Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony A99

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AlanWillis
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:07 PM

My A99 is being delivered tomorrow, I will calibrate my 300G 2.8 lens and try to get a kingfisher photo.
    I have a friend who is already in possession of one, and hopefully we will get a kingfisher sitting on it, I did this a year ago with the A77
    The only downside I have found with the A77 has been noise at high ISO, and speed of focusing.
    I know the A99 has solved the noise problem. Over next weekend My friend Malc ( who is a kingfisher in-flight photographer ) will test the focus speed. If the A99 passes the test it will be one of the best cameras in it's price range. Up to now Sony have trailed in the high end camera market. The 5D mk3 Canon and The D800E Nikon have shone. I will let you know if the Sony A99 has joined the ranks of these two?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54168 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:30 PM

Interesting. But a bit out of my price range. Still good to see the results though.
    x

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54168 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:31 PM

OFGS. Another flamin' group.

joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    23 Oct 2012 - 10:35 AM

Sounds really interesting, I look forward to seeing results! Smile

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 11:29 AM

Would love to know how the EVF shapes up. One reason I bought an A900 was the excellent OVF. An EVF seems like a step in the wrong direction to me...

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 12:32 PM

If it helps Jools follow this link to a review of the A99 by an happy A900 user and their thoughts. On EVF they said.

Quote: I had been grumpy all week while we were shooting in Algonquin, complaining that I was not happy using the A99's EVF in either bright sunlight or dim forest glens. I simply knew from four years of experience shooting with the A900 and its large glass prism and mirror, that I was not "seeing" as effectively as I was used to, or would have liked to be.

At the end of the week when we returned to the studio, to get a handle on what we were seeing (or not) Nick Devlin and I did a side by side viewfinder shoot-out . We lined up the A99, A900, Sony NEX-7, Olympus OM-D E5 and Fuji X-E1. (Original typo corrected). We put on lenses of comparable focal length and maximum apertures and looked though the cameras, focusing and composing, both indoors and outdoors and under varying light levels.

The point was not to pick a winner (though in the EVF category we thought that the Olympus was superior in terms of clarity and refresh rate) but we wanted to particularly compare the A900 DSLR's traditional prism and mirror against the A99's EVF. In the end it wasn't that the A900 optics were all that much larger and brighter (indoors they were in fact less bright, though the A99's was more noisy), but that the clarity and accuracy of a really good OVF system was missed. It's as simple as that. I would say that if you're new to photography within the past 5-8 years this won't bother you. If you've shot with a full frame DSLR (film or digital) in the past, you may want to visit a Sony Style store or other retailer before jumping into an A99, just to be sure that it's what you expect, and that you think that you can find happiness with for the next few years.

One day when the last of the optical VF / mirror reflect cameras disappear from the shelves and the buyer has no choice this will have become academic, But in the meantime against price and or segment competitive cameras such as the Nikon D800, D600, and Canon 6D, comparisons are in order unless one is totally committed to ones existing lens collection.

I think the EVF is one of those Marmite things at the moment.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 2:22 PM

Quote: My A99 is being delivered tomorrow

Be interested to know what you think of the focus assist areas / focus tracking feature.

Quote: Would love to know how the EVF shapes up

Not entirely certain but talking to the Sony guy in Park Cameras last Saturday you may be able to switch off the " Live View" ( EVF ? ) and just use it as an optical viewfinder.

AlanWillis
    23 Oct 2012 - 10:39 PM

Took my A99 to the river today and captured a kingfisher, I have programmed the silent wheel to change the ISO.
    Misty and a little rain with black clouds. ISO at 1600 is about the same as the A77 at 160.
    ISO at 2500 is about the same as A77 at 250. Saturday I have arrange for a friend with another A99 to do the kingfisher on camera shot. Being wildlife not totally guaranteed.
    Also we will try some in-flight shots. I have posted ISO 2500 and ISO 1250. on this group only. It's my first day with the camera and I need to get used to it.
    I have had the A77 over a year and the EVF gives me no problems, I feel you see an accurate image of what your' photo will be.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.