Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Some help with what to buy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lumix5
    lumix5  3192 forum posts Northern Ireland
    11 May 2013 - 7:59 PM

Hi every one. I have been using Nikon View NX2 and Serif Photoplus X5 to do all of my PP. I have been thinking of getting some more PP software like Topaz Adjust and or DeNoise and have also been considering one of the Lightroom variants. I know Topaz Adjust will work as a plug-in with P/plus X5 because Serif have tried to sell it to me. Would I see a great advancement over what I already have with these options or can you kind people suggest any others I might consider. I am using Windows 7. Many thanks, David.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 May 2013 - 7:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker
    11 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

I use Topaz B&W, and Topaz Simplify as Plug-ins with Photoshop CS5. The B&W because I like working in Mono and the Simplify because it's very handy when creating digital artworks. Everything they do could be created in Photoshop I think, but I find it convenient to have the Topaz pre-sets available as starting points.
    HTH,
    Alex.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

There's a beta (trial) version of LR5 available here.

I'm using LR4 (and haven't tried the beta version yet) and would recommend it highly. LR converts files to mono by pressing the keyboard V - simples....well it's not really that simple, or that basic, but it will make a fairly good interpretation Grin

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    lumix5
    13 May 2013 - 9:30 AM

Hey Guys, many thanks for both replies - this must be a Northern Ireland only question that I have asked LOL! I downloaded the trial version of LR5 and was really impressed with the features and ease of use but was disappointed with how it slowed my computer down and sometimes took quite a while to respond to commands, so I un-installed it. I am going to give the trial version of LR4 to see how that goes.

Jestertheclown
    13 May 2013 - 6:05 PM

I've been trialing LR4 since my copy of LR3 went **** up on me. I looked at it once before and couldn't see what all the fuss was about but since I've had to use it, I've been pretty happy with it.

I too tried LR5 and it looks promising but like yourself, I found it to be desperately slow, sometimes freezing, not responding and occasionally simply closing.
    It is still a beta though, so hopefully, it will be less flaky when they release the real thing.

All of which brings me to a dilemma.
    My trial of LR4 runs out today. I'm not going to buy a licence yet, knowing that (a fully functioning?) LR5 is somewhere around the corner, so I might have to persevere with the beta for the time being.

Or can I get away with another trial of LR4?

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2013 - 8:44 PM

Quote: I've been trialing LR4 since my copy of LR3 went **** up on me

Re instal 3 then just buy the upgrade.

Most problems I`ve found are simply down to not having enough memory.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 May 2013 - 8:45 PM
    Jestertheclown
    13 May 2013 - 8:56 PM

Quote: Re instal 3 then just buy the upgrade.

That was my original plan Paul but I'm not sure whether that would be the cheapest route; I'd imagine it would but I'd still be stuck with the matter of which version to upgrade to.
    I don't want to pay to upgrade to LR4, only to find that I've got to upgrade again in a few months time.
    And all the time LR3's on here, it prevents the others from working properly, so I've still got to find a way to use one or the other until LR5 is released properly.

Quote: Most problems I`ve found are simply down to not having enough memory.

Ordinarily, that would be cunningly accurate yet, for once, I could actually afford to do this. I just don't know quite what I should do for the best!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2013 - 9:15 PM

This is what I did, I had two gb on my old system, and LR 3.6 crawled.

Adding memory can be very cheap.

I downloaded and ran this from Crucial, it told me how many free slots I had and even told me what type of memory to buy, I then went and ordered the exact same Crucial memory from Amazon and saved a few bob.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 May 2013 - 9:20 PM
    lumix5
    13 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Downloaded and tried out LR4 on a few of my raw files today and I am totally blown away with the results. I am not having any of the issues that I had with the trial version of LR5. I am going to continue to explore but my gut feeling is that this will be my next purchase.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.