Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Software - what do you use often for your shots?

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 4:21PM
I'm wondering what software you consider essential to produce your images.

A recent article got me wondering about that extra something software can bring to the party.
Personally i'm wondering when something like photoshop CSx becomes essential along with its potential plugins.

I use elements8 and very occasionally portrait professional (due to lack of subjects).

What helps give your shot's that little something extra ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

2 Sep 2011 4:32PM
Photomatix Pro for my HDR interiors, but the "magic" for want of a better word is all done in Photoshop CS5. That said I'm pretty sure that Elements would probably do the job too as it's all about adding local contrast, sharpness, saturation, dodge and burn etc with masked layers, layer blending modes and layer opacities.

And why should I use 1 layer when I can and often do use 20 or 30 plus Smile
ether 3 20 England
2 Sep 2011 4:33PM
Lightroom
PS4
Portrait Professional
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 4:45PM
Thanks Dave, very helpful indeed Smile and Ed - Welcome to ePhotozine, I look forward to seeing your work Smile
Cheers,
Stuart
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 4:46PM
85% of time Lightroom is all that I need.

Will use CS5 for anything that needs more radical work - particularly where layers are needed (or helpful)

Photomatix for HDR - then finished in CS5
ether 3 20 England
2 Sep 2011 4:49PM

Quote:Thanks Dave, very helpful indeed Smile and Ed - Welcome to ePhotozine, I look forward to seeing your work Smile
Cheers,
Stuart

Thanks Stuart
Just finding my way around
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Sep 2011 4:55PM

Quote:I'm wondering what software you consider essential to produce your images.

Any software is essential...otherwise you cannot see the image from a RAW file, as such Wink

As for which software I am beginning to think that Aperture is slightly quicker & easier to use than Lightroom and Capture One was the hardest.

Quote:What helps give your shot's that little something extra ?

None of my shots have that "little something extra" so the answer is nothing.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
2 Sep 2011 4:57PM
Currently all of my editing is done through Photoshop elements (only version 6 Wink) from the RAW processing with Adobe RAW through to the specific editing of the photos themselves.

I do, however, use a few addons to elements to make it more usable - specifically:

1) Free layermask - lacks some of the copy and paste options that the CS series photoshop packages offer, but as a basic masking layer its fantastic and certainly my most used tool

2) Curves addon - a bit more freeform control than the 4 sliders that elements gives

3) Neat Image - noise reduction software specifically, but also has a good sharpening code as well. So gets used for both.

4) Focus stacking software - Zerene Stacker; Helicon Focus; Combine ZP - for macro focus stacks.

With the above I can do most of what I need to be done, however some of the more advanced sharpening and noise reduction guides that I've read require certain small features that are simply only present in the CS package. Certainly at some point I will move up to using the full phtooshop for its added editing power; however the above package more than does what I need it to much of the time.

In addition I'll most likely also add Lightroom to my setup - probably well before CS5 as I do like its interface and overall layout and, from using a demo, I know that its features and workflow certainly help make things easier getting through the RAW stage.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 5:01PM
I use LR3 and CS5 - but at the end of the day they are just tools. No more, no less.

I think of the final image as a result of a process from inception to viewer. The 'extra' if it exists can come from any part of that process.
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 5:10PM
All my images are straight from the camera Jack ,

Post processing is the devils tool and should be shot as seen Wink
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
2 Sep 2011 5:12PM

Quote:All my images are straight from the camera Jack ,

Post processing is the devils tool and should be shot as seen Wink

So you let the imps in your camera do all the work eh - what about their rights? Their feelings! Have you ever paused to consider the extra burden you place upon them in not just having to record but also perform all the editing for you! TongueGrin
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Sep 2011 5:28PM
Human devils process RAW. Little elves living in your camera process JPEGs.

Seeemples! Wink
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 5:38PM
The Sony a100 has a special button called slave mode and it completely takes away the rights of all the pixels to do as they please Wink

Ok I fibbed , heres the filter menu in wot Im using at the mo.

workflow.jpg

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Sep 2011 6:04PM

Quote:Ok I fibbed

Wink

Grin
CaptivePhotons 11 1.6k 2 England
2 Sep 2011 6:07PM
On the PC:

LR2
CS4
OnOne
Nik SEP2 (Must have)
X-Rite colour checker passport

On the iPad:

Snapseed
PS Express

Mostly

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.