Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony A700

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
24 Sep 2007 - 12:44 PM

Does anyone know what the UK price for this will be yet? It's supposed to go on pre-order today on the Sony website, but as yet they haven't updated.....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Sep 2007 - 12:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RipleyExile
24 Sep 2007 - 12:54 PM

999 body only.

dwilkin
24 Sep 2007 - 1:16 PM

Thanks for that! Might have to wait for it to hit the streets before upgrading, then... Sad

Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
25 Sep 2007 - 9:35 AM

Unlike the other manufacturers Sony have their own outlets - so-called Sony Style shops - so they try to stop other sellers from discounting too much by limiting supply. Sony always start the price off very high to fleece the impatient (e.g. PS3) and it will only drop when demand falls.

It's basically a competitor for the 40D so it's price should be less than 800, not 1000, but that's not going to happen till after Christmas. But, look on the bright side, by that time they should have sorted out the biggest bugs and bundled better software so it's worth waiting. The thing I like about it is the brilliant LCD and the wireless remote control.

MeanGreeny
25 Sep 2007 - 10:00 AM

After several bad experiences with other [non photo] Sony products by virtue of their complete lack of anything approaching customer service, I'm curious about how well they have supported the SLRs already sold.

With such a premium on their products you'd think they had the cash to support their audio, laptop and TV sales etc as befits their brand.

dwilkin
25 Sep 2007 - 10:03 AM

Quote: After several bad experiences with other [non photo] Sony products

Oh yes - if it wasn't for the bagful of Minolta mount lenses at home, I wouldn't touch a Sony camera with a 30 foot greasy barge-pole. Unfortunately, switching to Canon or Nikon would cost me a LOT more in the short term....

Thincat
25 Sep 2007 - 1:05 PM

Quote: After several bad experiences with other [non photo] Sony products by virtue of their complete lack of anything approaching customer service, I'm curious about how well they have supported the SLRs already sold.

I think we'd need an independent survey to find out - like the JD Power car reviews - but I don't think there is one.

From my own point of view I have no worries about buying Sony stuff. I've bought their TVs and audio stuff for over 30 years now and never had a single problem. If anything had gone wrong I think it would have been down to the retailer - not the manufacturer - to sort it out. Where irreparable problems have occurred on Minolta 7D/5Ds Sony have done a reasonably good job of sorting them out, from what I read on the forum.

When it comes to digital cameras, of which I've bought a lot (and wasted a lot of money), there are only two that have broken and they were both Nikons - money back in each case. But this is obviously statistically meaningless. If you want to read complaints about about cameras/lenses/service, go to the dpreview Canon forum. You'll find many more complaints there than on the Sony forum, but again it's meaningless because there are a whole load of Canons out there.

Last Modified By Thincat at 25 Sep 2007 - 1:13 PM
jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
25 Sep 2007 - 4:36 PM

Sony flat sreen TVs are very good. Image quality on the Bravia is astonishing.

Thincat
26 Sep 2007 - 1:29 PM

Quote: Sony flat sreen TVs are very good. Image quality on the Bravia is astonishing.

The thing is that Sony and Samsung share the same high tech flat panel factory in Korea, so the panels are very similar, but Sony charges a lot more. It looks like a rip-off until you look at the end result. The Sony is built like a tank (it doesn't creak with temperature changes) and it has manual control over almost everything you can think of - including the all-important back light control. It's worth the extra IMO, and the picture, even on Freeview, is astonishing.

TheGlaswegian
28 Sep 2007 - 10:55 AM

I think that Sony will be a major player in the Digital SLR market and that their cameras/equipment will eventually be more than a match for Canon & Nikon. Sony are a massive company and can afford to throw a lot of resources into camera development.

Kako
Kako  8136 forum posts
28 Sep 2007 - 5:41 PM

I agree with the comments above that it is very likely Sony will become a major force in DSLRs and could easily afford to challenge Canon and Nikon dominance if they decide to . It will be interesting to see if Panasonic also go down this road as one is usually reluctant to let the other achieve a major presence in a previously virgin market for them both.

The good news hopefully is that we consumers should benefit from the extra competition. Good though both Canon and Nikon products are, I can't help feeling that their pro and semi-pro gear is massively overpriced. My suspicion is that a camera retailing for 2,000 - 2,500 (inc vat) probably only costs about 300-350 to produce.I don't suppose we have any ex buyers on here who could shed any light on profit margins mainly factory price - distributor (i.e Mfg profit).

I'm surprised also that Pentax haven't made more of a splash in semi-pro/pro market. For sheer value for money my 'Best Buy' at the moment would have to be K10D with kit lens for about 480! I'd love to see them produce a model to compete head on with the Canon 5D but costing
1000-1100 (body). That would really put the moggy amongst the feathers.

Snapper_T
Snapper_T e2 Member 10848 forum postsSnapper_T vcard United Kingdom
29 Sep 2007 - 3:43 AM

I'm going to hang on until the new year before maybe getting an A700, but then there is talk of the flagship sometime in the spring, who knows.

Also the A700 price may have dropped a little.

Trev

kombizz
kombizz  9591 forum posts United States1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2007 - 5:47 AM

I totally agree with dwilkin about what he said about Sony.
Unfortunately can't sell my dearest Minolta family as I love them.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2007 - 12:05 PM

I'll give a year, price should have dropped to a reasonable level

Thincat
29 Sep 2007 - 1:42 PM

The thing to remember is that 999 is RRP of the A700, which is probably about the same RRP as the Canon 40D. Sony "style" will give themselves a window to sell at a premium rate before stock is allocated to the discounters, and they'll sell at RRP. None of the discounters have quoted a price yet, to the best of my knowledge. When they do we'll have a first indication of what the street price is. And it'll be a lot less than 999. My guess is 899 by November, 799 by January.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.