Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sony Adapter

4 Jan 2013 11:00PM
Is the Sony NEx adapter , to allow the access to the range of quality Minolta and Alpha lenses, worth the 290.00 investment?
NEX5n and 7

I'm looking for a good ,fast mid range zoom say24-105 ,or 28-135 or thereabouts; but the cost of adapter plus decent lens is almost the cost of a reasonable Canon SLR body plus say, 24-105 F4 lens

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Jan 2013 12:50AM

Quote:Is the Sony NEx adapter , to allow the access to the range of quality Minolta and Alpha lenses, worth the 290.00 investment?
NEX5n and 7

I don`t think it is worth the investment, most adapters for other CSC cost half that at least.

Have you already got a Nex or are you just thinking about getting one.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
5 Jan 2013 8:10AM
5 Jan 2013 2:23PM

Quote:Is the Sony NEx adapter , to allow the access to the range of quality Minolta and Alpha lenses, worth the 290.00 investment?
NEX5n and 7

I'm looking for a good ,fast mid range zoom say24-105 ,or 28-135 or thereabouts; but the cost of adapter plus decent lens is almost the cost of a reasonable Canon SLR body plus say, 24-105 F4 lens

There are two Sony adaptors for NEX (E-mount) to allow use of the Alpha (A-mount) lenses:

- LA-EA1 (about 150 where obtainable) which will autofocus with SSM/SAM (8 pin) lenses, but not with screw drive lenses.

- LA-EA2 (about 250) which effectively turns your NEX into an SLT with fixed mirror and phase detection AF. Its AF works with all A-mount lenses.

Is the EA2 worth the money? If you want the best, with no compromises, yes. After all your camera and lenses are not cheap, so why mess about with stuff that doesn't work properly for the sake of a few quid.

Link on adaptors:

Dyxum link
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Jan 2013 7:04PM
If your prepared to spend all that on a Sony nex and an expensive adapter to fit a small number of lenses, why not just get a Sony DSLR, it would work out cheaper.
7 Jan 2013 9:17AM

Quote:If your prepared to spend all that on a Sony nex and an expensive adapter to fit a small number of lenses, why not just get a Sony DSLR, it would work out cheaper.

They don't make any.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Jan 2013 3:45PM

Quote:They don't make any

Any of what ?

I can`t see the point in wanting to add an adapter with a built in mirror box to a Nex.
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2013 7:52PM

Quote:Is the EA2 worth the money? If you want the best, with no compromises, yes. After all your camera and lenses are not cheap, so why mess about with stuff that doesn't work properly for the sake of a few quid.

For the sake of it, surely it would be better to get a Sony digital camera? Why spend lots of cash on a compromise that only makes your existing camera 'like' an SLT camera anyway? Personally, I'd question the phrase "the best, with no compromises". For that money, you can buy into a camera system that has the accessories you really want. There are better lenses out there than the Sony and Minolta ones, and much cheaper adapters.

Nick
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Jan 2013 10:14PM

Quote:For that money, you can buy into a camera system that has the accessories you really want. There are better lenses out there than the Sony and Minolta ones, and much cheaper adapters

The posters a Canon user so I guess he understands system backup.

Quote:I'm looking for a good ,fast mid range zoom say24-105 ,or 28-135 or thereabouts; but the cost of adapter plus decent lens is almost the cost of a reasonable Canon SLR body plus say, 24-105 F4 len

A basic M4/3 set up camera + lens can be had for less than 300, how ever the better lenses are still going to cost.
8 Jan 2013 8:54AM

Quote:
For the sake of it, surely it would be better to get a Sony digital camera? Why spend lots of cash on a compromise that only makes your existing camera 'like' an SLT camera anyway? Personally, I'd question the phrase "the best, with no compromises". For that money, you can buy into a camera system that has the accessories you really want. There are better lenses out there than the Sony and Minolta ones, and much cheaper adapters.

The EA2 adaptor allows you to use any A-Mount lens (including old screw-drive legacy lenses) on a NEX with FULL function - i.e. including phase detection tracking AF, as on the SLTs. That's what I call "no compromises". For what you get 250 is pretty cheap - and if you've got a NEX camera and a few A-mount lenses it's worth it. You get a camera that can function as a CSC (with the E-mount lenses) or as an SLT. Neither Nikon nor Canon can match this.

As for there being "better lenses out there than Sony or Minolta" - like what? The Minolta G, Sony G and Zeiss lenses are a match for anything out there. Nikon and Canon have a bigger range, of course (although no AF mirror lens Wink), but their quality is no better. In fact the Sony 70-400mm G is probably the best consumer-priced long tele zoom that you can get.
Sooty_1 e2
8 Jan 2013 11:49AM
I feel another crusade coming.......
Sooty_1 e2
8 Jan 2013 11:57AM
From the OP's post, it sounds like he doesn't yet have any Minolta or A lenses, so my comment really means why buy into that particular system where you maybe don't have the choice that other systems offer. Especially if the OP is a Canon user already?
In answer to your question about betters lenses, why not go all the way and get a Leica adapter? Plenty of Leica users got NEX bodies to use their existing glass on a digital body when digital Ms cost 5K new.

The real answer is for the OP to decide on the lens he likes and get an appropriate adapter. Investing hundreds of pounds in a compromise would seem a waste.
Sooty_1 e2
8 Jan 2013 12:08PM
Having just looked at the reviews of the lens you mentioned, it doesn't sound like a world beater. They all say the AF isn't that fast, out of focus highlights are horrible and the silver colour is not that attractive. They also say that it is no better than equivalent lenses from other manufacturers and its very expensive, so I'm guessing its not really in the op's ballpark.
8 Jan 2013 1:05PM

Quote:They all say the AF isn't that fast, out of focus highlights are horrible and the silver colour is not that attractive.

Really. Not in the reviews I've read. AF is mainly down to the camera, BTW, and if you're worried about what colour the lens is then I'd suggest the Nikon 1 system - you can get some of them in pink. Grin

Quote:In answer to your question about betters lenses, why not go all the way and get a Leica adapter? Plenty of Leica users got NEX bodies to use their existing glass on a digital body when digital Ms cost 5K new.

I remember reading an article in AP where they reviewed the NEX-7 and said that some of their reviewers thought it was better than the Leica M9 (despite being a fraction of the cost). As for using different makes of equipment in a system I tend to steer clear of that. I've tried mixing brands of lenses/TCs and found that the results are usually not very good (with a few exceptions) and sometimes don't work at all. I now stick to OEM all the time because I know it'll work - everything I have is Minolta/KM/Sony because I know there will be no compatibility problems down the line.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2013 1:14PM

Quote:They all say the AF isn't that fast, out of focus highlights are horrible and the silver colour is not that attractive.

Really. Not in the reviews I've read.

You don't read many reviews then.... Wink

Quote:AF is mainly down to the camera,

Not when I compare my Canon 70-200 with my Canon 70-300 IS USM on the same bodyt - I would say the lens is a major player in speed of AF because the lenses have the motor as well as contribute to the processing required to adjust focus.
Or were you being specific to the NEX series?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.