Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sports Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    slaguire
    slaguire  11
    25 Aug 2003 - 4:37 PM

I am very new to the photography world...but need some basic info. I have a canon rebel 2000. i also bought a sigma 100-300 zoom lens. i am primarily interested in football photography as my brother is one of the top rated QB's in the nation. i can never seem to get the right settings...or really even know what settings to use. i am wasting a lot of film and just would like some basic help or the name of a good book. all my pictures are really dark and blury and half of them don't even show up on the negatives. i as using a 1500 or 2000 shutter speed, but forgot to change to aperture. i only know to do this from my manual. any help would be greatly appreciated. my email it purdue_bro@yahoo.com if you would like to email. or just reply to this. thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2003 - 4:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil beale
    phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2003 - 6:58 PM

Scott Trying using aperture priority and set it to your largest aperture e.g. f5.6 that way the camera will only give you the fastest shutter with the given light on the subject. If you find your shutter speed isn’t faster enough try using different films speed 200asa +. Shutter speed of 1500 is to fast which is not helping try using 500th of a second which should be fine on 300mm lens. I haven’t done much sport photography so these are settings I have done to get results. Hope this helps
    Phil

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2003 - 10:50 PM

A monopod can be usefull when light levels are less than ideal. One with a quick release and two way head will give some support, if not as much as a tripod, but still remain flexible enough for sports.

Andy80F

ZenTog
    ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2003 - 1:19 PM

try to get a lens with a bigger aperture to help with low light levels, you might be better also changing to a canon digital ie a canon 10d or a 1d if money permits.
    digtal cameras work better than film cameras I find when light levels are lower also you can experiment and see the results straight away, i did this at a freestyle MX event where the sky colour was poor and light levels low , so i popped a big hammerhead flash in addition to the on camera flash using both together produced the shots on my portfolio here check them out.
    the larger canon lenses are available in large apertures dear but secondhand prices are dropping all the time as are secondhand digital SLRS
    if you carry on using films try changing film till you get a film with plenty of latitude, personally unless asked by clients I now only use digital it saves so much money and you can rescue shots with problems so much easier

DanB
    DanB  1197 forum posts
    26 Aug 2003 - 2:05 PM

Try using a fast film, like Provia 400. You could push it a stop too, to get a faster shutter speed. Shoot on Aperture priority, at your fastest aperture and try too keep the shutter speed above 1/300 of a second to avoid blurring.

You could try shooting ilford 3200, which would give really contrasty results and would make your photos stand out from the others, but i wouldnt overuse it.

john jones
    john jones  11
    26 Aug 2003 - 2:37 PM

If you can get in close, (unlikely considering the nature of the sport and the QB bing in the centre of the pitch) a powerful flash gun can freeze your subjects.

jon.s
    jon.s  11176 forum posts
    26 Aug 2003 - 5:51 PM

practice practice and even more practice but you still learn somthing new everyday.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.