Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Someone claiming copyright on my image

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mjhearne
Mjhearne  7432 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 3:59 PM

Any advice on this would be appreciated. If someone uses one of my images on their website and then claim they own copyright what can I do?? Forgive me for being naive but is this allowed?? They are not claiming they took the pic. But say they own copyright. Would have much prefered the person to speak to me and ask permission to use it. Very un-educated in this repsect and feeling bit hacked off.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2009 - 3:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 4:00 PM

No, it is not allowed.
You can contact them to ask them remove it.

john64
john64 e2 Member 10824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
23 Feb 2009 - 4:04 PM

The copyright is yours unless you signed it over. If someone has displayed the picture on their site, you're quite within your rights to ask for payment or removal. I would also ask them why they think they own the copyright.

Mjhearne
23 Feb 2009 - 4:06 PM

Thanks Guys. If the person had credited the work I wouldnt feel so bad. But to use the image and not ask permission - then cherry on cake, claiming copyright!! AAARRGHH!

f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 4:10 PM

It seems as if you must prove copyright, they are making the money your not!!!

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 4:10 PM

Copyright is yours by default unless you assigned it to someone else.

Link to a good resource

Mjhearne
23 Feb 2009 - 4:16 PM

Thanks again. I guess I should be flattered they have chosen to show my image, but what worth is it, if people dont know that I didnt take the image.

Kris_Dutson
23 Feb 2009 - 4:28 PM

Quote: Link to a good resource

LOL

I just tried to cut and paste a quote from that link but it warns me it's copyrighted.

BOB S
BOB S  122622 forum posts
23 Feb 2009 - 5:12 PM

Quote: if people dont know that I didnt take the image

Work that one out if you can !

BOB

Mjhearne
23 Feb 2009 - 7:27 PM

Whoops!!

Quote: Quote:if people dont know that I didnt take the imageWork that one out if you can !

BOB

That i DID take the image! Me, it was me!!

mark_delta
23 Feb 2009 - 8:25 PM

has it been posted on a social network site or similar where you automatically assign your copyright to the site, which would give them the right to sell the said copyrights to a third party ?
list of known copyright grabbers please feel free to add
my space
facebook
BBC your pics
Sky News
All local newspapers owned by johnson media

john64
john64 e2 Member 10824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
23 Feb 2009 - 8:32 PM

This is another damn good reason to shoot in raw. Someone might take a copy of a picture I've put up on the net, but they're going to be jpgs.

I'm always in possession of the only raw copies in existence.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Feb 2009 - 8:54 PM

name and shame so that no one else suffers the same fate from that website.

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 8:58 PM

Quote: The copyright is yours unless you signed it over. If someone has displayed the picture on their site, you're quite within your rights to ask for payment or removal. I would also ask them why they think they own the copyright.

Actually, I wouldnt even give them the choice. I'd demand they remove it then prosecute. This is what image libraries do and no amount of "I'm sorry I didnt realise, I'll stop using it" will do.

Dont know how practical it is to do, but whats the point in copyright if you cannot protect it. I wouldnt give them a choice.

Jules

DannyLenihan
26 Feb 2009 - 8:59 AM

Quote: No, it is not allowed.
You can contact them to ask them remove it.

Sod that. Send them an invoice and a "cease and desist" letter, then take them to court.

Or don't.

Assuming you took the photography, and you weren't in their employ at the time and taking the photograph for them, then the copyright belongs to you and they are breaking the law.

Have you checked to see if someone else has uploaded it to IStock or Alamy and the company in question bought it in good faith?

Small claims court costs 34 to file. Invoice for a 1000 and they'll probably assume it's cheaper to pay than litigate.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.