Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sony Nex 7 or LumixGX1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 2:39 PM

I have recently been in hospital and its made me think about changing and selling my camera the Nikon D300 and buying the Sony Nex 7 but a friend has suggested its gimmicky and mentioned the Lumix GX1 I know very little about either and couldn't find the Sony in the local shop. I am not able for the time being to traipse around (feeling so very weak) long story! I would like some help please from members of EPZ - I like taking pics of wildlife but have also dabbled a bit in landscape and I quite enjoy macro.
thanks Ann

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2012 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
30 Aug 2012 - 3:20 PM

Personally, I'd keep the D300, especially if you have several lenses for it.

I can't comment on either of the specific cameras that you mention but, in a general sense, my impression from reading magazines reviews (for whatever that might - or might not - be worth) is that Panasonic Lumix cameras tend to be better regarded - price for price - than Sony.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Aug 2012 - 3:20 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 3:36 PM

If you want a decent compact system camera I would pick the OM-D over the Nex 7, there both priced about the same.

Feeling very weak, or recovering you will find the OM-D`s IS very handy.

https://vimeo.com/41085256

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4395 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 3:57 PM

There are reviews/details of both the NEX-7 & the GX1 in the EPZ REviews section !

The sensor in the Sony is the same size as your D300.....(APSC size)

The sensor in the GX1 is very roughly half the size...........(Micro 4/3)

The Sony has a hi-res EVF so can be used at eyelevel as with your D300.....but the GX1 hasn't one so has to be composed like most compacts on the rear screen !
though there is an accessory EVF available at extra cost !!

The Sony is about twice the price of the Panasonic (about 900 I think ??)......but my choice would be for the outstanding results from the Sony !!!...I'd love one myself !!!.Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 4:01 PM

Quote: he sensor in the GX1 is very roughly half the size...........(Micro 4/3)

No its not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg

Sure you would love the GX1 or OM-D, same sensor size, Smaller lenses than Sony with a lot my choice.

GX1 body has no IS or evf.

OM-D body has both built in, great IS and viewfinder, tilting screen that`s great for low level work, and weather sealed, the kit lens is also weather sealed and is great for macro/close up.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 30 Aug 2012 - 4:09 PM
Steppenwolf
30 Aug 2012 - 4:16 PM

The NEX-7 is in a different league to the GX1 - it should be as it's more than double the price. The NEX-7 is basically a professional mirrorless camera with a state of the art EVF and possibly the best APS-C sensor on the market. The GX1 is a cut down M4/3 camera without an EVF (which makes it pretty useless unless you like taking photographs looking at the LCD). They not in the same market.

The problem with NEX is that the lenses are large (because NEX has the APS-C sensor) so it's not an ideal choice for wildlife if you're trying to reduce equipment weight. I'd be inclined to go for M4/3 - something like a Panasonic G5. It'll be lighter and smaller than the D300 (and the lenses will be also) and won't give away much, if anything, in image quality or high ISO capability. It'll also be easier to use for macro shots because of the smaller sensor.

PM - the m4/3 sensor is "roughly half" the area of the APS-C sensor - it's about 60% of the size. So you're losing about a stop.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 30 Aug 2012 - 4:26 PM
Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4395 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 4:21 PM

APSC sensor....23.7mm x 15.7mm......372 sq.mm area !

M4/3 sensor....17.3mm x 13.0mm.......224.9 sq.mm area !

224.9 divided by 372 = 0.6 !!!.....or 60% !!!!!!!!!!......a little more than half !!.

I stated that it is VERY ROUGHLY HALF the size !!!!!!!!!........& I stick to what I said !!!!!!!

lawbert
lawbert  71640 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 4:32 PM

I really cant give any helpful comment Ann about the cameras but I do hope you feel better soon and can make sense of the maths above!!Wink

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 4:36 PM

O dear I am not good at the techie bits, thanks for input so far - I can't stick with the D300 it's the weight I have to consider, I have thought long and hard about this. I have heard good reports of the Lumix GX1 but having already made a few mistakes along the way with camera kit I thought the help of EPZ members is needed hereSmile

ChrisV
ChrisV  7663 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 4:50 PM

I've got a G3 [which now looks like a cheap and cheerful version of the G5]. I quite like the way the Panny's work, but with unlimited budget (for lenses as well), The OM-D does look like the king of m4/3 at the moment in terms of both build-quality and high ISO performance.

But I still find myself principally using my 5DII for a couple of reasons. First is probably because I have far better lenses for the Canon kit and that makes a huge difference. The second is although the best lens I have for the Panny is the 20mm 1.7 pancake [and that is pretty good], I do miss the DoF control I get out of the much larger sensor in the 5D. There just seems to be a more 'filmic' quality which I like.

But it depends on the style/subject of the photograph. In good light where a deep focus is required, there isn't a HUGE difference in IQ for a lot of functional shots. Once conditions become trickier, that's when I'm thankful for the more capable heavy kit. I'd love to be able to travel light though and I'm trying to persuade myself to just take the Panasonic gear with me on holiday.

To sum up for the OP, the Sony and GX1 aren't really equivalents, and the former isn't going to save nearly as much in weight once you factor in a few lenses, but will give more DoF control. You pays your money...

Paul Morgan
30 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

Quote: I've got a G3 [which now looks like a cheap and cheerful version of the G5]

I still use a G2 Smile

Paul Morgan
30 Aug 2012 - 6:57 PM

Quote: I really cant give any helpful comment Ann about the cameras but I do hope you feel better soon and can make sense of the maths above

Sensor size, image quality, Silly moot arguments, I`d rather watch paint dry, I could not agree more Smile

Ann could you get to a store and try a few out.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 30 Aug 2012 - 6:58 PM
Niknut
30 Aug 2012 - 7:55 PM

Pathetic !!!!

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2012 - 8:16 PM

Ann good luck in the recovery. It may help you to try and decide what it is about the D300 and its lenses you like, then work out what the lower weight alternative could be.

The best way to get to a low weight system is have a smaller sensor and use optically slower lenses. So I note you use a 70-200 f2.8 on your D300. If you go for a m4/3 camera (say Panasonic G series on the OMD mentioned) a 50 to 150mm lens will give you the same magnification or reach, and if its F stop number is bigger then both the camera and lens will weigh less than your existing Nikon ones.

The Sony NEX has the same size of sensor as your Nikon, so it will tend to have lenses of the same weight if they have the same optical properties. There are not as many NEX lenses out there so the choice is a bit limited, but if you were doing street photography then the NEX is a strong camera.

So in your shoes I would think about two cameras, Panasonic G5 or the Olympus OM-D. Hopefully the last link gives you hope and ideas as to potential for wildlife.

There re aspects of the Nikon performance that will be hard to equal, but if you are finding t too heavy and hard to use it could be they re better for you.

Good luck with the recovery.

Last Modified By strawman at 30 Aug 2012 - 8:19 PM
pluckyfilly
30 Aug 2012 - 9:15 PM

Thank you all for input very much appreciated, I couldn't find the Sony Nex in store but not in a rush so will re read all comments and investigate further. I do have the Leica V_Lux 3 as back up but find there is a delay in pressing the shutter and consequently I miss the shot if it's anything moving.

Thanks for the included good wishes, hospital was a nightmareGrin
Ann

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.