Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony A65 vs A77

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
8 Sep 2012 - 9:05 PM

My Alpha100 is getting on a bit, and I'm looking at upgrading.

Comparing the A77 vs A65.

I'm wondering whether it's worth stumping up the extra cash for what basically seems to be a few more bells and whistles.

The really important bits appear to be the same or very similar, ie pixels, CCD, resolution, viewfinder, most programming options, focus modes, etc.

So the A56 doesn't have a top LCD screen...... big deal! Nor has my A100 and I've managed perfectly OK with it for 5 years.
No joystick controller... who needs it?
Fewer focussing points..... do they really matter?
10fps instead of 12, the A100 manages 3, so 10 is a big bonus for me for action/airshow shots...... would 12fps be worth the extra cost?

From my perspective photography is about taking pictures, not faffing about with umpteen menu options, some options on my A100 rarely get used, Picture effects, B&W, sepia etc, have never been used. Why would you want them when you have much better control using post processing?

Not a metal body(A65)! Good point, but I'm not in the habit of bouncing my cameras around!

In a nutshell the differences aren't that important unless you're a 'must have' technophile who can't live without the very latest in technology.
And the saved cash can go towards a new PC as the existing one sometimes struggles with 10mp files God knows how it would cope with 24mp.

Or am I missing something?

Last Modified By macroman at 8 Sep 2012 - 9:07 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2012 - 9:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 9:44 PM

Get yourself a Nex or some other CSC Smile

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96056 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 9:58 PM

I'm due to upgrade my A350 and am deliberating the same two options. Happily I won't be paying for the upgrade - it will be a 25 year service pressie from the boss...... I'm still not sure which to go for though Smile

AlanWillis
AlanWillis e2 Member 566 forum postsAlanWillis vcard England
8 Sep 2012 - 10:17 PM

Calibration of lenses make your photos pin sharp. without this facility the A65 in a non starter.
As for NEX. It is totally let down by the E fit lens quality. You can buy ( very expensive ) adaptors to use it with Alpha or Nikon lenses etc
but still not have the functions of the A77.
I have used the A77 for over a year now and love it.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96056 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2012 - 10:22 PM

I vaguely thought about the NEX but I have the Fuji X10 which is my 'handbag' camera so plan to opt for either of the biggies - but not the latest offering - that is beyond the bossman's budget Smile

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
8 Sep 2012 - 10:29 PM

Quote: As for NEX. It is totally let down by the E fit lens quality.

Not so. This one, though pricey, seems to be none too bad. Wink
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_carl_zeiss_sonnar_t_e_24mm_f_1_8_za_...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2012 - 2:20 AM

Quote: I vaguely thought about the NEX but I have the Fuji X10 which is my 'handbag' camera so plan to opt for either of the biggies

The Fuji x100 ? it shares a lot of the same features of the x10, menu system, close up function etc.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3796 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2012 - 8:53 AM

If my SONY A55 is anything to go on in this thread........The other day tripped over an exposed root and fell very heavily face forward with a sickening thud, fortunately I had presence of mind to extend with hands rather than the usual one, to help break my fall.

My SONY A55 and TAMRON 70-300 took a heck of a bashing especially as my 14.5 stones was lying across them after the initial crack of impact.

As a fit 74 year old I was lucky not to have broken a wrist or wrists, but both I and the camera survived with just a few scratches and hurt pride( in my case) ......So I have nothing against the sometimes sneered at and despised plastic bodies of many well manufactured cameras.

I have checked all camera functions thoroughly and all is well.

Hobbo

cattyal
9 Sep 2012 - 9:02 AM

Quote: I vaguely thought about the NEX but I have the Fuji X10 which is my 'handbag' camera so plan to opt for either of the biggies

The Fuji x100 ? it shares a lot of the same features of the x10, menu system, close up function etc.

Nah - the X10 serves my purpose well and this is the only time I'm realistically going to be able to afford to upgrade the SLR ie. at someone else's expense Smile

macroman
9 Sep 2012 - 9:20 AM

Quote: Sydney,
Calibration of lenses make your photos pin sharp. without this facility the A65 in a non starter.

Seem a rather cavalier attitude to what appears to be a good piece of kit.

Microfocus adjust seems to be the new buzz-word, the holy grail of photography, how did we ever manage without it? Is it all 'smoke and mirrors'?

I have looked at some references and the examples shown usually, are often of image crops extensively enlarged to prove the point.
Whether it's evident at 'normal' print sizes I don't know.
Also are you going to be forever resetting it every time there is a bit of wear in the system?
We are in danger of becoming paranoid over minor technicalities and theoretical issues, are you a photographer or a camera technician?

In the past with film we took it on trust that the autofocus was 'accurate' and given that the film plane could be buckled or out of flatness it must have been a miracle that we ever obtained a single image in sharp focus.

Last Modified By macroman at 9 Sep 2012 - 9:30 AM
AlanWillis
AlanWillis e2 Member 566 forum postsAlanWillis vcard England
9 Sep 2012 - 9:54 AM

[quote]Sydney,

Seem a rather cavalier attitude to what appears to be a good piece of kit.

Microfocus adjust seems to be the new buzz-word, the holy grail of photography, how did we ever manage without it? Is it all 'smoke and mirrors'?

If image quality is not important to you? so be it. I would like to add that micro adjustment is more important for long lenses.
I must admit the pursuit of perfection is a curse I have to live with,Soft images are like singing out of tune some people can tollorate it. I envy the likes of you who do not care about progress.

Last Modified By AlanWillis at 9 Sep 2012 - 9:58 AM
macroman
9 Sep 2012 - 10:21 AM

Quote:
If image quality is not important to you? so be it.

I just like to keep things in perspective.
These 'micro adjust' fanatics tend to show the worst case scenarios, in many cases the errors would tend to cancel each other out unless you are very unlucky.

Quote: and envy the likes of you who do not care about progress.

During my life I've witnessed plenty of 'progress'. Smile

And remember that the worlds most iconic and memorable images have been mainly captured with basic standard film cameras.

On another tack, would it have been better if Sony had ditched all those damned silly 'in camera' effects and kept the focus adjust for those who may need it?

cattyal
12 Sep 2012 - 7:50 PM

Possibly daftly what is currently swaying me towards the A77 is the articulated screen. I have the Sony R1 which has a very flexible screen (which I'd not part with for all the tea in China) - and the A77 screen seems to go in all directions too - very useful when one has creaky knees and a neck that won't bend anymore!

Scottelly
Scottelly  235 forum posts United States
16 Oct 2012 - 8:14 PM

I think someone has forgotten to tell you about the #1 reason for buying the A77 instead of the A65 - weather seals. if you use a weather sealed lens, like the 16-50mm f2.8, then you should probably get an A77. Oh, and the buffer for shooting raw is bigger, so you won't have to wait for your camera to write to the card as much, if you shoot with an A77 instead of an A65. Those are not all of the features. There is the faster flash sync speed, and other things, like the control wheels. Yes, instead of just one, which has to be used for both the aperture and shutter speed adjustment, you get two (one on the front and one on the back), so you can control aperture with one and shutter speed with the other. This is very nice, and I found I really liked that feature on the Nikon D700 and other high-end Nikon cameras. If you don't shoot all manual, you may not care about this. For instance, you might shoot in aperture priority mode, allowing the camera to set your shutter speed. Then all you have to do is use the control wheel on the back of the camera to adjust the aperture. Then maybe two control wheels is no advantage to you. Still, the A77 has its advantages. I am going to get the A65, because I feel that the extra money is better spent on another lens, rather than some bells and whistles. If I had a bigger budget, I would buy the A77. It is faster, more versatile, weather sealed, and tougher. That is a lot of extras for only $500 more. Besides, in the long run, I will have 6 or 7 lenses, and if I only have 6, rather than 7, I don't think that will matter much. For now though, I will have 4 lenses rather than 3, and that is more significant to me.

macroman
16 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

Quote: I am going to get the A65, because I feel that the extra money is better spent on another lens, rather than some bells and whistles. If I had a bigger budget, I would buy the A77. It is faster, more versatile, weather sealed, and tougher. That is a lot of extras for only $500 more.

My thinking as well, it's nice to have all these Bells & Whistles, if you really need them, but I've been taking pics for over 60 years quite happily with normal cameras, and with the Alpha 100 for the last 5 of them, and I find that there are enough knobs and buttons on that to keep me happy (and confuse me, joking Smile ) so I don't really need any more.

Hopefully I'll be getting an A65 in the next couple of weeks, and then we'll see how it goes.
I'm mainly interested in the extra image quality from the 24mp sensor than anything and the 10FPS continuous shooting fo action shots..

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.