Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100

Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
17 Nov 2012 6:31PM
Apologies if there is already a thread but I can't find the search function in the forums!

So I was looking at Dan Cheung's top camera list in the Guardian today and this handsome chap caught my eye. Not that I am looking. Definitely not. But if I were to think about upgrading my Canon s95.... well there seems to be glowing praise for this camera - more than the Canon G1X which was another contender for me. Anyone here a user?

Thanks

Sus

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Nov 2012 6:49PM
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
17 Nov 2012 6:59PM
Interesting, thanks

Quote:despite the camera specs saying it is capable of 10fps, we were not able to replicate this

Quote:lack a flash hot-shoe

Quote:The rotating front dial doesn't click, so it can feel like guess work as to where the setting will end up when turning it

Bummer. Enthusiasm dampened somewhat.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
17 Nov 2012 7:18PM
One of those nice in theory, but not so great in practice, devices. Wink

Like my camera phone. Sad
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 7:23PM
If you can live with a fixed lens the Fuji x100 is still right up there.

http://asia.cnet.com/15-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-fujifilm-x100-62206200.htm

http://jonathanfleming.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/fuji-x100-super-high-speed-sync/
kitz 8 84
17 Nov 2012 9:04PM
It's the best true compact camera I've ever used. The controls are spot on, the front dial doesn't 'click' but has just the right resistance to be easy turned but not by accident. The image quality is outstanding even in low light. It beats my Canon S100 hands down in all areas and is the same size so slips in a trouser pocket when I don't want to or it's not practical to take my dslr.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 9:31PM
One thing Sony have always been good at is hashing the specs, they claim the sensor is 1" but it only measures 15.8mm, not 25.4mm (diagonally)
kitz 8 84
17 Nov 2012 9:34PM
But 'at the end of the day' it's the image the camera delivers that surely counts and they are impressive from this little compact IMHO.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 9:38PM
The little fuji`s are good as well, this one is about the same size as the S100, and probably every bit as good as that Sony.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-xf1-review-20616
kitz 8 84
17 Nov 2012 9:42PM
Yes, there are some great little cameras around. So much choice, so little money.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
18 Nov 2012 1:06AM
That Fuji does look good. Not sure that any really justify an upgrade quite yet though. One thing that puts me off is having to learn a new grading system, like I've just worked out the Canon one - what's prosumer and what's snapper.... and I am not sure about any of the others. Traditionally I have just veered towards the big two, plus previously an Olympus user so would always be happy to consider returning to that. Think I might have to start considering a bit wider...
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
18 Nov 2012 1:07AM
kitz what camera are you talking about, the sony or the fuji?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
18 Nov 2012 2:39AM

Quote:That Fuji does look good. Not sure that any really justify an upgrade quite yet though. One thing that puts me off is having to learn a new grading system

Quote:what's prosumer and what's snapper

To me the prosumer is the largest of the compacts like your G12, Nikon P7700 etc.

Your snapper camera`s for me are the smallest up to and including your S100, RX100, Fuji xf1 etc, small enough for almost any pocket.

Then there are your compacts, to big for some pockets, good for a hand bag or coat pocket, your LX-7, XZ-2, Fuji x10 and so on, these often have as many features as your prosumers like hot shoes, decent leaf shutters on so on.

But if your prepared to pay 400/500 on a high end compact just to slip it into a hand bag or coat pocket a small CSC might be good way to go, dslr quality in a compact size

http://camerasize.com/compare/#387,332

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-mini-e-pm2-review-20656
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
18 Nov 2012 3:05AM
CSC - do you mean mirrorless?
I follow what you say about size, its the camera names that confuse me, letters and numbers that are meaningless to someone who's not familiar with the nomenclature of that manufacturer. Sometimes they glorify the snapper cameras so much that I wonder, is this an enthusiasts camera or not?

Happy to pay a high price for a high end compact (husband won't be reading this I hope!), but heard bad things about mirrorless shutter lag.

Really have to get more use out of my 5DII before I consider another purchase (I have used my canon s95 a lot, but don't seem inspired to post stuff from it, because I can't do creative stuff with flash)
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
18 Nov 2012 5:02AM

Quote:but heard bad things about mirrorless shutter lag

There`s no more shutter lag than you wuld get with a dslr, the epm2 can shoot at 8 fps, with no shutter lag.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.