Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Spam email - your approach to handling

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 2:55 PM

I'm notice a growth in certain types of spam email lately. How do you manage yours?

If someone doesn't like the mail ePHOTOzine sends out they can click the unsubscribe option and we will take them off the list that they originally asked to be put on.

But the stuff I'm getting has been found on some list somewhere that's circulating in the spammer communities. It's unrequested and unwelcome.

The problem is that much of this is sent on speculation, and if you click the unsubscribe button it's used in the wrong way. The spammer then knows for certain that the email is good and you end up on a new list of "more valuable emails" and the spam grows.

So how do you get off these lists. You want to email them and tell them to "go """"" themselves" but doing so will also put you in the "this person really exists" category.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Nov 2012 - 2:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 2:58 PM

I think some you can report to the Information Commissioners Office Pete, you fill in an online form and they can stop them. I was getting spam texts completely unrelated to me from a debt company, one a day for over 2 months. I filled in the form and they stopped the next day. Apparently they can now prosecute quite heavily and I think the same applies to email spam.

Andy_Cundell
9 Nov 2012 - 3:06 PM

Try and stop them before they hit your client. I use Virgin e-mail and set the spam filters on there to certain words so they are deleted before I download my mail via outlook.

Andy

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 3:24 PM

Generally I just ignore them, mark them as junk without even looking at the content.... I can usually tell just by the title & sender's name.

I believe these "junk" tags get seen by my e-mail system which then prevents them subsequently getting through.

I did have several a while ago all with the same e-mail " @xxx.com "

So I contacted the Company via their website.

Apparently those sending me the e-mails were undesirables and had no relationship with the Company, who thanked me for reporting it together with an apology assuring me it would be dealt with.

It was. Smile

Last Modified By JJGEE at 9 Nov 2012 - 3:25 PM
Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 3:34 PM

On the subject of spam, I seem to be getting regular spam comments on my foliopic website, despite having 'image verification' set. Any further ideas how to stop it?
Steve

ikett
ikett  3328 forum posts England
9 Nov 2012 - 3:39 PM

I've had a couple of known contacts mails trapped by spam filter, turned out their accounts had been hacked and were being used to distribute malware.

One was with BT who took it very seriously and actully traced the hacker, the other was with Sky who just said "change your password".

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315546 forum posts England
9 Nov 2012 - 3:50 PM

My ISP filters most of it. Every company I sign up to, I give them a unique email address on one of my domains, and if they start spamming and getting through the filter, I kill that address.

franken
franken e2 Member 113027 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 5:38 PM

I've used mailwasher free for a long time now and it does a good job. You can blacklist email addresses etc.

here it is:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

collywobles
9 Nov 2012 - 5:59 PM

Quote: I'm notice a growth in certain types of spam email lately. How do you manage yours?

I dont respond to any emails that have massive circulation email addresses in them even if its from my best friend. I limit my contacts list and anyone I am not in recent communication with I remove from my contacts list. I delete any email that contains those stupid "pass this on" if you like a dog, cat, soldier etc etc. I dont click on links in emails whoever it is from.

Its difficult to avoid all SPAM but using my rules I do not receive many spam emails.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314809 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 6:07 PM

99% of the spam I get is filtered and ends up in the spam folder.

But its increased ten fold just recently, its mostly crap about claiming back ppi or injury compensation.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 6:11 PM

Maybe with the ICO not prosecuting, or not prosecuting a great deal, has meant that these spammers can get away with alot more. I've certainly noticed alot more at work, and alot more phone spam/marketing calls too.

Big Bri
9 Nov 2012 - 7:04 PM

I'm thinking I might have my spam filter set too high, so I've missed that vital email from the National Lottery....

thewilliam
9 Nov 2012 - 9:27 PM

Recently, a lot of good email has been steered into the spam box.

puertouk
puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 11:59 AM

Iīve started to get it on my new website, itīs e-mail sender is change, but coming from g-mail. Asking me to go and get Diablo 3 gold. Dipsticks!

Big Bri
10 Nov 2012 - 1:32 PM

If it's from the contact form on your website, rather than a published email address, you should add a Captcha onto it, to stop bots from posting with it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.