Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sports and children

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

GCF
GCF  5
20 Apr 2009 - 9:29 PM

Help!
I recently photographed a martial arts competition which involved a lot of children. Where do I stand in putting these images onto a website (where do I get permission from for such large numbers)?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Apr 2009 - 9:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2009 - 9:31 PM

The compition runners would be a good start, see what there rules are for the events they run.

Anyone entering the comp would have to abide by there rules when they enter the child... I would thinks...

Tommy

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2009 - 10:13 PM

Why do you need permission?

User_Removed
20 Apr 2009 - 10:16 PM

Lol........think about it John.

stolzy
20 Apr 2009 - 10:29 PM

Sorry, still don't get it...enlighten me.

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2009 - 10:58 PM

Quote: Sorry, still don't get it...enlighten me.

for a start the competition was probably not in a public place, more likely a private one such as a sports hall, perhaps a model release form would have helped to start with, but yes contact the organisers and go from there

stolzy
20 Apr 2009 - 11:02 PM

Quote: for a start the competition was probably not in a public place,

Irrelevant, unless the owner or their representative told you not to take pictures, in which case you should have desisted.

Still don't see a reason why, having taken the pictures, you need permission to put them on a website

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 3:00 AM

A simple question to the organisers could save a lot of problems.

Yes I hate the fact you need to play it safe with things like this and it makes photographers feel like they have to tread carefully... constantly

But for peace of mind, if it was me, I would check the small print on the clubs rules with regards or you might find due to other members complaining about photos on a web site and a general ban on any other people taking photos at any future events.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014441 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 5:48 AM

I'm with Stolzy here. If photography wasn't permitted, then they should have advised people. If you photograph a kids soccer match, or hockey game, I don't think permission to use the photos is required. What about local newspapers publishing photos of kids events, they do it commercially.

stolzy
21 Apr 2009 - 7:16 AM

Quite.

GCF
GCF  5
21 Apr 2009 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Cheers

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2009 - 11:13 PM

Check the back of the ticket, it should tell you about photography, if not contact the organiser. If on private land in the UK you do not have automatic rights to photography.

StephenPoole
27 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I photographed students from a college on a sailing and canoeing event and I had to get model release forms signed.

In this day and age you might be asked for a recent CRB check when it comes to photographing children

Last Modified By StephenPoole at 27 May 2009 - 12:00 PM
pepperst
pepperst  62328 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Play it safe and contact the organisers to find out what their policy on the day was, ie, is there a clause in the entrance form that states pictures will/may be taken and that they will be reproduced unless the parent/guardian states otherwise.

I have photographed a lot of children in various projects from school trips to rugby clubs and have never got model releases forms signed as on each occasion the parents had allowed the organisation to 'vet' or manage photographers. (Although I always have forms, nspcc and rfu certificates, press pass and example images on me)

If you are selling the images there might be a different problem but for use on a website I doubt there is an issue but play safe.

stolzy
27 May 2009 - 1:43 PM

Quote: In this day and age you might be asked for a recent CRB check when it comes to photographing children

Why would a (presumably) amateur photographer have a CRB check? Who would do it? Its not necessary and not even obtainable unless you work for an organisation who can have them undertaken.
You can't just walk into your local post-office and ask for one!

Last Modified By stolzy at 27 May 2009 - 1:43 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.