Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Speedlite 580EX

johnmac 4 91
31 Jan 2012 8:53PM
Hi all, using the 580EX on a canon EOS-1D MkII. After using the flash in E-TTL mode and camera in Aperture on the playback the LCD shows the the image is showing +3 exposure and looks over exposed even though the speedlite is set on +0. I find the image looks better if I compensate by setting the exposure on the flash -3. any idea how I can leave setting on +0 and the image have good exposure. Hope this makes sense

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
31 Jan 2012 9:46PM
A wild guess would be that the camera is set to +3 ( overexpose ) therefore it will over ride the setting on the Speedlight in terms of exposure compensation.....!

Or maybe you have altered another custom function, Without realising it.

Might be a good idea to set the camera to " Factory Defaults " then start again.....! Same goes for the speedlight.....!

From what I have checked on, You seem to be having these exposure issues, Irrespective of the camera brand in use, That would tend to indicate " User Error " ......!!

Camera manuals are a tad boring, But before you do anything with a camera, Its a good idea to have a sound knowledge of the basics, Plus the controls etc on your particular camera.

Lest you will always be in a muddle.....Wink
f8 11 9.2k 22 England
1 Feb 2012 12:26AM
Yes I have the same gear as you and what cameracat says is most likely the cause of your problem.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.