Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

split image problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    drawmaster
    16 Jul 2012 - 2:41 PM

Could someone please explain what is causing this split on some of my pictures.
    I have noticed this on several occasions now and would be interested to know if it is
    a fault with the camera or the card or something else, thank you.img-0936.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2012 - 2:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bluke
    Bluke e2 Member 9299 forum postsBluke vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 3:05 PM

I too would like to know as i have never seen this before.....

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 3:12 PM

Does it do the same whatever file format you use? What about if you view the image using different programs? Looks like a software problem to me.

Nick

Nick_Hilton
    16 Jul 2012 - 3:24 PM

I would suggest its either a shutter curtain issue or currupt file

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 3:30 PM

I think it may be a card problem

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9667 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 3:47 PM

I would say a card problem also. This can cause the file to appear corrupt. Can you try another card to try and eliminate a camera fault? If it is a card problem then it will only get worse.

You should be able to rectify the photos in photoshop by selecting either the top or bottom and copy&paste to a new layer. Then shift the selection along until it matches.

drawmaster
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried a different card and still had the problem
    so I just delete them, it happens in about 1 in 100 shots.
    Thanks for photoshop suggestion Eddie, but I only have the software that came with
    the camera ( canon ) and I've not experimented with that yet.
    If it does'nt get any worse I can put up with the loss of a few frames, but I was just curious
    if anybody else had a similar problem.
    Cheers everyone.

Steve

darrensmithgbr
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:30 PM

it looks like a jpeg error, try formatting your memory card and seeing if that clears it up, if not I am stumped!

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  2725 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:36 PM

I note that the lower part of the image is wrapped around. That is to say that the bit on the right edge should be on the left edge. This eliminates any mechanical shutter problem as being the cause. Similarly, if the storing format is jpeg, then the card cannot be the problem: there is no way that a jpeg file could be corrupted in such a way as to give a defect of such a regular appearance.
    My money would be on either a sensor readout problem or a camera image processor issue.

If the storing format is RAW, then it might be the card. If the manufacturer uses lossless compression, though, I'd say it's less likely.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:46 PM

I had something like this with an old Olympus digi compact, years ago. Sometimes the bottom of the frame just wasn't there, sometimes it was shifted like this. About 1/3 of the frame was affected but the camera only output in jpg format.
    Reformatting the card helped, but the problem didn't go altogether until I reinstalled the firmware.

Guaranteed that the 1 in 100 is the best shot you took all day!

Nick

drawmaster
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:55 PM

The camera is a Canon 500d, it was taken as a jpeg, the card is a SanDisk SDHC 4GB
    This was one frame in a sequence of a quikfire burst of four, the other three came out
    without this split effect.
    signing off now, will check back later.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111880 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2012 - 6:19 PM

Delayed write error on the memory card I bet.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.