Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Spelling

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
11 Sep 2009 - 9:49 AM

'Aperature' is the one that has me foaming at the mouth. Or 'apature'.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Sep 2009 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 9:52 AM

The great thing about the English language is that it has a lot of redundancy - or simply put, you can deviate quite a lot from the 'defined' spelling, and still be perfectly understood (as Chris' poem shows).

Also, it is fantastic that the whole world speaks English as their first language. Wink

Last Modified By mattw at 11 Sep 2009 - 10:11 AM
keith selmes
11 Sep 2009 - 10:05 AM

Quote: Why does it have to have a special name?

Poor spelling can result from poor education, using a foreign language, poor typing skills, haste, laziness, etc. etc.

Dyslexia can be a medical problem resulting from injuries affecting the brain (acquired dyslexia) and there's not much the individual can do about it.

Generally dyslexia seems to cover a range of problems, but so far as I am aware they would basically physical problems, as distinct from cultural or educational, about which the individual can do very little.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 10:06 AM

Quote: The great thing about the English language is that it has a lot of redundancy - or simply put, you can deviate quite a lot from the 'defined' spelling, and still be perfectly understood

That's basically just the way our brains work, this is true in many other languages as well, especially the ones that have words consisting of more then one character - it's only a bit more difficult in languages like Chinese.

Quote: it is fantastic that the whole world speaks English as their first language

Gee, it's like we're back in the days of King George again, with the British thinking that the whole world is their empire. Don't get me wrong, I love the English language - even more than my mother tongue - but let's not exaggerate. Not the whole world speaks English, and definitely not "as their first language".

But if I'm not so strict in the interpretation of your words, I do know what you mean. You can find people who speak English in many countries. Very handy.

It's just that what you said, reminded me of a quote from an English author, who wrote: "The whole world speaks English. What else would it speak?"

Very funny quote, and I love it - but of course, strictly speaking there's something inherently wrong with it: it isn't true.

Love the sentiment behind it, though. Typically British attitude. A bit like the quotes attributed to Rolls Royce mechanics that "a Rolls Royce doesn't break down, period." Smile Matter of principle, I suppose.

Last Modified By conrad at 11 Sep 2009 - 10:09 AM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 10:10 AM

Quote: Not the whole world speaks English, and definitely not "as their first language".

That was sarcasm Conrad Wink
(I better go back and put a wink in to indicate)

Last Modified By mattw at 11 Sep 2009 - 10:11 AM
MikeA
MikeA  91173 forum posts England
11 Sep 2009 - 10:14 AM

The one that always makes me smile is when photographers on
Quote: websites call themselves armatures

or a taker of electrifying images Wink

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 10:14 AM

Quote: What is the difference between someone who has dyslexia and someone who can't read/write/spell?
Why does it have to have a special name?

Dyslexia is a learning disorder.

It is different to someone who can't read or write but may be taught to do so.

Sometimes it's a fine line - my wife works with some pupils deemed to be dyslexic - not an easy task.

It's easy to confuse a genuine learning disorder with a poor education.

keith selmes
11 Sep 2009 - 10:15 AM

Quote: In days gone by people would spell in the same way that they spoke

Thats one of the spelling problems on the internet - sometimes people spell as they speak in their regional dialect, and it either makes no sense or means something quite different from their intention. All good fun if we're messing around, but its totally confusing when it comes in the middle of a serious discussion.

I don't like to get too hung up on internet spelling, as we often want to type quickly and if we carefully checked every detail it'd get slow and boring, so long as I can see what people meant I'm not too fussed, but there are a few howlers, (like lense and amature) which keep turning up, where you might think that a photographer would get it right.

conrad
11 Sep 2009 - 10:22 AM

Quote: (I better go back and put a wink in to indicate)

Ah, the super powers of a moderator. Smile

Yes, the wink does help.

It just seemed so familiar, what you said. Wink

Quote: It's easy to confuse a genuine learning disorder with a poor education.

Or the other way around...

Last Modified By conrad at 11 Sep 2009 - 10:23 AM
DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 10:31 AM

Americans speak the same language as the British but they spell differently. Who is correct?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 10:31 AM

Quote: Americans speak the same language as the British but they spell differently. Who is correct?

The British.

conrad
11 Sep 2009 - 10:35 AM

Quote: Americans speak the same language as the British but they spell differently. Who is correct?

Quote from one of my favourite musical songs ("Why Can't The English", from My Fair Lady):

"There are even places where English completely disappears.
In America they haven't used it for years!"

Wink

Edit:
A Dutch comedian did a show in English once, and commented on the use of English as a language, highlighting differences between the British and the Americans. He said: "The Americans and the English will never meet. The Americans will stay on the sidewalk, and the British on the pavement."

Last Modified By conrad at 11 Sep 2009 - 10:38 AM
User_Removed
11 Sep 2009 - 11:06 AM

We invented the language so we must be right! Wink

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 11:14 AM

The British.

US spellings can be blamed on Noah Webster (he of Webster's Dictionary fame) who decided that English spellings needed simplifying.

The Americans have played fast and loose with the English language ever since. Wink

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2009 - 11:37 AM

My spooling is'nt teh problam, i just cant tipe Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.