Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

So you want to be a pro photographer… ?

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Dec 2013 10:42PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 7:08AM
Nice one Ade, and it applies to anyone "going solo" not the photographers
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 7:39AM
Excellent.
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 8:00AM
Nice one Ade. I'm in a similar boat having jumped from mainline IT to a small consultancy. At least I have a pension behind me. Year three now and we're in profit, but years 1 and 2 were awful. I wish you every success, I would say you deserve it, but one thing I have learned is that skills aren't enough, so I wish you every success, because you've worked for it.
Alan
peted01 5 75 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 8:10AM
So true Ade, I took the leap a couple of years ago after being in the telecomms world for nearly 40 years and everything you have said is so true.

Most true is that there is nobody to tell you what to do so you HAVE to get out and do it yourself. Your comment about self starter on CV made me laugh.
Exactly what I thought until I left the corporate world.

Good luck with yours

Pete
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 9:04AM
100% true. It's a tough World out there and people will stab you in the back, just to get the job you're after.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
3 Dec 2013 9:23AM
Cheers guys

I was going to add in more photography related points, but when you start out, you kinda know those - so concentrated mainly on the stuff I didn't know about, the "business" bits...

Does apply to anyone Brian - I guess that plumbers going it alone have the same thing, though it may be a bit different if you were in the same "trade" before you went solo.

Going from plumbing employed to plumbing alone would be an easier transition than IT to photography.... ?

More photography related points... err...

Commercial clients probably won't ask for textures and wierd effects - though they may be a nice plus-point for family portraits ?
Spending 2 hours painstakingly editing every shot in Photoshop probably isn't necessary for most uses (and if it is, budget accordingly!) - plus remember that many clients have in house photoshop wizards.... Most of my work ends up on websites and is used in a pretty "matter of fact" way, though I do like to add in drama on the sites I build Wink
Keep shooting - you can get lots of time to do so if you work your calendar right, so get out there, try new stuff, enjoy... even it is just trying new lighting techniques on a mate....
Don't force photos down people's throats - as soon as I got my Tab, I'd be shoving it in front of people at network meetings - "Hey look at these" - just seemed to annoy people... wait to be asked Wink They can see you have a tab, they know you will have photos...

Out networking later - best get ironing... i now wear jeans and a shirt, not the suit Wink
brian1208 e2
3 Dec 2013 9:43AM

Quote:Going from plumbing employed to plumbing alone would be an easier transition than IT to photography.... ?

hmmm?

Not so sure about that Ade, I reckon those 10 points apply to any job, just change the skill from photographer to plumber (leccie or whatever) and the poor old plumber will face competition from his previous employer too.

I have a friend at the club who was made redundant from his IT job and tried very hard to make it on his own (in IT) but never got off the ground, falling at #1. I suspect, he'd spent too long in a corporate environment and had become institutionalised, that + the fact that most if not all of the "niches" had been outsourced oversees

I take my hat off to all of you who go independent, I had several chances whilst working and totally lacked the ability (and courage). Its a much easier life once retired and supported by a decent pension, the same rules apply but there are few if any consequences of failure (apart to one's ego Wink )
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2013 9:52AM
Brilliant Ade. Especially the one where "Everyone has a thousand ideas and knows better than you." That is so true. I got sick and tired of being told what we should do and how we should do it by people who hadn't got a clue! Interestingly those very people now pestering us to be our assistants at weddings and on shoots!

The other really annoying thing is when I am constantly badgered about how much money I am making!
Evertonian 1 540 England
3 Dec 2013 9:52AM
It is also a lot easier for somebody who has been working as a part time pro. because over the years you will have learned how to run a business, what clients expect, the kind of work handed out and how you are treated by HMRC. So you are 75% of the way there. Good luck anyway.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
3 Dec 2013 10:10AM

Quote:It is also a lot easier for somebody who has been working as a part time pro. because over the years you will have learned how to run a business, what clients expect, the kind of work handed out and how you are treated by HMRC. So you are 75% of the way there. Good luck anyway.

A lot of snappers who run a part-time business don't have the first idea of costing and then run into severe financial problems when they go full-time as plenty of delegates at our business survival workshops have found.

Few part-timers seem to bother to register with HMRC!
brian1208 e2
3 Dec 2013 10:35AM

Quote: Few part-timers seem to bother to register with HMRC!

they are daft if they don't (in my view), its simple enough and the penalties for getting caught are enough to make it worthwhile (again, in my view)
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
3 Dec 2013 10:48AM
plus if you spend £10000 on kit, it's tax deductible - it's not all bad Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
3 Dec 2013 10:55AM

Quote:
The other really annoying thing is when I am constantly badgered about how much money I am making!

That's one thing I never get asked actually - not sure why... I just plead poverty at all times, maybe that's why Wink

It's actually a great way of getting out of stuff you don't want to go to - just say you've had a bad month lol

For me - the first point, "the nothing" was the strangest of the lot - just waking up, no more job... nothing... no business... that is truly humbling.
brian1208 e2
3 Dec 2013 11:17AM
That could be #11 on your list Ade, you have to select and pay for your own kit!

(when I worked for Shell, it was accepted that you always had to have the best available gear, whether the job demanded it or not - it was quite a shock retiring and facing the real world Wink )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.