Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sony SLT a57

Broken 4 21 England
24 Jan 2013 11:15PM
Hi. I'm interested in taking more macro shots and I wonder if anyone can advise me regarding putting together a reasonably priced set-up, i.e LED light ring, Lens etc. I love taking photographs of flowers and insects. I have a 18-55 lens and a 70-300, at present and I would like to know how I can get some good results on a budget with extra gear. I'm in the UK.

Many thanks

Broken

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Broken 4 21 England
27 Jan 2013 2:50PM
I've got my budget Sony Macro and a Polaroid LED Ring light and some extension tubes. Sorted!
hobbo e2
3 891 2 England
27 Jan 2013 4:00PM
Hi, Broken,

Great to learn there is another Sony Macro Fan out there.....

I use SONY A55 , I do have a dedicated Macro lens but they are very expensive.

Your best bet, is to acquire from Amazon, a RAYNOX 125 a High quality Japanese made auxilliary macro lens that will clip onto the front of your 70-300 ( or most other lenses) and turn it into an effective Macro.

Look up RAYNOX on Google and YouTube ......

I seriously wouldn't bother with a ring flash or ring light.......just extend your on camera flash or your Speedlight with. Card hood lined with kitchen foil, with he open side diffused with taped on paper towel.......( many of the to macro photographers do this)

As to settings......a good start is F16 with S 160 that will freeze any subject movement, and camera shake......use a tripod for preference.

Please PM me if you need further advice on economic macro photography.

Hobbo
Broken 4 21 England
27 Jan 2013 4:47PM
Thank you, Hobbo! I have got them now. I got the budget Sony Macro lens and the light ring, as I saw such good results from them with other people. I also have a Manfrotto LED light which can be useful, too. My tripod is a Benbo Trekker Mk3 and I use it a fair bit, mainly in the garden for close-ups. I used to use someone else's Sigma 90 lens and got some great close-ups with that and my Sony a200. I'm finding the a57 so good.

I shall come back to you, as I'm still learning.

Cheers!
balacau 1 1
2 Aug 2013 10:53PM
I'd suggest picking up a used Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens. A new version (with the USD in the name) has recently been introduced and the older one has dropped in price, plus there are lots now up for sale in the used market.

Its a cracking lens, very sharp and good for portrait work too (if you ever find yourself doing that in the future).

Best of luck.
Broken 4 21 England
3 Aug 2013 9:29AM
Hi balacau!

Thanks for this and strange as I've bought one this week! It's second hand but in great condition and a very good price, although it was a competitive bidding war.

I shall enjoy using it, I'm sure!

Regards
22 Aug 2013 6:42AM

Quote:I'd suggest picking up a used Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens. A new version (with the USD in the name) has recently been introduced and the older one has dropped in price, plus there are lots now up for sale in the used market.

Its a cracking lens, very sharp and good for portrait work too (if you ever find yourself doing that in the future).

Best of luck.

I'll second that! The Tamron 90mm F2.8, even an older model is a terrific bit of glass that gives you razor sharp detail, rich colors and such a beautiful image you'd be wondering what took you so long to get one. Glad to hear you found a good copy at a good price...you won't regret it!
Broken 4 21 England
22 Aug 2013 7:55AM
Thanks. Good old eBay...got the Tamron 90 used lens in great order and a Sigma 50. I've used both since then and I'm very pleased Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.