Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

specks on viewfinder

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    colingarrard
    1 Jun 2011 - 2:14 PM

Hello, I'm new, so here goes.
    Nearly a year ago, I obtained a Minolta Dynax 5 (35mm SLR), and am so in love with it that I'm selling my digital SLR and lens collection.
    Recently, I noticed some particles within the viewfinder, even with no lens attached. I've carefully blown air into the lens mount and tried gently brushing, but the particles are still there.
    Is this going to be a major problem and is there any way of fixing it? It is always a problems with digital SLR's, so I'm a little bit worried: I live in Oxford and the choice of camera dealers is very limited.

Thanks for any help,
    Colin.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jun 2011 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2011 - 2:25 PM

Particles of dirt on the focusing screen are no real problem - they will not appear on the film image - only dust on the film itself can cause that.

Not like the dust bunny problem on DSLRs where dust is on the sensor thus blocking very small specks of light to the sensor, and therefor affecting the image to a more, or less, extent depending on camera settings.

Take care if attempting to clean the focusing screen as they can be easily damaged, particularly the plastic variety .

Last Modified By Just Jas at 1 Jun 2011 - 2:27 PM
    Greyheron
    Greyheron e2 Member 12277 forum postsGreyheron vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2011 - 2:29 PM

It sounds like there are dust particles on the focusing screen - other than being annoying it shouldn't affect the quality of the images taken at all. In some cameras these screens can be changed - if this is the case with your Minolta the screen can be removed for cleaning purposes. I'm sure a reputable camera dealer will be able to sort this out for you.

Mike

Beaten to it Smile

Last Modified By Greyheron at 1 Jun 2011 - 2:29 PM
    thewilliam
    1 Jun 2011 - 2:52 PM

You can buy a miniature vacuum cleaner quite cheaply - ours came from Maplin and runs off 4xAA cells. Other cleaning methods just move the dust from one part of the camera to another.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 1 Jun 2011 - 2:52 PM
    User_Removed
    1 Jun 2011 - 4:02 PM

Dust is not a problem with a film SLR unless it is on the lens. Bear in mind that every exposure uses a brand new "sensor" and, when the exposure is made, there is nothing between the lens and the film.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 1 Jun 2011 - 4:03 PM
    franken
    franken e2 Member 113103 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2011 - 4:21 PM

If the dust spots are on the inside of the focusing screen no amount of cleaning will remove them other than having it serviced or the fucusing screen on the camera is the removable type.

As mentioned above, it has no effect on the photographs.

Ken

colingarrard
    2 Jun 2011 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
    Is there anywhere in or around Oxford/Oxfordshire where I could get this camera serviced and maintained every few years or so?

Colin.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.