Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sony Alpha A7S

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2014 9:11AM
The Sony Alpha A7S has a 12 megapixel full-frame sensor, and some extremely impressive low-light / noise performance, as you can see in our review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-alpha-a7s--ilce-7s--review-25855

With better out of camera JPEG noise performance than the 16mp FF Nikon Df, and 20mp FF Canon EOS 6D.

What do you think?
Would you go "back" to a 12 megapixel camera if it meant excellent noise performance?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
30 Jul 2014 9:20AM

Quote:Would you go "back" to a 12 megapixel camera if it meant excellent noise performance?

Well, I suppose that depends upon whether you take a lot of images where noise may be an issue in the first place.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2014 10:12AM
If someone was that bothered, they would not be looking at out-of-camera jpeg noise they would be looking at what they could do with the raw file; and we have no idea of the relative noise reduction settings used to generate the jpegs from the different cameras.

Having said that, I have often wondered what they could do if the (for example) 5Dmk1 sensor was given the modern processing engines.
30 Jul 2014 2:01PM
I think SONY has finally listened to people who use a camera. For most practical applications 12Mp is plenty, and RAW is also much easier to handle when it is not that large.

I still use my old trusty 5Mp EOS10D for portrait work , but prefer newer 18Mp EOS550D for landscape,architecture, action, etc. Often not for resolution but for faster response and better processing engine.

So the final answer to OP question would be - depends, I well might put the overall image quality over extra resolution.
8 Aug 2014 5:21PM
Yes, as a Sony user, A-37/57 and a few SAM/Minolta A mount lenses, we on the Sony Alpha forum have been lobbying Sony for years to at least produce as good a Jpeg out put as the competition. It seems they have at last succeeded or at least with the A7. I also use a Canon 550D bought second hand recently purely for landscapes. Nothing exotic, just their budget 18-55 USM STM lens and the Jpeg results are superb.

I have to be honest and admit that my old Canon 450D at 12mp gave exceptional IQ with very low noise. I might look for another body. I cannot be bothered with any thing over 16/18mp as lenses will struggle to do the sensor justice unless your prepared to spend on high end glass, I'm not. Overall IQ is what I look for, not just resolution.
Niknut e2
4 740 64 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2014 8:07PM
My Canon 5D still knocks spots off anything else I've ever used......I never need ISO above 800, so noise simply isn't a problem !!

I would imagine that with a more up-to-date internals, from maybe the 6D, it would raise the usable ISO range....but I simply don't
need it............

The one thing that bugs me about the Sony A7 series is the very shallow back-focus, where the sensor is very close to the back
of the lens......the image quality in the centre is impressive, but near the edges of the image circle the light rays must be hitting the
sensor at a very acute angle.....not good ? I believe Sony are looking into curved sensors to alleviate this problem ???, but will
it work across a variety of lenses ?, from extreme wide-angle to extreme tele lenses ????....I have my doubts !

The A7 series looked extremely promising in concept, with a great compact build for a full-frame camera, but it leaves too many
doubts in my mind............

I'm sticking to my 5D.....bulky, heavy(ish), but exquisite image quality for my type of photography, & I love it !!!!!.Grin

PS....Kodachrome....wanna 500D in mint condition ?....15mgp, small, light, with great IQ ????????.Smile
9 Aug 2014 8:05AM
Niknut you old salesman you, Lol, I have to aggree with your comments re the Sony 7 and I totally aggree with your comment on Canon. Lets be fair, although no camera is perfect, Canon got it right and like wise, my 550D produces some pretty stunning [When I get it right] pictures.

Canon have always been a bit Iffy with their zooms especially at the budget end, well untill STM hit the scene, but they have excelled with primes as they did with the FD lenses decades ago. The one area where I think my Sony A-57 SLT excels is those gorgeous Sony colours and a dynamic range that is class leading. Some of the comments on the photoclubalpha forum have been mixed about the new Sony 7 series, but generally its highly regarded. The new A-77 and A-99 are up there with the best. Thanks for the offer, but i'm banned from any more purchases if you know what I mean.
Niknut e2
4 740 64 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2014 2:26PM
GrinGrinGrinGrin !!!!.....I know well what you mean Peter !.........I'm scared to even mention new cameras when they come out, I just
get a 'humph' from she-who-will-be-obeyed !!!!!!!.WinkGrin
9 Aug 2014 3:00PM
Just point out how many shoes and hand bags she has!
Niknut e2
4 740 64 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2014 3:23PM
GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin !!!!!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.