Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Speed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 9:40 AM

Quote: Seems we all suffer a similar problem..again this morning it took about 5-6 secs to load

When you guys say that the site is slow loading. Do you mean to complete the loading of the page or for it's initial respond (refresh) before you see anything?

What we find quite interesting as on average we get between 1.5mb-3mb in the office and the pages tend to complete loading within 3 seconds with initial page responding within 1 second. So, within 1 second the page starts displaying and normally the information I want is shown, and no more than 3 seconds when the page is completely loaded.

Initial respond...and although I said above that `once i' it seemed ok, this morning i have uploaded a couple of shots to the gallery and groups and the uploads toook about 15-20 secs to find the webpage (i.e. initial page respond). It was like this yesterday too.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2011 - 9:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72301 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
4 Apr 2011 - 9:44 AM

Quote: i have uploaded a couple of shots to the gallery and groups and the uploads toook about 15-20 secs

How large are the files you are uploading in file size?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 10:24 AM

Quote: for it's initial respond (refresh) before you see anything?

yes - that's what I'm seeing. The refresh rate is fast though once its made the link

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 10:31 AM

Quote: i have uploaded a couple of shots to the gallery and groups and the uploads toook about 15-20 secs

How large are the files you are uploading in file size?

325kb

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72301 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
4 Apr 2011 - 10:34 AM

Quote: 325kb

Needless to say, that's not the problem. In your particular case, we believe it has to do with the upload notifications that people receive when you upload. We have an upgrade to be down in the very near future to speed this up. It will also possibly speed up the posting of comments in any area of the site.

ringyneck
ringyneck  7293 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 10:38 AM

Just spotted this thread BUT mentioned the same problem in the P.O.T.W. thread ...suggesting that there's TOO MUCH stuff going on that lots of people find irritating ...........

AND IT IS NOT OUR SPEEDS THAT IS THE CAUSE AS THIS IS THE ONLY SITE IT HAPPENS ON....and when you consider it's the only site I PAY to use makes it even worse.
The responses from "UP- TOP" seem very fine asking this that or the other but it makes you sound like you either don't know what's happening or don't care.......after all it has been an issue for SO LONG.
Keith

davidburleson
4 Apr 2011 - 10:43 AM

Quote: The responses from "UP- TOP" seem very fine asking this that or the other but it makes you sound like you either don't know what's happening or don't care.......after all it has been an issue for SO LONG.

You are correct in a way. We don't know what's going on in every particular instance. But we do care, otherwise I wouldn't bother at all to respond. This is why we have to ask questions. It's called troubleshooting. Nearly every case where someone has mentioned a problem with speed has been resolved in a new way. Sometimes its something on ePHOTOzine, sometimes its something on the member's computer. We can't properly locate and resolve these issues without gathering more information from those who are having the problem. 'The site is slow' just doesn't give us enough information. The most frustrating part of our jobs is when someone tells us the site is slow, then can't provide us more information about the problem when we ask them questions about the problem.

What I find particularly interesting is that you mention here that you have speed issues, yet we have no recent reports from you mentioning this problem. How are we to fix your particular problem if we don't know you are having one?

Last Modified By davidburleson at 4 Apr 2011 - 10:46 AM
cats_123
4 Apr 2011 - 11:15 AM

Quote: 325kb

Needless to say, that's not the problem. In your particular case, we believe it has to do with the upload notifications that people receive when you upload. We have an upgrade to be down in the very near future to speed this up. It will also possibly speed up the posting of comments in any area of the site.

Dave

I know it can be very frustrating trying to sort these things out..(my experiences with virginmedia make your problems pale in comparison)....

just wanted to say thanks for your interest and efforts..it's good to know someone is listening Smile

ringyneck
4 Apr 2011 - 11:33 AM

Quote: The responses from "UP- TOP" seem very fine asking this that or the other but it makes you sound like you either don't know what's happening or don't care.......after all it has been an issue for SO LONG.

You are correct in a way. We don't know what's going on in every particular instance. But we do care, otherwise I wouldn't bother at all to respond. This is why we have to ask questions. It's called troubleshooting. Nearly every case where someone has mentioned a problem with speed has been resolved in a new way. Sometimes its something on ePHOTOzine, sometimes its something on the member's computer. We can't properly locate and resolve these issues without gathering more information from those who are having the problem. 'The site is slow' just doesn't give us enough information. The most frustrating part of our jobs is when someone tells us the site is slow, then can't provide us more information about the problem when we ask them questions about the problem.

What I find particularly interesting is that you mention here that you have speed issues, yet we have no recent reports from you mentioning this problem. How are we to fix your particular problem if we don't know you are having one?

Fair points...but please don't ask me to check this that or the other as I know nowt about 'owt ...all I do is turn on fiddle with a mouse and hopefully get what I am after...all the technical gubbins just tie me up in knots.......sorry I have not complained enough...not a thing I have been known for in the past ...lol

"I know it can be very frustrating trying to sort these things out..(my experiences with virginmedia make your problems pale in comparison)...."

guess what...I have Virgin Media........

AND also...THE SPEED HAS GONE INTO MEGA MODE SINCE I PUT MY INITIAL MOAN ON HERE...WORKS THEN !!!

Keith

ringyneck
4 Apr 2011 - 12:19 PM

Quote: It is only epz, in fact it's quicker sometimes to go into epz through the link with facebook than go in direct

Jeez! That's either superstition or your imagination. Your computer still downloads the same code which your browser runs.

I think half the time this is a case of inexperienced users who don't know what toolbars and browser add-ons they've got or how to disable them and those add-ons slow down sites like these.

Correct........ but why don't they slow ALL the sites down.
Keith

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 12:53 PM

it is odd to me that I when I see the slow log on with EPZ, all my other sites remain at normal speed. The log on speed to EPZ is also quite variable, some days there is no problem, others it stalls completely?

Last Modified By brian1208 at 4 Apr 2011 - 12:54 PM
MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 1:19 PM

With me it's before I see anything, currently back to between 20 and 30 secs. and I get the message 'Waiting for Ephotozene to respond'.
Once into the site, reponse times vary but there has always been a problem with 'My Favourites' since the day I joined. When viewing my favourites it has always been slow to download the gallery page, then also to download individual shots. I download the shot vote/comment press the submit button and wait for the page to refresh. Once it's refreshed I press the 'back' on my browser twice to get back to the 'My Favourites' gallery page. Once this is back I download the next shot. Sometimes the page just doesn't refresh, so I press the 'back' button regardless and carry on.
As I view more shots the process gets slower and slower. This can be speeded up slightly by refreshing the favourites page but it doesn't last long before I have to do it again. This problem has been the same when I have logged on to epz. from other locations although the degree can be more or less.
When viewing the main gallery the new facility of having the shots scrolling under the downloaded picture has helped as it avoids the process above being used to look at shots. It's a pity we don't have that facility with 'My Favourites', maybe I ough to suggest it? However, even in here the registering of a vote can take a number of seconds or just does not happen at all. When a vote hasn't visibly been recognised I have at times checked back and my vote uaually has been registered.
All very frustrating, especially as the faults have really been more or less the same over the years years varying by degree of severity.

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 1:29 PM

Quote: It is only epz, in fact it's quicker sometimes to go into epz through the link with facebook than go in direct

Jeez! That's either superstition or your imagination. Your computer still downloads the same code which your browser runs

I can assure you it's neither. If I go into facebook and click on the link to a photo in my pf it's almost immediate so the whole time is faster than just clicking on the bookmark for my PF either in my bookmarks or on the Firefox Toolbar. I have timed it. I don't have any other toolbars other than Firefox all others are either deleted or disabled. I do have the ads blocked in epz however to try and speed things up.

Going in to epz using IE, latest version, is just as slow if not worse, which was why I changed to Firefox in the first place.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 4 Apr 2011 - 1:30 PM
MalcolmS
4 Apr 2011 - 1:34 PM

Quote: The most frustrating part of our jobs is when someone tells us the site is slow, then can't provide us more information about the problem when we ask them questions about the problem.

Believe me, this is even more frustrating for us as users. Unfortunately my degree is in Civil and Structural Engineering, not IT and computers worked on punched cards when I was at university (and we lived in a paper bag in the middle of the road).

RogBrown
RogBrown  72996 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 1:35 PM

Quote: (and we lived in a paper bag in the middle of the road)

Luxury! Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.