Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

software

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    southpole
    southpole  355 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:58 AM

I currently use paintshop pro 4 and i am thinking of cghanging editing software to either lightroom 3 or photoshop elements 10 can any one enlighten me what the difference is in the programs Please

Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Feb 2012 - 11:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:16 PM

PSE 10 allows you to edit files and save the changes on the file. You will also have to pre-process your RAW files. Lightroom is more subtle but less powerful in a very few places. With Lightroom (and Aperture) you can import RAW files and work directly on them. All edits that you make are stored as attributes to the file, so the underlying file remains unaffected. The changes are only applied when you output the file to a TIFF or JPEG or PSD. You can have multiple versions of the adjustments but the underlying file remains un touched. It's very clever. Also with Lightroom it is easy to batch process files.

If all you do is correct lighting, horizons cropping etc then Lightroom is for you. If you start doing complex image manipulation, such as moving objects from one image to another then PSE is probably the one to get. I actually have both Aperture and PSE, but I only use PSE for straightening converging verticals and stuff like that.

Go on the Adobe website and have a look at the features of both, but I think I've covered the basics here. You can sum it up this way Lightroom has an integrated workflow from file to print. PSE does this less effectively but allows more changes to be made to the image.

All the best,
    Alan

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96236 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:29 PM

Just be aware that Lightroom 4 is due for release very soon.

Currently Adobe are selling Lightroom 3 for 121 reduced from about 243

There is no indication as to what the price of LR4 will be but it may be worth considering snapping up LR3 then just paying the upgrade price to LR4 when it is released.

The current upgrade price from LR2 to LR3 is around 78

southpole
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:31 PM

Cheers Alan for your indepth reply its very much appreciated i have Lightroom trail running and getting a bit lost in it at the moment , lightrroom sounds good as i only do lighting cropping and straightening etc not really into moving items , if you dont want it there then dont take a photo of it is my motto , i will always have paintshop to fall on if i need to . thanks again

Paul

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53548 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:31 PM

If you are mostly taking and uploading/printing single images then PSE10 is perfect.

If you are doing bigger sets of photos and if the photo's are already pretty good right out of camera then LR is better - there was a free LR4 Beta on adobe's website to try out (i'm doing this).
    I'm slowly becoming convinced that LR4 is better for me most of the time than PSE10. though i can still see me using PSE10 for more subtle local changes on an individual photograph.

southpole
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thanks JJGEE

southpole
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:39 PM

thanks Jack

mikehit
    mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have PSE 9 and LR3.6 - and since getting LR3 I have hardly used PSE.

LR is great for cataloguing and labelling but some people coming from other programmes cannot get their head around how the keywords work (I started with PSE7 so had cut my teeth on it already) but I think the learning curve is worth it. I developed my catalog in PSE7 and 8, and didn't really use it in PSE9 before I got LR, but I have seen several people complain about PSE9 catalog has some bugs compared to PSE8.

PSE 9/10 now has adustment layers (finally!) which are great for selective sharpening and other processing but LR has such effective effects brushes that I can do almost all routine effects in there: the reason they developed layers is because processing in most programmes is destructive so using layers is a way of preserving the original image; but LR is non-destructive so does not need layers.
    I still use PSE occasionally so for the price (under 40 in some places) I would say it is worth buying.

Overall, I would say get LR and do any effects processing in PSP4 - you think you would have to export the file as TIFF to do so. Then get PSE if you find this doesn't work smoothly. But it really depends on what sort of processing you do.

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:50 PM

Amazon are currently selling Lightroom 3 for 95. Bought it myself two weeks ago and it's still on there. I use LR 3 for the bulk of processing now and then PS for correcting verticals, locally making some adjustments and if I want to replace skies etc. I've used LR since the first version (bootlegged up to now) and it's a cracking piece of software but you do need something like PS to do the things that it can't do yet.

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:56 PM

I currently use Lightroom 3 plus Photoshop CS5. For most of my images Lightroom is enough, but when I need more control or more powerful image editing then I have to use CS5. The integration between Lightroom and CS5 is excellent so moving images between programmes is very easy. I can't vouch for how good the integration is between Lightroom and PSE - but I expect that it will be good with PSE 9 or 10. I don't know how well it would work with Paintshop Pro.

When I first got Lightroom it baffled me completely. but with perseverance it has become easier to use and now I fly through my basic processing.

Hope that helps.

southpole
    16 Feb 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for replies , looks like i will get Lightroom 3 and keep psp4 need to do some reading on lightroom i think

thanks again everyone

Paul

JJGEE
    16 Feb 2012 - 1:00 PM

Quote: i have Lightroom trail running and getting a bit lost in it at the moment

If it is LR3 then I suggest downloading LR4 BETA as the Basic panel in the develop module has had some dramatic changes / improvements in the way that the controls work.

JJGEE
    16 Feb 2012 - 1:08 PM

Quote: i can still see me using PSE10 for more subtle local changes on an individual photograph.

When you get more experience of working with LR then you will find these subtle changes can be achieved as well.

What is not so good in LR is cloning / healing....... only really suitable for removing dust spots BUT you can spot one image then do a batch change on all the images from the same session.
    If you want to clone out things, like pylons, then you will probably need Elements or Photoshop.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2012 - 3:00 PM

Looks like we're all in violent agreement Grin
    Alan

stevew10000
    stevew10000 e2 Member 258 forum postsstevew10000 vcard United Kingdom
    16 Feb 2012 - 5:30 PM

If anyone has children in education, or work in education, discounts are available on student and teacher Adobe products. Same product but cheaper.

Software for students has a good web site, explains it all and offers very fast delivery.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.