Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kitz
kitz  781 forum posts
18 Nov 2012 - 3:34 PM

The Sony, the point of a cameras like these is their size. Like your S95, you can carry it all day in a shirt or trouser pocket. No small compact will give you the results of a dslr (not yet anyway). I have the S100 also, but the Sony IQ is far superior.

Last Modified By kitz at 18 Nov 2012 - 3:46 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Nov 2012 - 3:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314951 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 5:02 PM

I wouldn`t like to spend all day walking around with a camera in a jeans pocket, no matter how small it is Smile

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 6:36 PM

Small is nice, but something a bit more substantial that has great quality is better. Something that can be comfortably worn slung across the chest. The Canon 350D with the 50mm was perfect weight, perfect size. So I don't bother checking out whether its slim, weight is more of an issue.

Thanks for clarifying kitz, ooooh maybe it can't hurt to have a quick fondle when I'm in the shop...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314951 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 7:09 PM

This is not a pocket camera, but its good and solid.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

kitz
kitz  781 forum posts
18 Nov 2012 - 8:41 PM

Oh I don't know Paul, at least the girls think you're pleased to see them Wink

kitz
kitz  781 forum posts
18 Nov 2012 - 8:43 PM

Last time I had a quick fondle in a shop................. I think the restraining order is still in place Smile

Sus
18 Nov 2012 - 9:46 PM

I usually get asked to leave when I start drooling over the cameras....

Steppenwolf
19 Nov 2012 - 9:17 AM

Quote: One thing Sony have always been good at is hashing the specs, they claim the sensor is 1" but it only measures 15.8mm, not 25.4mm (diagonally)

That's what's called 1" in sensor terminology, for some reason.

What about the Nikon V1? This is a CSC - Nikon's first attempt. It's now being superseded by the V2 so the V1s are being sold off cheap. WEX have them at 295 including 10-30 lens and bag which is roughly 1/3 original price. It gives great image quality and is very fast (60 fps is claimed). Ir also has a decent EVF. Sometimes you get great bargains by buying the old model.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 19 Nov 2012 - 9:18 AM
Steppenwolf
19 Nov 2012 - 9:46 AM

Post Script: The V1 has the same sensor size as the RX100 but it's a CSC with interchangeable lenses for more flexibility and it's got a proper view finder so it's in a slightly different league.

Sus
19 Nov 2012 - 9:54 AM

Sounds tempting, but don't really want to buy into a new set of lenses - I've got canon. And I'm an incorrigable early adopter, so would have to be the V2!

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 1:34 PM

Quote: Post Script: The V1 has the same sensor size as the RX100 but it's a CSC with interchangeable lenses for more flexibility and it's got a proper view finder so it's in a slightly different league.

Different league? Not in IQ it isn't, nor in usability if you don't want to leave everything up to the camera. It also isn't pocketable, which the RX100 [almost miraculously] is. I agree the V1 does now look like a great bargain, but its lack of PASC control [which is now addressed] made it unsuitable for 'enthusiast' photographers who wanted an alternative/supplement to a DSLR.

The strength of the RX100 is that it is a pocketable camera that arguably comes closer to DSLR quality/usability than any other camera that size.

As with all cameras it depends what you want and the compromises you're prepared to accept [and every single camera on the market has its trade-offs, be that quality or size/weight]. Fortunately there's plenty of choice out there and if your pockets are deep enough you can buy into alternatives for different situations.

Steppenwolf
19 Nov 2012 - 1:50 PM

But the RX100 has no viewfinder which makes it pretty useless IMO. The V1 has a good EVF. The IQ of each is probably pretty similar. The V1 lacks a few buttons but as a good quality CSC with superb AF, very fast frame rates and loads of features it's a real steal at 295. Does great video too. I'm almost thinking of getting one instead of the NEX-6.

Paul Morgan
19 Nov 2012 - 2:40 PM

Quote: What about the Nikon V1? This is a CSC - Nikon's first attempt. It's now being superseded by the V2 so the V1s are being sold off cheap

The strength of the RX100 is that it is a pocketable camera that arguably comes closer to DSLR quality/usability than any other camera that size

YES the Nikon uses the same size sensor as the RX100, so that as well is not really using a I" sensor, again its a fair bit smaller.

Steppenwolf
20 Nov 2012 - 9:00 AM

Quote:
YES the Nikon uses the same size sensor as the RX100, so that as well is not really using a I" sensor, again its a fair bit smaller.

That's what's called a 1" sensor - don't blame Sony for that, blame the people who invented the naming convention. There's a table below.
Read this

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.