Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Apologies if there is already a thread but I can't find the search function in the forums!

So I was looking at Dan Cheung's top camera list in the Guardian today and this handsome chap caught my eye. Not that I am looking. Definitely not. But if I were to think about upgrading my Canon s95.... well there seems to be glowing praise for this camera - more than the Canon G1X which was another contender for me. Anyone here a user?

Thanks

Sus

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 6:49 PM

Epz own review

Sus
17 Nov 2012 - 6:59 PM

Interesting, thanks

Quote: despite the camera specs saying it is capable of 10fps, we were not able to replicate this

Quote: lack a flash hot-shoe

Quote: The rotating front dial doesn't click, so it can feel like guess work as to where the setting will end up when turning it

Bummer. Enthusiasm dampened somewhat.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 7:18 PM

One of those nice in theory, but not so great in practice, devices. Wink

Like my camera phone. Sad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314911 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 7:23 PM

If you can live with a fixed lens the Fuji x100 is still right up there.

http://asia.cnet.com/15-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-fujifilm-x100-62206200...
http://jonathanfleming.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/fuji-x100-super-high-speed-sync/

kitz
kitz  781 forum posts
17 Nov 2012 - 9:04 PM

It's the best true compact camera I've ever used. The controls are spot on, the front dial doesn't 'click' but has just the right resistance to be easy turned but not by accident. The image quality is outstanding even in low light. It beats my Canon S100 hands down in all areas and is the same size so slips in a trouser pocket when I don't want to or it's not practical to take my dslr.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314911 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 9:31 PM

One thing Sony have always been good at is hashing the specs, they claim the sensor is 1" but it only measures 15.8mm, not 25.4mm (diagonally)

kitz
kitz  781 forum posts
17 Nov 2012 - 9:34 PM

But 'at the end of the day' it's the image the camera delivers that surely counts and they are impressive from this little compact IMHO.

Paul Morgan
17 Nov 2012 - 9:38 PM

The little fuji`s are good as well, this one is about the same size as the S100, and probably every bit as good as that Sony.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-xf1-review-20616

kitz
kitz  781 forum posts
17 Nov 2012 - 9:42 PM

Yes, there are some great little cameras around. So much choice, so little money.

Sus
18 Nov 2012 - 1:06 AM

That Fuji does look good. Not sure that any really justify an upgrade quite yet though. One thing that puts me off is having to learn a new grading system, like I've just worked out the Canon one - what's prosumer and what's snapper.... and I am not sure about any of the others. Traditionally I have just veered towards the big two, plus previously an Olympus user so would always be happy to consider returning to that. Think I might have to start considering a bit wider...

Sus
18 Nov 2012 - 1:07 AM

kitz what camera are you talking about, the sony or the fuji?

Paul Morgan
18 Nov 2012 - 2:39 AM

Quote: That Fuji does look good. Not sure that any really justify an upgrade quite yet though. One thing that puts me off is having to learn a new grading system

Quote: what's prosumer and what's snapper

To me the prosumer is the largest of the compacts like your G12, Nikon P7700 etc.

Your snapper camera`s for me are the smallest up to and including your S100, RX100, Fuji xf1 etc, small enough for almost any pocket.

Then there are your compacts, to big for some pockets, good for a hand bag or coat pocket, your LX-7, XZ-2, Fuji x10 and so on, these often have as many features as your prosumers like hot shoes, decent leaf shutters on so on.

But if your prepared to pay 400/500 on a high end compact just to slip it into a hand bag or coat pocket a small CSC might be good way to go, dslr quality in a compact size

http://camerasize.com/compare/#387,332
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-mini-e-pm2-review-20656

Sus
18 Nov 2012 - 3:05 AM

CSC - do you mean mirrorless?
I follow what you say about size, its the camera names that confuse me, letters and numbers that are meaningless to someone who's not familiar with the nomenclature of that manufacturer. Sometimes they glorify the snapper cameras so much that I wonder, is this an enthusiasts camera or not?

Happy to pay a high price for a high end compact (husband won't be reading this I hope!), but heard bad things about mirrorless shutter lag.

Really have to get more use out of my 5DII before I consider another purchase (I have used my canon s95 a lot, but don't seem inspired to post stuff from it, because I can't do creative stuff with flash)

Paul Morgan
18 Nov 2012 - 5:02 AM

Quote: but heard bad things about mirrorless shutter lag

There`s no more shutter lag than you wuld get with a dslr, the epm2 can shoot at 8 fps, with no shutter lag.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.