Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony Awards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

If there was ever ONE picture that you should look at, it's the "winner" of the People section of the Sony Awards.

A single picture, it's the antithesis of all that's bad about photography competitions and a good lesson in why you should never waste your time and money entering them. It is, quite possibly, the worst competition winning picture I've ever seen - and I was a judge for 15 years.... feast your eyes my friends.... Sony Awards and pass the sick bag.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2013 - 5:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
19 Mar 2013 - 6:01 PM

What about the portrait section of the youth awards

"Ariadna in Urquinaona by Berta Vicente took first place in the portrait section of the youth awards. He said: "One day I came across an uninhabited building. Once inside, I imagined a girl I used to meet in the bus there, I made it true.""

So, it's a sloping shot of a building, with someone photoshopped into it....

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012542 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:25 PM

I like them Grin

How can you not smile at the winner of the 'Smile' section?

scottishphototours

Quote: I like them Grin

How can you not smile at the winner of the 'Smile' section?

All of them??!! - I was referencing only one image but love the "Smile" winner.

BigBri's right - what signal does the winner he refers to send out to young photographers? - "if you can't take the picture, make the picture"??? - sorry, that's all wrong in my eyes.

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:40 PM

Quote: What about the portrait section of the youth awards

"Ariadna in Urquinaona by Berta Vicente took first place in the portrait section of the youth awards. He said: "One day I came across an uninhabited building. Once inside, I imagined a girl I used to meet in the bus there, I made it true.""

So, it's a sloping shot of a building, with someone photoshopped into it....

Not a worthy winner IMHO. There are some strange winners, but what do I know! Smile

paulcookphotography

Dont you just love how these competitions bring the photography community together... to bitch about others' work!

With regards to the junior winner: I dont see anything wrong with it. Its not breaking any of the outlined rules

With regards to the People section winner: Its not my cup of tea, but it is typical of what you see in a lot of competitions these days. Personally i think its possibly the cultural difference that attracts some interest, but its certainly more interesting than looking at a typical wedding photograph

Big Bri
19 Mar 2013 - 6:56 PM

Quote: With regards to the junior winner: I dont see anything wrong with it. Its not breaking any of the outlined rules

I'm not saying it breaks the rules, but there must have been a better portrait that was actually shot in camera..... surely.....

paulcookphotography

Quote: With regards to the junior winner: I dont see anything wrong with it. Its not breaking any of the outlined rules

I'm not saying it breaks the rules, but there must have been a better portrait that was actually shot in camera..... surely.....

So therefore an edited image, while within the rules, should not win against a shot that is unedited? Doesn't really make much sense

Big Bri
19 Mar 2013 - 7:15 PM

You seem to be having some difficulty understanding what I'm saying, so I'll not bother trying any harder.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 7:34 PM

Quote: but there must have been a better portrait that was actually shot in camera..... surely.....

If you didn't read the caption, would you have really known?

OK, I didn't really quite get that wedding shot, but I love most of them.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 19 Mar 2013 - 7:38 PM
NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 8:14 PM

If anybody is interested please feast you eyes on the HIPA awards, some stunning images here........https://www.facebook.com/HIPA.ae

Having spent some time in the Middle East (Saudia) the images bring back memories for me, the photography is inspiring........please visit and enjoy.....GrinGrinGrinGrin

Whoops the link does not work.............just go to Facebook and type in HIPA...........GrinGrinGrin

Last Modified By NaturesHaven at 19 Mar 2013 - 8:15 PM
puertouk
puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 10:08 AM

The winner of the 3D shot was sloping to the right!!!!!!!!!!

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5180 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 12:27 PM

The people winner dosn't do it for me but photography is subjective and it looks technically ok so I wouldn't judge too harshly.

Regarding the youth winner my initial positive reaction was deflated a little when I saw it had been manipulated rather than shot in camera.

Love the smile winner and the old Chinese man in the panoramic of his house.

Last Modified By derekhansen at 20 Mar 2013 - 12:27 PM
samueldilworth
20 Mar 2013 - 2:08 PM

I like some of the winners much more than others, but Berta Vicente didnít ĎPhotoshopí the girl into her photograph of the building. She met the girl on the bus and asked her to go to the building, and there she photographed her. Thatís what is meant by making it true.

Berta Vicente is nineteen. At that age most of us thought a wistful girl in a window was high art. Maturity provides scepticism, but itís always easier to criticise than to do (just ask me).

If you want to complain about Photoshop, and for the record I do, isnít Gilbert Yuís photo of the Fung Shun fire dragon dance a better target? It looks like a painting. Or Rush Hours by Manny Fajutag, which looks like a dreamscape.

Donít you find the happy couple winner of the people section the least bit interesting? The manís hands holding the shoes so straightforwardly, honestly, without pretence? (Hands themselves are symbols of honesty.) His feet splayed gracelessly, since this is a candid moment and not a time for putting on airs? The woman with her sore feet up? The alignment of the painting with his head? The beauty of youth? The head-on camera angle revealing all? The black-white-black-white motif from left to right across the frame? To me this photo pits honesty against the charade of the event.

Any legitimately challenging statement will be controversial.

Apparently these photos go on show in April at Somerset House, which is my favourite building in London. They might look very different in such a setting.

FlawedDesign
20 Mar 2013 - 2:09 PM

The Japanese wedding shot caught my eye. The woman looks calm and ready....and the poor bloke looks horrified!! Grin 'Happy Couple' Love it!
(however I think you can see the photographer stooped in the reflection of the hung picture)

The Smile one with the children inside the truck... makes me smile looking at it!! Very cute and shows the inventive side of the young...IS THAT A TOM AND JERRY TSHIRT?! - Jealous for my childhood!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.