Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony Alpha 7r

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JimL
    JimL e2 Member 780 forum postsJimL vcard United Kingdom
    13 Jan 2014 - 12:50 PM

Anyone using the Sony Alpha 7 or 7r. any good.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jan 2014 - 12:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jan 2014 - 1:30 PM

You could try here

Steppenwolf
    13 Jan 2014 - 1:45 PM

I imagine it's excellent - a technological tour de force. I just don't understand who it's aimed at.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7763 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jan 2014 - 2:09 PM

Quote: I imagine it's excellent - a technological tour de force. I just don't understand who it's aimed at.

Ditto - as a proof of concept it's a fantastic piece of kit. In practical terms I could only see this being an attractive proposition if you only need fairly short range [and therefore small] primes. When I take out my 5DII it's not really the size of the body that's the major encumbrance. Always good to see the amount of innovation Sony bring to the market though.

JimL
    13 Jan 2014 - 3:10 PM

I read the Photozine review on the 7r & the 7. the latter getting the better review of the two, I was hoping someone might have used one or the other and, let me know what they thought about them. Thanks

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    13 Jan 2014 - 4:50 PM

Will be getting the A7r at the end of January after a long wait.
    The problem at the moment being the availability of the 35mm prime.
    There are at present only a few other dedicated lenses available from Sony but that'll change plus Samyang are launching some dedicated glass too, which could be very exciting.
    Beside that, I think it will be a brilliant camera and should make some Canikon owners jump ship.
    It used to be very tiring lugging a canon 5D2+24-70L about especially with a dodgy back.

bwana4swahili

I've owned an A7R for a little over a month. I don't have any Sony lenses; however, I have used Canon, Minolta, Pentax, M42, T2 lenses and a couple of telescopes ranging from 8mm to 2000mm focal length (with various adapters) on the camera with, what I consider, good success! This is my first Sony camera... I have, to this point, been a Canon fan for almost forever.

Since I plan to use the A7R for astrophotography my testing has been aimed in that direction, i.e.: how much noise can I expect at higher ISO settings. I have concluded the noise levels of the A7R at ISO6400 are about the same as those at ISO1200-1600 on my current Canon 60D's (one unmodded and one full spectrum) and I've even got what I consider to be reasonable nightscapes at up to ISO12800 (when aligning and stacking multiple subs). I have been quite pleased with the A7R's performance, so much so that I have sent the camera out for a full spectrum conversion for use both for IR photography and full spectrum astro-imaging.

I have yet to resolve one major issue; the lack of an intervalometer (wired, wireless or internal) for the A7R that will allow capture of multiple subs with exposures beyond the 30sec maximum of the camera. I may have a solution for this using an IR intervalometer; as yet untested.

I do really like the internal HDR and Multiframe (noise reduction) features of the camera and the potential for some very interesting/useful Camera Apps at some point in the future. I had hoped the Time-Lapse App would allow exposures greater than 30sec BUT sadly no Sad !? I wouldn't think this would be an enhancement too hard to add?

So far I am quite pleased with the A7R Smile .

bwa

jovanovic
    jovanovic e2 Member 3jovanovic vcard France
    13 Jan 2014 - 8:54 PM

I use the A7 and I'm very pleased. You can see some of the photos in my gallery taken with the A7 and Nikon lenses. For me, after NEX7, this camera is a logical upgrade.
    Z

JimL
    15 Jan 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thanks to the people who replied. very interesting and some really nice images.

mike_j
    mike_j  2 United Kingdom
    18 Jan 2014 - 9:15 PM

I have just bought a Sony A7 body only primarily to use with Leica lenses but was considering buying a 18-55mm NEX kit lens to give me a small autofocus zoom lens for casual shots. How well doe this lens work on an A7?

Seems to sell for about £50 on ebay so very cheap relatively.

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111534 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2014 - 6:11 PM

Quote: The A7 and Olympus are designed for people with college degrees that are making over $75K or senior citizens to shoot & enjoy.

What can us working class oiks use? Tongue

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4551 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2014 - 6:35 PM

"The A7 and Olympus are designed for people with college degrees that are making over $75K or senior citizens to shoot & enjoy.".......?????????

I wish my state pension would cover the cost of an A7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Sad

bwana4swahili

Quote: The A7 and Olympus are designed for people with college degrees that are making over $75K or senior citizens to shoot & enjoy.

I nicely fit the latter category and love the camera (actually the Sony A7R)! I've never used an Olympus. To this point in my life I've been a diehard Canon or Pentax user.

The A7R allows me to use all my old 35mm film camera lenses (Pentax, Minolta, M42, Canon FD and T2) and Canon EF lenses w/ adapters. It also works nicely with a 2" nosepiece on my telescopes for astrophotography (superb image quality at high ISO's and long exposures!)

I can't comment on image quality using Sony or Leica lenses; I don't own any (and probably never will). But the A7R makes every lens I own look pretty darn good!

And the Focus Peaking feature sure does make using old lenses in manual mode easy... for us ol' farts!

bwa

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.