Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Specs for running Windows 7

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AlanTW
    AlanTW  11342 forum posts
    28 Feb 2011 - 2:33 PM

I need to re-install XP on my Dell #dimension 9200 which has a Intel Duo 2.4GHz processor and 4Gb RAM. It crossed my mind that I could take the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7, can anybody tell me if my PC has sufficient cojones to run it as a reasonably pleasurable experience?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Feb 2011 - 2:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2011 - 2:52 PM

If you do a search on the internet for Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser, it'll tell you exactly whether your computer and it's components are ok for Windows 7. Your processor and memory are certainly fine. I have the same and recently upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit and it works superbly.
    One thing that you'll need to watch out for is if there are suitable 64 bit drivers for any hardware you use. The Upgrade Adviser tool will let you know as long as they're plugged in to the computer when you run the test.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    AlanTW
    AlanTW  11342 forum posts
    28 Feb 2011 - 3:05 PM

Thanks Justin. I'll certainly run the Adviser but I value the opinions of people who have actually done it for real, so thanks again

regards
    Alan

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
    28 Feb 2011 - 4:30 PM

As Justin says, the main thing you have to worry about is hardware support. As far as the processor speed, memory and disk space go, you will find that Win 7 actually runs better on lower spec machines than XP or Vista. All my PCs are running Windows 7, three of them are single core processors with 4Gb or less and they run perfectly fine.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.