Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

SPOTMATIC SP corroded STUCK battery screw.

6 Feb 2010 4:29PM
]
ANYONE got any tips how to ' free up' the thread so I can remove the old corroded battery. Have tried VINEGAR.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
6 Feb 2010 6:21PM
Try " WD-40 " but leave it to soak for 24 hours or so. You may need to give it a gentle tap to help free the thread...!!!

If its that bad you may need to check the wiring to the battery, Sometimes these get so corroded that they no longer pass current.

Good luck either way.....Smile
6 Feb 2010 6:44PM
As well as the WD-40 and/or penetrating oil some heat application might also help. The problems to overcome are that leaked battery content are nasty and you have to 'crack' the corrosion which has effectively become an adhesive on the threads. It's not a blowlamp job! Try just applying the tip of an small electrical soldering iron running it round the outer edges of the the cover, avoiding keeping it in one place too long, when it cools down it will contract and this might be enough.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
6 Feb 2010 6:52PM
I seem to remember that the slot in the battery lid is for a coin rather than a screwdriver. When you unscrew the battery lid, make sure the coin is a very snug fit in the slot. A 10 Yen piece from 40 years ago should be perfect!

Be very careful when you apply heat because some models have a plastic liner in the battery compartment.

Good luck in your hunt for the correct mercury cells.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
6 Feb 2010 7:24PM
If you get to the stage where you need to find replacement batteries this may help.
The small battery company .
www.smallbattery.company.org.uk

Ken
6 Feb 2010 10:44PM
Thanks all you guys. I have taken the bottom plate off' so will immerse in WD40 for a couple of days and if that doesn't do it , will try the soldering iron. Yes this SP has a plastic battery base so I will heed your advice.Needless to say I lost one of the small screws in my impatience to sort it out.Will let you know how I get on.Worst scenario is to buy another spottie for spares I guess.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.