Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

sony rx100 v oly pen

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 121003 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
19 Mar 2013 - 6:29 PM

how does the sony rx 100 compare to oly pen or canon gx1

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2013 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314968 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:35 PM

Depends on what Pen, old or new.

youmightlikethis
19 Mar 2013 - 6:37 PM

I was thinking of pl5 or pm2

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314968 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:39 PM

No contest the Pen.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 8:48 PM

I've been having a similar internal debate... I like the Pens; the PL5 wins out of the two because of the swivel screen. I looked at the GX1 but was put off by the fixed lens. RX100 seems overpriced for what it is. I'm now considering whether to buy something like the Nikon P7700 (for a family trip to the states this summer) as I'm not sure I need another system camera.

Paul Morgan
19 Mar 2013 - 9:45 PM

If you want a good compact for the street, there`s not a lot that can touch an x10, x20, x100, or x100s Smile

Paul Morgan
19 Mar 2013 - 10:01 PM

Should of added, I was not talking image quality, its the handling and fun aspect, there simply camera`s that give you the urge to pick up and want to use.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 11:34 AM

Don't know the RX100, but I would surmise its one real advantage over any of the other cameras mentioned is that it is truly pocketable and includes a decent range lens that's fast at its shortest focal range [although disappointingly once you zoom in that diminishes to a fairly modest f4.9.

The PENs and GX1 [or Panasonic GFs] are interchangeable lens cameras, but would only fit into a fairly large pocket fitted either with one of the fixed focal pancakes, or alternatively Panasonic's neat little 14-42x [which is quite expensive and optically no better than the standard lens].

I like the GX1 - it's well built and for me features the best ergonomics of the group. The PENs I've tried don't appeal very much on that front and the newer GFs [after the GF1] are a bit too small and fiddly. But it depends on your shooting style - if you're [also] the type that likes to take control of the camera's settings I'd recommend the GX1. It has premium build quality and if you shop around, these days you can pick one up [body only] for around 300.

In fact look here - it's only 269 - which is an absolute bargain considering its launch price.

ChrisV
20 Mar 2013 - 4:22 PM

Edit - just noticed you said Canon GX1 - I assume you mean the G1X - which is a different thing altogether. Slightly larger sensor than the m4/3 cameras, but not by much. Also a little chunky to be pocketable, but it does have the virtue of an optical viewfinder if that's important to you.

Paul Morgan
20 Mar 2013 - 5:32 PM

Many got sold on the Claim that Sony used a 1" sensor in the RX100, its a fair bit smaller than 1".

I don`t think the poster was looking at a pocketable camera Chris, and even if he was, most if not all compacts will fit in some sort of pocket, your claims makes me laugh, no body in the right mind is going to want to carry a camera around all day stuffed into a tight trouser pocket Smile

Compacts, I would be looking at the Panasonic LX7, Olympus X-Z2, or one of the retro Fuji X`s I listed above that all have optical viewfinders.

CSC`s, something from Nikon (if your not looking at loads of lenses) Pen EPM2 or EPL5 for best features and huge choice of lenses, or the GX1 or GF2 if you don`t mind the stripped features like no in body IS or wireless flash support.

I recently picked up a GF2 kit with the 14mm lens for a bargain price of 169, shop around, there could be a few left, this combi really is small, its smaller than my x10 and many other compacts.

ChrisV
20 Mar 2013 - 11:38 PM

Quote: Many got sold on the Claim that Sony used a 1" sensor in the RX100, its a fair bit smaller than 1".

I don`t think the poster was looking at a pocketable camera Chris, and even if he was, most if not all compacts will fit in some sort of pocket, your claims makes me laugh, no body in the right mind is going to want to carry a camera around all day stuffed into a tight trouser pocket Smile

It's the same size sensor [possibly the same sensor] as that used in the Nikon 1 series. Quite a bit smaller than m4/3, but considerably larger than any true compact on the market - in spite of the fact that it really is proportionately in the same ball park. I don't know where your preoccupation with tight trouser pockets comes from - I certainly haven't mentioned any such thing. DPreview does however claim "it fits comfortably in a shirt pocket".

This will make you guffaw Paul - I carry a Fuji F550 around in my coat breast pocket all day long. Don't tell your room mates that one - I wouldn't want to distract them from watching the On the Busses repeats.

I certainly wouldn't carry my GX1 around in a trouser [or any] pocket all day long- aside from it being damn uncomfortable, the bulge might attract unwanted attention.

Steppenwolf
21 Mar 2013 - 8:04 AM

Quote: Many got sold on the Claim that Sony used a 1" sensor in the RX100, its a fair bit smaller than 1".

It's called a 1" sensor (for historical reasons). That's why Sony "claim" it uses a 1" sensor.

Table at the end

Paul Morgan
21 Mar 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes something about Cathode tubes dating back to the fifties Smile

youmightlikethis
21 Mar 2013 - 6:26 PM

thanks for replies just looking for something smaller than dslr would settle for g15 but have found g series is not the most user friendly camera out there. have powershot 220 which I like very much and and pl3 which are fine for street shots

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.