Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sports photography courses - Are there any?

scartlane 3 68 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 1:13PM
Does anyone know where i can find information / book courses on sports photography.
Love my sports and love mt photography so wouldnt mind learning how to put the two together,
I did have a bit of a search around this site for the info but kinda got lost and bogged down in the amount of info,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 5:15PM
I don't know of any courses in the Uk, there are some in the states. Books a few on the ground as well and tend to be fairly basic. Having said that, Andy Hooper (four times sports photographer of the year) has just published Capture The Moment (Isbn: 978-1-119-97309-6) which covers photographing the 2012 olympics with a section on each sport and its challenges. The book is broadly targeted so has the compact user on mind as well as the Dslr user. It's a level up from the basic guides, but don't expect any great insights.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Nov 2011 8:41AM
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2011 12:31PM
I've read more of Andy Hooper new book now, previously I had just skim read sections on sports I know fairly well. Looking at those I've never tried there are suggestions for positioning and camera set up that you may find useful if you are new to the sport. However helecopters being the best vantage point for sailing may not be within everyones budget. Smile You can find out most of this with a little research on the internet, for the recent tour of Britain I identifed most of what he suggests that way, but still didn't get the image I was after. It really comes down to experience, something the books and short courses can only provide a limited amount of.

So I'll change my rating of capture the moment to worth a look, and its probably the best sports photography technique book around at the moment.
Graflex 11 488 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2011 8:41AM
Just get yourself known at Amateur sports matches,get the camera working,push yourself forward,don't be a wallflower..who knows FAME.
Pro sport is more difficult because of all the rules of credibility-but with confidence that can be overcome.
No such word as 'can't' as an old employer would say...
It's not so much what you know,is who you know,that counts in this trade.Stick with it!

H.
petemasty 5 155 England
20 Dec 2011 11:55AM
Scartlane

Rather than go the expense of a course, or even a book for that matter, there should be plenty of info on the net. i did a sports photography module for a diploma course last year, and covered Cowes Week. i think what i learned most is making sure the Shutter speed is suitably set in comparison to the focal length your using and the 'speed' of the sport youre covering. If memory serves me well, i had it permanently on 1/600th, AUTO-ISO to a max of 800ISO (as i was using a Pentax k20d at the time), and let the aperture sort istslef out. no doubt very rudimentary, but for me it was a start and i got some decent shots. Apologies if I was teaching you to suck eggs so to speak.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.