Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony Alpha 77 Compatability with older Minolta Lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tcwobble
    tcwobble  12
    12 Mar 2013 - 1:53 PM

I am considering the purchase of the subject camera, however I have an old Minolta XG2 salted away somewhere (check attic) with a couple of old lenses. Before I commit I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain/confirm whether or not my old lenses will fit the Alpha 77. I would prefer not to take the lens with me to undertake a trial in the shop. Thank you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Mar 2013 - 1:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pablophotographer

if I am not mistaken (cause I tried that with the Centon lens xf300 - copy of Minolta x300 with Sony a100 when it came out) the manual lens would fit only with the help of my teleconverter (although you may search for adaptors). The connections of the Sony A frame had no place to interact with the Minolta manual lens. I undertsnd they do communicate with the autofocus Minolta lenses.

Ray12
    Ray12 e2 Member 173 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2013 - 3:00 PM

Hello, the first camera i had was a film camera Minolta 505si which came with a 28-80mm i also have a 70-300 Minolta lense, when i bought a D7 and the a100 thay were also fine with those cameras
    I now have upto date lenses and the A77. The only thing that the manual says about using minolta lenses on the a77 is that you have to have the "Electronic Front Curtain Shutter"turned OFF.
    Hope this is of some help

Ray12
    Ray12 e2 Member 173 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2013 - 3:28 PM

Hello again i ment to say the Minolta 7D not the D7 Sad

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hi

the minolta XG2 is a good old manual focus camera from memory so the lenses will conform to the MC or MD lens mount. to my knowledge the later Sony cameras use the autofocus mount that they called the A mount. And sony have since re-branded this the "alpha" mount or the symbol for that. So your old XG lenses will not fit directly.

You can get an adapter like this to allow those old lenses to be fitted but note the limitations of use and the optical quality may be compromised by the adaptor. you may be better off getting newer Sony or Minolta lenses

Last Modified By strawman at 12 Mar 2013 - 11:49 PM
    strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2013 - 11:55 PM

oops should have said the later Minolta cameras used the Alpha mount,

tcwobble
    tcwobble  12
    13 Mar 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thank you to pablophotographer, Ray12 and strawman for responding, your comments have been most helpful and I have decided to 'splash out' and buy the Sony 75300 lens if I can find one.

deavilin
    deavilin  10322 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2013 - 3:20 PM

I have one for sale on eBay almost newSmile

Charlotte

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221255314484?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.