Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Sony A99 Announced

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Steppenwolf
    12 Sep 2012 - 9:05 AM

There's a preview on DPR which looks very encouraging. It's mainly as trailed in the Sony Rumours site but the main surprise is that it has phase detection AF both as a separate AF sensor and also built into the chip, which is said to give better focus. The new 24Mp FF sensor is also designed to optimise light reception from all angles. It's smaller and lighter than Canikon FF cameras and will significantly undercut them in price. It also has the usual SLT movie capability which, as DPR says, "is likely to be enjoyed particularly by photographers wanting to get the most out of their video clips without having to re-train as a video focus puller". It's going to be interesting to see how good this new sensor is.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 12 Sep 2012 - 9:06 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Sep 2012 - 9:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318457 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Sep 2012 - 9:12 AM

Some specifications here Sony A99

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Sep 2012 - 10:06 AM

Good to know that there will be a Sony FF camera available to fall back on if my A900 has a mishap.

Not sure it was such a good idea to discontinue both the A850 & A900 without a replacement..... cannot imagine such a scenario at either Nikon or Canon ! !

Hope my local camera shop can get Sony along with the A99 for an hands on demonstration Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 12 Sep 2012 - 10:07 AM
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4605 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    12 Sep 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you have any questions about the new Sony products, let me know. I'll try ask and reply.

JJGEE
    12 Sep 2012 - 12:01 PM

Admittedly I have only had a quick look at the details but have not yet spotted anything relating to dynamic range ?

Has that been improved ?

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318457 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Sep 2012 - 12:08 PM

There's a group set up here for photos taken using Sony Alpha cameras which includes a forum on the A99

joshwa
    12 Sep 2012 - 6:40 PM

In answer to JJGEE, they have developed a new full frame sensor, in response to complaints about the levels of noise the previous full-frame sensor had. The new sensor is said to have the best image quality in Alpha history, with "high resolution, wide dynamic range and high ISO sensitivity for corner to corner high quality images"

In fact, it's probably best to show you the pictures explaining the technology implemented in the full frame sensor.

p9120170-001.jpg

p9120170-002.jpg

p9120170-003.jpg

JJGEE
    12 Sep 2012 - 7:16 PM

Quote: In answer to JJGEE,.......

Thanks Josh

joshwa
    12 Sep 2012 - 7:57 PM

They also say that the new sensor has dynamic range 2.4x wider than the A900 (In the RX1 brochure). Smile

Steppenwolf
    13 Sep 2012 - 9:57 AM

Sony are pricing it a bit higher than was expected - 2500 puts it in competition with the D800. Even if it's a better camera it'll struggle at that price. I wonder how much they're going to charge for the rumoured 36Mp FF SLT which arrives early next year - I guess that'll be more than the D800. Sony's newly designed 300mm f2.8 is also very expensive. Looks like they've decided that selling at a loss to get market share isn't working.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2012 - 3:00 PM

It will probably drop about 10% quite quickly but will still be above the "psychological" 2k mark. Hmm....

If there is a 36Mp SLT they will have to be very careful with their pricing because of the Nikon D800.

JJGEE
    14 Sep 2012 - 10:31 AM

Well, the A99 was only officially released 2 days ago and not available for a few weeks BUT my local camera shop has it for pre-order with a discount of 201 at 2,499 ! !

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.