Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Spolling. Is it just me?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

vaughar
vaughar  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Aug 2005 - 5:00 AM

I can't believe how many incorrect spellings appear in photo titles and descriptions. I'm guilty of the occasional typo, but I notice pretty quickly and edit the title/text.

Puts me off clicking on a photo.. am I alone?

I wonder if there is a spell checker on the to-do list Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Aug 2005 - 5:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2005 - 5:03 AM

There's no spell checker on the list, just download iespell... it's great!

Cowbags
Cowbags  10436 forum posts England
9 Aug 2005 - 5:14 AM

I do partly agree with you. Spelling mistakes can be annoying when trying to read something and like you, I read through my work to check spellings etc before I post. I would guess that the majority of spelling mistakes on this website are due to typos but I do think that you shouldn't generalise. My friend used to post on this website and he was severely dyslexic (not sure if I've spelt that right!!). He used to make a lot of spelling mistakes but it wasn't his fault and even reading through his own work before posting would have been no help. One of the main errors I remember him making was calling Brighton Pier, Brighton Pear! Don't let it put you off clicking on a photo. After all, it is the photographs that we are admiring and not the persons ability to spell!!

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Aug 2005 - 5:14 AM

Nah! It's just you spelling, spelling as spolling!

People are just in so much of a rush to upload their images whilst their friends are still online...... ;P

User_Removed
9 Aug 2005 - 5:22 AM

I tend to notice spelling mistakes - it's my training - and although I now work with children with special needs (including dyslexics) it still jars. Apostrophes and misused homonyms also stand out. But - not everyone is good at spelling and since it is a photography site it would seem churlish to point it out. It certainly doesn't put me off clicking on a photo.

I'm more put off by the sort of titles that make me cringe -there have been other threads on this issue. I wouldn't want someone to feel reluctant to post pictures, make comments or contribute to threads because they weren't sure about spelling.

Brett

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2005 - 5:22 AM

Claire (cowbags) is right, of course. But it can be confusing, sometimes. When I read "Here, here!" on the forum, for instance, my first reaction is "Where, where?", but of course they mean "Hear, hear!". Oh well, no one is perfect in everything, and we're all good at different things.

Conrad

P.S. And IEspell won't solve that, since "here" is perfectly spelled - it's just the wrong word...

redsnappa
redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Aug 2005 - 5:24 AM

You obviously worry too much, the spelling does not bother me at all. I concentrate more on the photos than the spelling.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2005 - 5:25 AM

In other situations I hate bad spelling or grammar. If there are typos in a book I am reading it distracts me from the story.

However we belong to this site because we enjoy photography, not English Language, so I ignore spelling mistakes, typos and just plain bad English.

Ian

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2005 - 5:26 AM

Conrad - that's just because you have a bit of a 'thing' about languages! Smile

jas

conrad
9 Aug 2005 - 5:27 AM

Professional deformation, I know - I think many people have one, mine just happens to be languages. Smile

Conrad

Just Jas
9 Aug 2005 - 5:30 AM

My English grammar is buried alongside my English grandpa!

(Not strictly true, must confess. She was Irish and he was, I believe, of Scotch descent).

jas

vaughar
vaughar  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Aug 2005 - 5:33 AM

You can't help but generalise when you don't know the folks posting the pictures, but it still bugs me that people take such care in the pictures they post only to go and spoil it by something which on the whole is avoidable.

Just Jas
9 Aug 2005 - 5:33 AM

Mine is now "write first time"! Smile (QA joke)

ChunkyButFunky
9 Aug 2005 - 5:34 AM

have to say that random apostrophe's drive me nut's !!

Lisa

conrad
9 Aug 2005 - 5:34 AM

Quote: of Scotch descent

And you are the spirit(ed) grandchild? ;-D

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.