Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sorry!!!!!!!!!

dcash29 9 2.0k England
27 Jun 2010 10:37PM
Its looking like Fabio Capello is going to be the scapegoat.

Quote:What's the point of bringing a bunch of club-based individuals together and hoping they're going to act as a well oiled machine on the field
Isnt that what all the other teams are made up of?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2010 10:41PM

Quote:maybe they do but it shows how poor our premier league is. You only have to see how often an English team wins in European competitions.

But English teams do well in Europe, not long ago the final was between two English teams. The Premier league is one of the best, if not the best in Europe.

Quote:Its looking like Fabio Capello is going to be the scapegoat.
I think the coaching and management team have a big responsibility as do the players.
dcash29 9 2.0k England
27 Jun 2010 10:51PM

Quote:The basic problem being with the schools and they way the teach the sport.
Arrr right here we go again

Quote:they won't be able to fashion championship sides from the likes of Defoe, Heskey, Upson, James, etc.
In my opinion your choice is rather unfair, i'll take it the etc. refers to most of the others including a striker that shouldnt have played in the last couple of matches.

Quote:I think the coaching and management team have a big responsibility as do the players.
Maybe but i feel everything comes down to natural ability in the end.

If the players had felt so strongly that they could win if they played in different positions used different tactics then they had the second half to prove their worth. Lets face it, what did they have to lose.
27 Jun 2010 10:55PM

Quote:...and too much self-belief.

Strange! They were previously criticised for having little or no belief in themselves.

The England team is not the only team to have gone home losers and the eventually there will be only one team that hasn't lost.

We lost - live with it.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2010 11:37PM

Quote:Maybe but i feel everything comes down to natural ability in the end.

If the players had felt so strongly that they could win if they played in different positions used different tactics then they had the second half to prove their worth. Lets face it, what did they have to lose.

In Viki Pollard mode. yeah but no, but yeah, but no..

Having played and coach, at a low level I hasten to add, I am amazed at how different the game looks at the side to on the pitch. Could they have played better yes of course they could but time after time I have seen well trained average teams beat teams with star players because they can link up well. And that link up involves on and off the ball movement and skills. Often you just cannot see the big picture on the pitch.

I was once given the B team to get ready for a competition and to be honest not a striker in the team and no star players. But what they had was the ability to pass and good personal relationships. Within 4 sessions we had them passing the ball in attack formations such that at least one of them would get in the box and the tactic was to just take the shot as it happened. Also they picked up well on how to fall back in formation plus letting the keeper call the defence. In the first competition they went two rounds further than the A team and they kept to the system. Plus the reaction to a mistake was to get back into position not worry about it.

To me England did not have that team mentality and played as individuals. too many selfish wasted shots not enough team passing. And lets be honest Rooney had a shocking by his standard tournament. Lampard just looked scared. Gerrard had flashed of brilliance, but link up?
27 Jun 2010 11:41PM
Probably the best summing up, Strawman.
Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
27 Jun 2010 11:57PM
'Lampard just looked scared'

Lampard played well I thought today - he was almost the only one to hit the target with each shot at goal. Gerrard was shocking for the most part - and Rooney just looked unfit and uninterested.

Germany were great against Ghana in the last group game and it was obvious to most then (except the media) that unless England could step up a couple of gears they would get well beaten. Even if England had managed to top their group I doubt they would have beaten Ghana on today's form. They showed some good play the last 15 mins of the first half but that was it......for the tournament.

Capello has been incapable of shedding the dead wood inherited from McLaren and I think that is part of the problem. Back to the drawing board I feel.

I'm still for Spain this year.
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
28 Jun 2010 12:12AM
I hope England's poor display won't overshadow the debacle of the disallowed goal. A similar thing happened in tonight's Mexico/Argentina match. The World Cup, and football in general, risks becoming a meaningless farce if things aren't changed soon. Blatter must be disposed of.
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
28 Jun 2010 2:36AM
England at times seem to rely more on kicking players from the opposing side than the ball itself, they are a very boring team to watch when you compare their ball skills with teams like Ghana, sorry but England doesn't deserve to win when they play like that!

Terry.
wrinkles e2
6 351 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2010 9:58AM
I don't think they should be paid.Grin
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
28 Jun 2010 11:17AM

Quote:I don't think they should be paid.Grin

In general or for the games in this world cup? All England players donate their wages for National games to charities
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
28 Jun 2010 12:45PM

Quote:What's the point of bringing a bunch of club-based individuals together and hoping they're going to act as a well oiled machine on the field

Quote:Isnt that what all the other teams are made up of?

Doh! Didn't properly explain what I was getting at. I meant individuals in the sense that they didn't gel as a team, whereas other teams look as though they're well oiled machines (even though they're from different clubs).
28 Jun 2010 1:00PM

Quote:Capello has been incapable of shedding the dead wood inherited from McLaren and I think that is part of the problem. Back to the drawing board I feel.

Perhaps his big problem was in having to prepare a team for this World Cup event?

Perhaps starting to prepare a team for the next World Cup might have been a more viable proposition?

Perhaps he will get his chance for this - perhaps he won't now?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Jun 2010 1:13PM
I understand if the FA sacks Capello they will have to give him a pay-off of up to 12 million - all because they dropped a sacking clause from his contract recently. And this because the FA were terrified he'd be poached if they didn't drop it.

Incompetence at the (managerial) top of the game.... just maybe?
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2010 1:28PM

Quote:The basic problem being with the schools and they way the teach the sport.

I couldn't agree more. When my son played for the school team they managed about 7 matches in a season, at other times the school decided it was too cold(!) or too close to cricket season. Now children aren't even allowed to play competitively until they reach a certain age, because they may get upset if they lose!!

Quote:Perhaps his big problem was in having to prepare a team for this World Cup event?

Perhaps starting to prepare a team for the next World Cup might have been a more viable proposition?

Perhaps he will get his chance for this - perhaps he won't now?

Yep. He needs plenty of time to groom the next generation, instead of having to try to make the most of the current crop who have been tainted by over-hype and too little passion.

To be honest, you watch these players week in week out in the Premiership and they exhibit major amounts of skill and passion. I can understand why they may have failed to gel as a team, but where was the individual skill and effort?

My final rant is why do England teams always refuse to play at the pace of the Premiership? That's what we are best at! For the 5 minutes they actually picked up the tempo yesterday they had the Germans rattled and scored 2 goals (okay so 1 wasn't given). Then they went back to plodding around the pitch like a bunch of geriatrics and the consequences were inevitable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.