Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Some advice on Scanning slides

francisg 10 703 1 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2006 2:21PM
I am trying to scann some slides, but so far only poor results. Even though I have the resolution set high. I am still getting t scan lines traversing the image especialy noticable in the darker areas and shadows. My quiery is how do I prevent them forming.

Frank

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

u08mcb 10 5.8k
23 Oct 2006 2:33PM
Hi Francis,

What resolution are you scanning at? Are you doing preview scans or going straight into the main scan?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
23 Oct 2006 2:42PM
I had this problem when I tried using Vuescan with a Minolta 5400 and didn't seem to be able to configure things in a way which avoided it, so I went back to using the Minolta Software.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
23 Oct 2006 2:47PM
What scanner are you using and what software?
23 Oct 2006 4:10PM
This is a common issue on some Nikon Scanners - its known as banding. This can sometimes occur when there are deep blacks or strong highlights - or if the slide is very contrasty.

If you are using Nikon scan software - or indeed any other scan software, try using the Super Fine Scan mode or use the multipass/multisample function. This should eliminate it.
francisg 10 703 1 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2006 7:01PM
Thanks for the replies.The Scanner that I am using is aa Hewit Placard Scanjet 3970. The resolutions I used was 4800 dpi with the sharpen set High. The Software I use is Photoshop 7.0. My last posting "Fossill" is a typical example of the problem I encountered. The subject was A contrasty one but I put a little blur to help cover the Banding. With little effect.

Cheers

Frank

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.