Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

specks on viewfinder

1 Jun 2011 2:14PM
Hello, I'm new, so here goes.
Nearly a year ago, I obtained a Minolta Dynax 5 (35mm SLR), and am so in love with it that I'm selling my digital SLR and lens collection.
Recently, I noticed some particles within the viewfinder, even with no lens attached. I've carefully blown air into the lens mount and tried gently brushing, but the particles are still there.
Is this going to be a major problem and is there any way of fixing it? It is always a problems with digital SLR's, so I'm a little bit worried: I live in Oxford and the choice of camera dealers is very limited.

Thanks for any help,
Colin.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Particles of dirt on the focusing screen are no real problem - they will not appear on the film image - only dust on the film itself can cause that.

Not like the dust bunny problem on DSLRs where dust is on the sensor thus blocking very small specks of light to the sensor, and therefor affecting the image to a more, or less, extent depending on camera settings.

Take care if attempting to clean the focusing screen as they can be easily damaged, particularly the plastic variety .
Greyheron e2
12 277 5 England
1 Jun 2011 2:29PM
It sounds like there are dust particles on the focusing screen - other than being annoying it shouldn't affect the quality of the images taken at all. In some cameras these screens can be changed - if this is the case with your Minolta the screen can be removed for cleaning purposes. I'm sure a reputable camera dealer will be able to sort this out for you.

Mike

Beaten to it Smile
thewilliam 6 4.8k
1 Jun 2011 2:52PM
You can buy a miniature vacuum cleaner quite cheaply - ours came from Maplin and runs off 4xAA cells. Other cleaning methods just move the dust from one part of the camera to another.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Jun 2011 4:02PM
Dust is not a problem with a film SLR unless it is on the lens. Bear in mind that every exposure uses a brand new "sensor" and, when the exposure is made, there is nothing between the lens and the film.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
1 Jun 2011 4:21PM
If the dust spots are on the inside of the focusing screen no amount of cleaning will remove them other than having it serviced or the fucusing screen on the camera is the removable type.

As mentioned above, it has no effect on the photographs.

Ken
2 Jun 2011 10:05AM
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
Is there anywhere in or around Oxford/Oxfordshire where I could get this camera serviced and maintained every few years or so?

Colin.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.