Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sports Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022894 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2006 - 5:19 AM

The terms for being reviewed for a possible license by the Prem League are very clear and precise.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 May 2006 - 5:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bikejourno
18 May 2006 - 9:49 AM

the thing is we now live in a very litigious society

if you shouldnt be somewhere then maybe its a good idea not to be there

gone are the days, rightly or wrongly, that you can just turn up, look the part and shoot away

a lot of bike snappers have discovered this year that taking pics and then selling them is not allowed
(it never has been actually)
at club race meets the ACU own all copyright not the snapper and at BSB you have to buy a licence to use the images ( no price has yet been established so the answer is no!! now what was the question)

read the back of most tickets and they will state that taking pics as joe public doesnt allow you to post on websites etc ( private use only)

get accreditation, get insured and then go and do your job

if you dont have a job then buy a ticket and enjoy the show

samfurlong
18 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

The football league (the premiership in particular) are very tetchy about who they give passes to and even more tetchy about image licenses.
God knows why (well, I do actually - it's called money), but rugby (even premiership / international level) and other sports are a million miles more acommodating.

Generally, unless you have a reputable agency / paper behind you, you are extremely fortunate to get regular unhindered access to footy in the higher leagues.

StevenPrice
31 Jul 2007 - 12:15 PM

well i can only speak from the rugby league side of things you will certainly need liability insurance to shoot pitch side, i have been shooting for my local pro team for the last 2 seasons now & have only just managed to gain my full Media accreditation with the RFL i had to prove i had at least 15 images published in the rugby league press, so its not easy but certainly a lot easier than league football. now with my pass granted i have shot the Northern Rail cup final & the Carnigie challenge cup semi final within the last few weeks i hope this will help inspire someone to keep trying as it proves you can get there in the end with a little determination.

scartlane
scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Nov 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi Steven,
I am a massive rugby league fan, Would love to chat (via email) to discuss how you managed to get into the game, and how you started.
would love to start getting into Rugby Photography at any level!

danh
danh  461 forum posts United Kingdom36 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2011 - 12:37 PM

My advice would be to go to your local park and start shooting some amateur rugby, contacting the home side in advance if you think they might question why you're there. Study the techniques and tips of the pro photographers who shoot the game (or sport in general - most techniques transfer very well between different sports), and see how you get on. Posting some of your work on the galleries here might get you some useful hints and tips, unless you're an absolute natural who'll excels at your first go! Smile

Johno450
Johno450  3 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:05 AM

God knows why (well, I do actually - it's called money), but rugby (even premiership / international level) and other sports are a million miles more accommodating.

Never a truer word said Smile

losbarbados
23 Oct 2012 - 5:55 PM

Quote: My advice would be to go to your local park and start shooting some amateur rugby, contacting the home side in advance if you think they might question why you're there. Study the techniques and tips of the pro photographers who shoot the game (or sport in general - most techniques transfer very well between different sports), and see how you get on. Posting some of your work on the galleries here might get you some useful hints and tips, unless you're an absolute natural who'll excels at your first go! Smile

Can I just echo this comment. I'm very fortunate to follow a sport that boasts a very accommodating bunch of photographers, and whilst I'm not quite at the peak of the sport, it's thanks to the advice gleaned from those that have been involved a lot longer I have that I am becoming more proficient.

mike5537
mike5537  1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2013 - 10:03 PM

I've had a bit of luck in this field, I've been trackside at Silverstone twice now and all I did was walk into the press office and ask for a pass, pay a 10 deposit for the bib and job done. Yes it wasn't for the F1 but in order to get started I went to the Bentley Drivers Day and had a ball. Got some decent shots, nothing amazing as it was before I got my 70-300 and was limited to 105. I've also done the Prescott Hill Climb and Glorious Goodwood, again just by asking for a pass and I wasn't questioned on my ability or if I was licensed. I know they aren't exactly in demand so I guess they just had a spare pass and weren't bothered, but for the experience and practice it was fantastic. Just don't run before you can walk and I think it will come together, like any other job, you start at the bottom and work your way up!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.