Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony alpha

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
flashertwo
9 May 2007 - 8:08 PM

Anyone using sony alpha? I would appreciate your views , I have dynax5 and some good lenses do I go for sony or ditch the lot for canon 400 which seems to be the best one if you can believe all the views expressed. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 May 2007 - 8:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 8:36 PM

if you have a collection of good Minolta lenses then the Sony would seem to make the most sense

User_Removed
9 May 2007 - 8:39 PM

I concur.......Still miss my Minolta 100mm macro Sad

Last Modified By Dave at 9 May 2007 - 8:39 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 8:40 PM

At the moment you're not gaining a great deal moving from the Dynax 5 to the current Alpha (assuming you have the digital SLR and not the film camera) But Sony promise some much more advanced models in the future, so worth holding on a touch longer I feel.

RipleyExile
9 May 2007 - 9:07 PM

If you've got some good Minolta glass I'd go Sony. If I could afford it I'd be hanging around to see what the 'enthusiast' model is like that's due to come out later in the year. I went from Dynax 5 to Dynax 5D and haven't regretted it. Minolta are still there, they're just working for Sony now.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 9:14 PM

I had a Minolta Dinax, and because I had a few lenses I naturally went for the Alpha, Otherwise I would of gone for the Cannon

flashertwo
11 May 2007 - 7:38 PM

thanks for all your comments,looboss how is the alpha,are you pleased with it or otherwise?

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2007 - 8:58 PM

Oh The camera is great I love it, it's just the lenses I decided to keep that I'm having second thoughts about Smile

flashertwo
12 May 2007 - 6:29 PM

thanks looboss, I think I shall go for the alpha,thanks to everyone again, good snapping

CTee
CTee  749 forum posts United Kingdom
13 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

I spent all day Saturday supporting taking photos at a hockey tournament using my Alpha, with the kit 300mm lens, providing shots for sale.

Despite not having 'glass', great action shots, very few out of focus or with camera shake, with approx 600+ photos taken (there were some down to dodging the balls!).

Well pleased with it, and when a pro with 4000 + worth of kit genuinely passes comment "that he was well pleased with the results".

I have had my Alpha since October and I can say I'm well pleased, the only let down was a club studio night when I discovered that the hot shoe connection was not compatible with any of the studio light remotes and there is no sync lead connection. I hadn't sussed out the wireless flash at that stage though!

davewaine
davewaine  7115 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2007 - 1:34 PM

I've had my Sony Alpha since Christmas and I am chuffed to bits with it. I have read some negative reviews of the kit lenses, but I have both of them (rebodied Minoltas in truth) and absolutely no complaints about either. If I spent my life potholing or in war zones, I might think twice, but I don't so it isn't an issue.

Photogeek
Photogeek  8605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2007 - 9:27 PM

I've had my Alpha since just before Christmas, and I love it. I am really interested in whats coming next from Sony as I suspect I'll be upgrading fairly quickly. Especially if they manage to do something about the high ISO noise. If I hadn't gone for the Alpha then the Nikon D70 would have made it into my bag. As It happens I managed to bag a couple of quality pieces of glass (70-210 Beer Can and a 100mm Macro - Thanks ColWal Smile ) for an absolute bargain .

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

Silly question if its so good why upgrade so soon? Is that not a contradiction? A friend has one and is over the moon with it. It allows him to use his old Minolta glass as well so he felt it offered him a cost effective camera system.

Photogeek
Photogeek  8605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2007 - 5:41 PM

Actually I hadn't really thought my way through that statement . . . Don't drink and chat on the forum at the same time! . . . It is an excellent camera for my purposes, the only niggles are No sync socket so I have to go with a poor mans IR trigger, and the lights I have only have one slave unit . . . PITA, and the noise is noticable above ISO 400 not that I go there that often.

The new model(s) are reputedly going to be 1.2/1.0 Crop factor which will be great for wide angles with my present glass without having to get a sigma 10-20 or 12-24 . . . again not that I go there often, although I'm thinking of doing some Bill Brandt type distored nude stuff so ul;tra wide would be handy.

I suppose that I would actually be better off spending the cash on an Epson 3800 Smile

Last Modified By Photogeek at 17 May 2007 - 5:44 PM
ecowarrior
17 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

pics of new sony alpha released today:

HERE

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.