Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Software to swap the C: drive on my PC?

MikeA 9 1.2k England
20 Aug 2012 9:27PM
My 4yr old C: drive is 80% full, what software is available / recommended to transfer the content of my current disc to a new, larger disc that would boot in place of the old one when swapped into the system please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
20 Aug 2012 9:59PM
Acronis True Image Home [40] is excellent and I use it monthly as a boot drive backup

..........or try the freeware ones here:

Snapfiles' Choice of Disk Cloning Freeware

Tried cleaning out the TEMP files and all the other crap that is lurking there? You might be surprised at what you recover...........
MikeA 9 1.2k England
20 Aug 2012 10:12PM

Quote:

Tried cleaning out the TEMP files and all the other crap that is lurking there? You might be surprised at what you recover...........

Hi, Thanks for the software info. I clean c: drive daily so no mileage there I am afraid.

MikeA.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 6:51AM
Another vote for Acronis True Imaging.
I had need to use it yesterday when my wife got her laptop infected with loads of viruses. I restored her laptop from a recent backup image & she was back up and running within 20 minutes.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
21 Aug 2012 9:47AM
Have you thought of fitting the new drive(s) to hold your data? It's good practice to keep system and data on different spindles.
Carrera_c 5 256 3 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 12:01PM
+1 for thewilliam's point. It's good practice to have your C: just holding all the system files (Operating System, installed programs, etc) and have a separate drive(s) for actually storing your content (photos, video, mp3, whatever).

This has a lot of advantages, there's a slight performance boost because you're helping to optimise the disk i/o a bit. It's easier to backup as you only really need to backup your files and not the system files so you can just target your second drive.
MikeA 9 1.2k England
21 Aug 2012 12:03PM

Quote:Have you thought of fitting the new drive(s) to hold your data? It's good practice to keep system and data on different spindles.

Thanks for the tip but I have no "data" on my C: drive it is held on two internal 2Tb drives with a 300Gb scratch disc + 5Tb of external drives.

My interest is in swapping out the current 300Gb for something larger without the hassle of re-installing, good house keeping is something I already practice Smile)
thewilliam 6 4.7k
21 Aug 2012 6:21PM
A few months back, I tried to use Norton Ghost to copy the C drive to another spindle because I'd been ignoring the smart failure warnings for too long. All seemed well until I removed the original C and tried to boot up from the new "system" drive. Even though I'd pointed to the new drive in setup, it wouldn't work and I had to re-load everything. We all know what a pain that can be!
MikeA 9 1.2k England
21 Aug 2012 6:37PM

Quote:A few months back, I tried to use Norton Ghost to copy the C drive to another spindle because I'd been ignoring the smart failure warnings for too long. All seemed well until I removed the original C and tried to boot up from the new "system" drive. Even though I'd pointed to the new drive in setup, it wouldn't work and I had to re-load everything. We all know what a pain that can be!

Thanks for the info. that pain is what I am trying to avoid if possible, if it isn't then I might as well bite the bullet and look for a new system probably with 8 or 12 cores to replace the Quad Xeon I currently run.
theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 7:28PM
I've used Macrium Reflect Free to make an image of my laptop hard drive to copy to ssd, which is basically the same job as you're looking at, with no issues.

I put a guide through the process on my blog .

Hope this helps.
MikeA 9 1.2k England
21 Aug 2012 7:43PM

Quote:I've used Macrium Reflect Free to make an image of my laptop hard drive to copy to ssd, which is basically the same job as you're looking at, with no issues.

I put a guide through the process on my blog.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Thank you I will check through your blog later.

MikeA.
21 Aug 2012 7:59PM
No Problem. Just substitute the SSD with your larger hard drive and the process is the same.

If you're comfortable connecting the new drive up with a Sata cable, rather than a USB caddy, the process will be much quicker too. Smile
MikeA 9 1.2k England
22 Aug 2012 10:37AM

Quote:No Problem. Just substitute the SSD with your larger hard drive and the process is the same.

If you're comfortable connecting the new drive up with a Sata cable, rather than a USB caddy, the process will be much quicker too. Smile

A good guide to follow, might even update my laptop as well Wink) I was going to temporarily substitute a new drive unit for one of my existing discs and update to that.
22 Aug 2012 12:13PM
I'm glad it's helpful Smile
MikeA 9 1.2k England
28 Aug 2012 7:51PM

Quote:I'm glad it's helpful Smile

Just updated the laptop with a Crucial 520Gb SSD - came with cloning software "Ez Gig 3" and cable. It took about an hour and half to clone the hard drive to the SSD. Swapped over the drives in the laptop, booted and away to go.
The software partitioned the drive as per the original, C: and D:, with all software working fine but much faster, especially when loading files / data. One programme Dragonframe seemed to load its 500 images from the last usage as the programme loaded whereas before the programme loaded then the files slowly loaded. Very impressed. Next is my Workstation, the original computer I was interested in updating Smile)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.