Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sony NEX range

Thincat e2
7 616
27 May 2010 1:29PM

Quote: But the rumours of the NeX-7 do sound interesting; where the targeted market seems much more the SLR user who's wanting either a portable camera or a backup. Still only rumours at this stage, but full 1080p video, more customisable overrides and a further improved sensor are starting to pique my interest for all those times when my A900 is just too big to carry around, or likely to get banned from events.
Tim Smile

If they can get the AF working for Alpha lenses and if the NEX-7 can do full HD video AND has an EVF, I'd buy one like a shot. This would be exactly what I've been looking for - an interchangeable lens camera without FF/BF plus the option of taking videos with your existing lenses and having a proper viewfinder. Magic. Sadly I don't think it's coming anytime soon. Thye can't even get out a successor to the A700. Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tigertimb e2
7 40 66 United Kingdom
27 May 2010 2:01PM
Still only rumours and questions about the A700 replacement and the NEX-7 but I'm hoping and expecting details for both by around late Autumn ( David Kilpatrick makes some interesting predictions though)

And we should know about the focus for Alpha lenses within a month or two and the expectation of a firmware fix.

As an aside, I did notice that a company called Rayqual will be making adaptors to fit Nikon, Canon and Leica lenses to the NEX range and plenty of rumours of others on the way too - wouldn't it be great if we ever get to a point where you pick body and lenses entirely independantly and can choose the best of each Tongue
Thincat e2
7 616
27 May 2010 2:42PM
I saw that on photoalphaclub. I would be exceedingly hacked off if Sony stopped putting lens motors in their DSLR camera bodies (except entry-level).

I guess the AF possibility in the NEX range is only on SSM/SAM lenses? There's always a catch, when you think Sony have finally made something right.
tigertimb e2
7 40 66 United Kingdom
27 May 2010 3:21PM
If the DSLR's themselves ever lose support for the screw drive lenses; then most of my lenses become worthless, including old Minoltas and new Sonys.
If they did this; I would essentially no longer consider this the same mount and would be looking at a system change.

And given that a large portion of Sony's own lenses are screw-driven (including the flagship Zeiss primes which have been attracting pros in combination with the A900) this would be an appalling marketing move. There would be no technical reason to drop the motor beyond cynical money making and I would suspect they would never recover from the trust and reputation they'd lose along with any user confidence in investing in a Sony system long term.

I therefore conclude that they would never do this (and desperately hope I'm right).

(And if screw-driven lenses don't focus with video as a limitation in the future, I would be happy to live with that)
Thincat e2
7 616
28 May 2010 8:30AM
Well it looks like the adaptor for the NEX range doesn't support screw-drive and the NEX bodies don't have focus motors, so who knows.
tigertimb e2
7 40 66 United Kingdom
28 May 2010 9:46AM
Sorry; I was referring to future Alpha DSLR's only, with the A-mount, not the NEXs with the E-mount.
I consider it a bonus that the adaptor even exists to support the SLR lenses on the NEX. It has full aperture control, and the expectation that it will support focus for lenses with the built in motors.

As far as I know; no-one else makes a compact camera that takes the lenses from their DSLR's and for some manufacturers even aperture control is manual for older lenses of the same mount.

I obviously have some of the usual bias of owning a Sony; but I think we should be applauding Sony for offering this adaptor for the NEX range at all, even if I share the though that it would have been superb if they'd managed to find a way to fit in a 3rd motor to drive the screw focus lenses
Thincat e2
7 616
2 Jun 2010 9:10AM
I still can't see the purpose of the NEX range. They've gone to a lot of trouble to make it very small - to the extent that they need a new lens mount and have ditched focus motors - yet, because it has a large sensor, the lenses are still huge, unless you confine yourself to the pancake. I guess the AF will be less accurate than a DSLR too.

I see a rumour that Sony may be making a pellicle mirror camera. This seems much more what I'm looking for. It should have the standard Alpha mount, plus accurate AF, an EVF and HD video with AF - perfect. The body'll be a bit larger than the NEX range but who cares. It'll also be cheap allegedly. The only thing missing will be IS as I doubt that Sony can get their in-body IS to work with video, but who knows, people said they coudn't get it to work with FF.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2010 10:13AM
I can see why they went for a new mount, they had to in order to make the lenses and body smaller. The decision to add video adds to the lens size as they then add in-lens IS. No doubt it will be possible to make sensor shift work for video but it strikes me as a lot harder than making in-lens IS work. As long as they have an adapter for the A mount lenses who cares. (You could even put an AF motor in it).

the A100/200 etc will probably drift towards mirror less for cost reasons. In body lens motor is a problem caused by the lack of investment in the Minolta years, they should really have gone in-lens motor much earlier. And due to the importance of video they will also be hit by the lack of in-lens IS.
Thincat e2
7 616
2 Jun 2010 2:06PM

Quote: In body lens motor is a problem caused by the lack of investment in the Minolta years, they should really have gone in-lens motor much earlier. And due to the importance of video they will also be hit by the lack of in-lens IS.

I don't think anyone thought, even a few years ago, that SLRs would need to provide video - it's almost crazy. The big advantage of SLRs is that you can change the lenses, but they seem to have forgotten that you can also change the body. Why are they trying to get upmarket DSLRs to do video when there are some glaring deficiencies that can never be resolved - proper AF for one. What I would like is for the DSLR to remain as it is - a no compromise stills camera - but I'd also like the option to buy a different type of camera body which can do good HD video using the same interchangeable lenses (and mount - no messing with adaptors) and also has a viewfinder - EVF of HD quality is fine. That's why I thought this rumoured Sony Pellix looks like a winner, but I'll believe it when I see it.
strawman e2
2 Jun 2010 3:18PM
I think video has sprung up from a number of areas. Compacts have offered video for a bit and many have found that getting access to the excellent SLR lenses and also the large sensor with its low noise and low depth of field has added a whole new dimension. Video focusing is video focusing no reason for an SLR to not have classic AF and liveview video focusing.

But to return to the NEX range, sony and Panasonic have seen a market for people moving up from compacts and they want to avoid the SLR size and weight but have a combined photo and video function.

Lets see where the next versions go. I have yet to see the camera I want from this. Perhaps Nikon will produce it with their bigger than compact but smaller than m4/3 sensor. If that is real
Fishnet e2
10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2010 4:57PM
The only comment I have is, as per usual, too expensive Tongue
Thincat e2
7 616
5 Jun 2010 9:12AM

Quote:The only comment I have is, as per usual, too expensive

Unfortunately the last government trashed the economy and presided over a 25% devaluation of Sterling so all imported goods are liable to be more expensive than they were. Some Chinese goods have nearly doubled in price.
strawman e2
5 Jun 2010 11:43PM
Like many things there are two sides.

Quote:and presided over a 25% devaluation of Sterling so all imported goods are liable to be more expensive than they were. Some Chinese goods have nearly doubled in price.
classic double edged sword, but it makes our exports more competitive and also making imports from China more expensive helps the economy and create jobs closer to home. So I view much of the latter bit as good news.

Also I do not think the UK government is nearly important enough to have caused the world financial recession however nice it may be to blame old Gordon.
cathal e2
10 492 4 Ireland
6 Jun 2010 1:23AM
I'm very interested in this type of camera.

To date, only the m4/3rds models have compatibility with their larger systems, while retaining functionality. Many Olympus 4/3 lens will autofocus on m4/3 bodies using an adapter. There are adapters to use Olympus manual focus 35mm lenses also, in addition to a host of other optics, including Leica M, and many legacy lenses.

I see tremendous potential in these cameras. For them to appeal to serious enthusiasts though, we need more primes. That (and a lack of funds) is what's holding me back.

As they are new systems, and work well as an addition to a dSLR system, brand allegiance is less of an issue. I think things will get interesting when Canon and Nikon join in. It would have been fabulous though if all manufacturers got together and agreed on a standard mount, so we could have had true cross system compatibility.

Alas, a missed opportunity.
Toonman e2
7 1.4k 2 England
6 Jun 2010 6:58AM

Quote:For them to appeal to serious enthusiasts though, we need more primes. That (and a lack of funds) is what's holding me back.

It's not just the new micro systems Cathal, some of the prices for lenses are just a laugh. A 50mm macro for my Olympus E600 is 438.99 on Amazon, I bought the E600 body with twin lenses and battery grip for 409 an old Olympus 50mm F1.8 lens 18 on Ebay and an adapter 9, all in = 436 that's 2 cheaper than the one 50mm macro lens. it just seems crazy to me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.