Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony A99

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
AlanWillis
11 Sep 2012 - 12:57 PM

Tomorrow 12th September should be the announcement of the A99.
I am expecting 10FPS, 24 mp, Full frame, fast and accurate focus,with 103 focus points, and Image quality to beat any camera in it's price range.
I do not trust photo magazine reviews, because they are compromised by advertising revenue.
There is an unbiased review due out shortly, I will put the link here, as soon as possible.
Also I will with the help of my friend Malc ( In- flight kingfisher photographer ) compare it with the 1D mk 4 Canon.
Although the Canon is only 18 mp it has dual processors, which makes it faster focusing than the 5D mk3
For his photos see my kingfisher of Europe group:
http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/kingfisher-of-europe--813/forums/topic/ring-or-...

Last Modified By AlanWillis at 11 Sep 2012 - 1:01 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Sep 2012 - 12:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
11 Sep 2012 - 1:22 PM

A99? I go one better mines an A100. Grin

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 2:13 PM

I never got past A3, is the rumoured full frame compact camera also true???

On a serious question is it optimised for sports/action use? Sounds like an interesting camera I hope it turns out to be good.

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Sep 2012 - 2:50 PM
AlanWillis
11 Sep 2012 - 2:39 PM

Quote: A99? I go one better mines an A100. Grin

You are correct, You can get the best out of what you know.
In my opinion 90% of the photo is down to the photographer,
But I think it's worth learning something new to improve the last 10% as well.

AlanWillis
11 Sep 2012 - 2:44 PM

Quote:

is it optimised for sports/action use? .

Time will tell, The focusing system has phase detection and 103 focus spots, and 10FPS ( to be confirmed, but info from someone who has used it )
should I hope make it useful for sports/action

AlanWillis
12 Sep 2012 - 12:02 PM

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsi-body/slt-a99v/features#tab

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 12:06 PM

If anyone has any questions about the latest cameras, post them here as Josh is with Sony all week so should be able to answer any technical questions.

And here's the first stages of our hands on of the Sony A99

Last Modified By Pete at 12 Sep 2012 - 12:09 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95956 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 12:43 PM

Way beyond my pocket - or rather what the boss is prepared to spend on me - sadly. I think I'l make do with the A77 Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 1:26 PM

2500, body only, puts it head to head with the Nikon D800 and the Canon 5D Mk III.

A comparison will be interesting.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 1:33 PM

Josh has taken some ISO test photos now. Sony A99 ISO test

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 1:42 PM

Are the ISO test shots originally RAW files or jpg's ?

I suspect jpg's as CS6 / Lightroom etc. probably does not support the A99.

In which case are they "pure" images or with Noise Reduction switched on ?

Unless of course Sony has used the same RAW format as the A900 Wink .... Can Josh check that one out ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 12 Sep 2012 - 1:45 PM
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 - 2:02 PM

JPEG images, default settings, so ISO NR likely to be on, and on standard settings. Will check re: RAW format, and also the noise reduction options as I know people are interested in that.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 2:04 PM

We need to have a comparison of RAW images really.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 - 8:02 PM

Unfortunately RAW images can't be published as they are pre-production cameras we are using.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi for me the more interesting areas of this camera will centre around performance, how good is the new AF system do you see advantages? I would hope that this approach could give an improvement to focusing for sports and action use that could be a good plus point for this camera. I see they have kept AF trim so they are not mixing the contrast AF data from the image sensor to tune AF, I wonder why not?

I am pretty confident that with Sony's recent performance the new 24mp sensor is going to have excellent low noise and high dynamic range but I guess we should wait till detailed reviews are in. I also guess we can assume Sony have optimised this for light gathering rather than go chasing more resolution which from a personal point of view I think is a good thing 24mp is a lot of resolution.

A couple of things confuse me, for example video feature set, fast AF is that good for video? does it not create problems or viewers? and it only offers AF at lens wide open why no contrast AF for stopped down lenses? Anyway not a big video on SLR cameras fan myself so its not a biggie, just a question.

Of more interest sadly it looks like it follows Canon and Nikon recent pricing :-( so its not a low cost option. and also like those companies why does it not have blue tooth/wireless built in, come on Sony you are strong here so get a march on the rest use your strength and add good features. I would trade GPS for a smart linking attribute. Would they have been better off launching a lower cost basic full frame SLT now and getting the march on the rest, then follow up with a high tech high price niche market top of the range camera later? If the Canon And Nikon rumours are true they may have missed a chance there.

Frame rate looks confusing, is it 6fps with AF enabled, and 10fps with no AF? Could be me not reading the info correctly.

Its interesting, but I think Sony could have released a related product, keep the same sensor and cut the AF down a bit, live with slower frame rate and a simpler body design and produced an @ 1,800 full frame camera with wifi link capability so you could drive it from your Sony phone/tablet and uploaded directly to Sony DNLA device. Oh and option to have contrast and phase detect AF working together, go on Sony you know you could do it and are best placed to knock spots off the rest.How many 7F/D300/5DII users would twitch and think of buying?????

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.