Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Spirit of Zeb lives on

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pennyspike
    pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 12:37 PM

Down in Deepest Dorset there is another way of travelling to meetsSmile

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 5 Jun 2009 - 12:37 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jun 2009 - 12:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 12:43 PM

Just pray that nobody hoots their horn as you go by - else you might end up going faster than you think Wink

Interesting though - zebras are supposed to be almost untrainable and apparently more people are killed in zoos by zebras than by the bigcats!

keith selmes
    5 Jun 2009 - 1:09 PM

I've been puzzled by the reputation the zebra has as difficult to break in, as Captain Hayes wrote, in Points of the Horse, the "Burchell zebra is comparatively easy to break in, and as it will breed in confinement, there is but little doubt that it will in time become domesticated"
    Hayes actually spent some time in South Africa, and did work with a zebra, but it isn't clear how much real experience he had.

Perhaps its the dodgy personality problems they have ? or they just haven't been bred long enough to work out the problems and develop a useful type.

Anyway, that was in 1892. In 1893 Carl Benz built his first four wheel motor car, or zebra-less carriage as you might call it. Might be relevant.

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 1:35 PM

Ahhh, every home should have one...

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 2:31 PM

I suppose its the simple fact that without a long selective breeding program zebras still retain too much independance and too much skittishness (run away is a perfectly valid tactic to escape lions when you have 4 legs!).
    Thus they are just not that amenable to training - I am sure that a selective breeding program could make them tame - though it would take a long time to get stable bloodlines - just as it is with most mammal species.
    I suppose with an already extensive horse breeds market - with many often coming under threat due ot shifts in popularity and working use - that there is just no gap for them outside of the odd hollywood movie (and they prefer the cheaper painting option Wink)

User_Removed
    5 Jun 2009 - 5:53 PM

Warning! I slow down for Horses - but not Zebras.

Just needs a car sticker entrepreneur in Dorset to start chucking these about now!

Wink

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96307 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 5:57 PM

I thought "Zeb" was the epz meets mascot that got sent on from one to the next for the meet "Team" photo.

pennyspike
    pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 8:45 PM

Not been seen for a while, I believe he might have been lost at sea Sad ......unless anyone knows different of course.Wink

Kris_Dutson
    5 Jun 2009 - 9:00 PM

I think it laid down outside the pub for a kip and someone from the highways dept stuck some belisha beacons in it.....

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.