Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Specs for running Windows 7

AlanTW 12 347
28 Feb 2011 2:33PM
I need to re-install XP on my Dell #dimension 9200 which has a Intel Duo 2.4GHz processor and 4Gb RAM. It crossed my mind that I could take the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7, can anybody tell me if my PC has sufficient cojones to run it as a reasonably pleasurable experience?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
28 Feb 2011 2:52PM
If you do a search on the internet for Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser, it'll tell you exactly whether your computer and it's components are ok for Windows 7. Your processor and memory are certainly fine. I have the same and recently upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit and it works superbly.
One thing that you'll need to watch out for is if there are suitable 64 bit drivers for any hardware you use. The Upgrade Adviser tool will let you know as long as they're plugged in to the computer when you run the test.
AlanTW 12 347
28 Feb 2011 3:05PM
Thanks Justin. I'll certainly run the Adviser but I value the opinions of people who have actually done it for real, so thanks again

regards
Alan
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2011 4:30PM
As Justin says, the main thing you have to worry about is hardware support. As far as the processor speed, memory and disk space go, you will find that Win 7 actually runs better on lower spec machines than XP or Vista. All my PCs are running Windows 7, three of them are single core processors with 4Gb or less and they run perfectly fine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.