Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony 1.4 x converter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    caromal
    caromal  5 United Kingdom
    2 Jan 2013 - 6:22 PM

Hi all, firstly happy new year to you all and now my question. Have any of you used the sony 1.4 x converter on a 70-400G lens and a900. I was wondering whether the extra reach is of benefit and if it still allows auto focus etc. Is it still possible to hand hold or is it better to use a tripod. Thank you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jan 2013 - 6:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Steppenwolf
    5 Jan 2013 - 3:23 PM

I've got the Sony 1.4X TC, which I use on the 70-200mm and 300mm G lenses. The extra reach is a big benefit and there seems to be no noticeable loss of sharpness in the images.

It'll work on the Sony 70-400mm but unfortunately it won't AF. The result of putting the 1.4 TC on the f5.6 lens is that the maximum aperture of the lens becomes f8 - and Sony turn off the AF feature on lenses at f8 (except in the case of the 500mm f8 mirror, for reasons it would take too long to go into).

You could try the Kenko Pro 300 TC. This is chipped differently from the Sony/Minolta TCs and allows AF at below f8 apertures. Some people say they AF well, but I found that it just hunted all the time - maybe I just had a bad one. The image quality of the TC was pretty good though. The best TC I had (for AF with small apertures) was a Tamron 7 element one whichworked perfectly - I wish I hadn't sold it as they're no longer made and are hard to find s/h.

caromal
    caromal  5 United Kingdom
    5 Jan 2013 - 4:44 PM

Thank's Steppenwolf, I will try a few tc's when I get the chance. Interesting point though about the 500mm mirror lens as I have one of those also, thank's again.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.