Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Speed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown

I've just waited for ten seconds to get here from the previous page and it only worked then when I used Ctrl/F5.
It's been erratic all weekend.
And no, it's nothing to do with my toolbars, add-ons, lack of knowledge or my imagination. This is the only site where these problems occur and they've occurred on this and my previous machine. In fact, it's been like it since I came here 2½ years ago.
Incidentally, this machine was formatted and the OS re-installed only a couple of months ago so it's not being caused by several year's worth of rubbish either.
Every time a thread kicks of on this subject, I take part and all the same things get trotted out but as I've said before and I'm sure I'll say it again, if we're all having similar problems is it because we're all making the same mistake?
I don't think so.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2011 - 2:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 2:48 PM

The problem is we are not all having the same problems, that is what makes it difficult to track down. As an example, our web access at work is notoriously slow, but ePz pops up as fast as Google.

Out of interest, the next time a link is slow responding, click it again and see if it opens more quickly. I sometimes find this on certain sites, no idea why though the concept of interrupts used to be very important back in the pre-IT days of computing.

Ian

Jestertheclown

Quote: The problem is we are not all having the same problems, that is what makes it difficult to track down. As an example, our web access at work is notoriously slow, but ePz pops up as fast as Google.

We're all having similar problems Ian and I'm not sure how the speed of web access would make a difference. Wouldn't that affect all sites? And why does Epz. work sometimes and not others?

digicammad
4 Apr 2011 - 3:13 PM

I was just making the point that on my work machine, which has slow access in the first place, ePz is one of the quickest.

To be honest there are so many variables I'm not surprised it is a nightmare tracking it down. Even 2 identical machines, sat side by side on the same network, could end up taking different routes to a common destination (extreme example).

When ePz is 'working' for you it could be that your traffic is being routed differently and missing out a chunk of heavily contested network. I am on Plusnet at home and, apart from 1 occasion, have never had speed issues when others have been reporting it. That is why I tend to think it is network related rather than site specific. Even when the rest of the web is working for you and ePz isn't, the chances are it is because your route to the ePz servers is slower than mine. There are sites I always find slow, which you may find fairly whizz along for you.

digicammad
4 Apr 2011 - 3:15 PM

By the way

Quote: We're all having similar problems Ian

How many people does 'all' represent? Is it a large proportion of the visitors?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 3:23 PM

Quote: I was just making the point that on my work machine, which has slow access in the first place, ePz is one of the quickest

Ian, do you work from home, can you test each pc side by side and at the same time ?

I`m not suggesting we are all having the same problems, but EPZ can be very slow to get into, I generally find that once in, it fly`s.

At one point yesterday it was so slow to get into I thought it was going to time out, other sites load quickly, and there`s no speed issues my end.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72301 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
4 Apr 2011 - 3:25 PM

Quote: At one point yesterday it was so slow to get into I thought it was going to time out, other sites load quickly, and there`s no speed issues my end.

At what time roughly did this occur? We didn't have any reports about any issues so it must have only lasted for a short amount of time in which only a few members picked up on it.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 4 Apr 2011 - 3:25 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 3:26 PM

I have no idea David, was in the afternoon sometime.

digicammad
4 Apr 2011 - 3:35 PM

Unfortunately not Paul. My home machine has an ADSL line all to itself but my work machine shares the connection with about 100 others.

If it is slow to get into and then flies it is almost as if there is some sort of routing loop, which eventually gets resolved. Have you ever tried doing a trace route when you are having speed issues?

Paul Morgan
4 Apr 2011 - 3:38 PM

I`m not having speed issues, there`s just the odd glitch with the site, I guess my connection is better than a lot of people on here.

Jestertheclown

Quote: How many people does 'all' represent? Is it a large proportion of the visitors?

"All! as in "all" of those who've mentioned it in this and other threads.

digicammad
4 Apr 2011 - 4:28 PM

I was hoping you may have an idea of the number. Tongue

I know there have been lots of threads about this, but is it always the same x people? Are the total number of people having problems a significant percentage of those using the site? By significant I don't mean the majority, but if it is less than 2% then it's probably fair to say it is not something in the direct control of the site and possibly not even something it could influence.

Alan_Coles
4 Apr 2011 - 4:37 PM

My guess is there a lot of people who get the speed issues but never venture onto the forums to see if there are any issues. Might be an idea to pm everyone a message asking they report any slowness on the site noting time and exactly what they were doing?

digicammad
4 Apr 2011 - 4:39 PM

Possibly, think that might have been done before actually.

Paul Morgan
4 Apr 2011 - 4:42 PM

Quote: I know there have been lots of threads about this, but is it always the same x people

Agree Ian, on page 1 I suggested doing a few checks yourself first, as part of the problem could be down to you, your pc, router or exchange.

In my case my connection was about 50% slower than it was a few months ago, but still pretty quick compared to many others on here.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.