy: suppliers are starting to either reject supermarket pressure or they are going bus, coupled with the fact that supermarkets cannot keep working under the profit margins they have been for the last decade.
I remember a few years ago when Sainsbury's screwed up their supply chain and were pilloried in the media for having empty shelves - I am now seeing that more often with all chains.

NeilS
NeilS e2 Member 7801 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 - 6:03 PM

My Comment made on the original news item

"Regretably I suspect that your vouchers are Nil and Void

However if I were taking the name over, it would be to set up a slick internet only, non grey provider/operation that simply undercut the rest of the market on almost all products, a bit like as I seem to recall, Warehouse Express operated many years ago

A quick look at Camperapricebuster for many products will often indicate that an Amazon provider is the cheapest option, and I suspect that many folks are put off by it being an unknown name/warranty provider, any newcomer would need to overcome that and the Jessops name re launched could be an ideal opportunity for a starter, however they would survive or not by feed back, and therefore customer service would need to be good and more importantly consistent

Once established and sucessful, then I would either sell off or list on USM"

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 6:24 PM

http://photo.jessops.com/email/20130128/email.html

User_Removed
1 Feb 2013 - 6:53 PM

Quote:

There is no cure as far as I can see.

But, let's be honest. We are not looking for a cure. We are looking for continued evolution of the marketplace that produces new models of retailing to offer us whatever it is that we consider to be the optimum combination of great service, superb prices and widest choice.

At present internet retailers offer what we want. What will be next? Who knows?

dandeakin
dandeakin  6187 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:09 PM

I don't understand how they can still be trading when they still owe people lenses etc that they've paid for.

It's not like they've gone to court and been declared bankrupt (as far as I know).

Paul_Iddon
1 Feb 2013 - 8:53 PM

They are not actually trading. That part of the website is actually CEWE labs in Warwickshire.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 9:53 PM

Jessops photo processing is trading, thats from Peter Jones today anyway.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 10:58 PM

It's the Jessops brand that has been bought by Peter Jones so the name will continue.
Just like the Woolworths name was bought by Shop Direct Group and is trading as woolworths.co.uk.
They have nothing to do with the original companies and so are not responsible for any debts or outstanding orders etc.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 11:07 PM

So then the questions is,

Should it be allowable for a companies reputation and name to be bought and traded for pure commercial gain even when that company has caused hardship and has outstanding debts, and what does that really say about the company and or person who bought it ?

darranl
darranl  4318 forum posts England
2 Feb 2013 - 10:53 AM

Quote: Should it be allowable for a companies reputation and name to be bought and traded

Yes - that is all of value left in the original company so by selling that there is some money that can be paid towards the outstanding debts. Take a hard line when it comes to selling on names and there will be less money for those debts.

Most people will still be aware that when they shop at jessops.com in the future that it is really a different company.

simmybear
simmybear  732 forum posts
2 Feb 2013 - 7:32 PM

Well at least it will pay the Administrators fees - I doubt in the absence of a mention of the price it will do much more.

Like an earlier poster it seems to me a poor practise when you can buy the "reputation" of past glories and public recognition whilst people from the old "incarnation" of Jessops are still sat with no refund of deposits or goods.

I for one will not be patronising the new "Jessops (2013 - nothing to do with that last lot) PLC" as it would stick in my craw I'm afraid - and besides which if they do succeed and suck up the on-line market like they did the High Street (although that seems unlikely) all that we will be left with is a dominant e-tailer with no competition just like they became a dominant retailer and eliminated bricks and mortar competition.

dandeakin
dandeakin  6187 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 8:34 AM

It seems the administrators priority is to repay as much as possible to the previous investors, who knew they were gambling when they made their investments. meanwhile the people who bought goods / vouchers /preorders in good faith get not much. Seems wrong to me.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.