Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Spyder Software

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    2 Jun 2012 - 2:21 PM

Hi all, I need to buy spyder software to calibrate my monitor. No matter how I try to calibrate it using the calibrate colour in windows 7 its still hit and miss. I can get my images to look sharp on the screen but when I have them printed (I don’t print on my own printer) they come out dark, darker than on the monitor. I don’t print for commercial use although I am a member of a camera club and enter competitions. I borrowed the one from the club but it is not compatible with windows 7. I have looked on eBay and there’s quite a few Spyder Software but don’t say whether they are compatible with windows 7. I don’t want to pay big bucks, can anyone tell me what spyder software version will work with windows 7. I use a Samsung S22A350H Monitor
    Many thanks look forward to your replies.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jun 2012 - 2:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8971 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2012 - 2:41 PM

get a spyder 3 works fine on windows 7, the cost is worth it as you will need to recalibrate every other month.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Jun 2012 - 2:43 PM
    GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2012 - 7:11 PM

The old Spyders can be made to work with Win 7 I think using Vista drivers. I did it for a while.

If the main issue you're having is one of dark prints you might want to simply try turning the brightness down on your screen by a fair whack (how's that for precision?Wink). This is something you will likely have to do anyway with Spyder software, so in that sense the only benefit you'll be getting with the Spyder is that you'll be able to physically measure the screen's luminosity in candela—and thus be able to return it to the exactly the same state every time you calibrate (and even then only with the more expensive software packages I suspect).

Calibration gear is useful, but it's hyped like everything else. Not everyone needs it.

Last Modified By GlennH at 2 Jun 2012 - 7:12 PM
    User_Removed
    2 Jun 2012 - 8:23 PM

Most calibration devices don't really deal with matching for prints. There is a print version of Spyder but it is at the top of the price range.

Look at a print in very bright light and you will see more detail than you do in very dim light, on a sunny day you may have to turn up your monitor brightness to see details that you have no trouble seeing when the room is dark.

As Glenn suggests, your monitor's brightness is probably too high. It may also be a problem with your contrast setting. Do some of the tests here

Calibration is more about colour accuracy and correcting any bias that your monitor has.

johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    2 Jun 2012 - 9:37 PM

Thanks all for the info and take on board what you say. I think what I'll do before I go out and spend my dosh is to set the screen to what I think is the best picture and go and print some 6x4 and see how they come out and adjust the screen accordingly. I normally use A4 or A3 prints for club competition so this will be a cheaper option. If it don't work then I'll try Spyder.Smile

darrensmithgbr
    2 Jun 2012 - 10:24 PM

You could try what I usually do to calibrate my printer.

I create an array of 12 or so pictures on a single page and print one picture at a time on the same page. Each time I print one picture, I adjust the settings on the printer. I end up with 12 picture contact sheet which I can then select the best setting for that paper or cartridge set. I can then set the printer to default at that setting.

hope this is worth a try

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2012 - 10:32 PM

Quote: on a sunny day you may have to turn up your monitor brightness to see details that you have no trouble seeing when the room is dark.

Well yeah, that's true, but some level of control over ambient light is as important as what you have on the screen. You can see a similar thing on the web—surround a dark picture with white and you'll be immediately squinting to see the detail that becomes obvious against a darker background.

Contrast adjustment should be kept to a minimum, because it reduces the tone and colour your monitor can produce by artificially [digitally] reducing dynamic range, whereas a brightness adjustment is a physical adjustment that moves the whole shebang—from black point to white level—up and down. Hit the brightness switch first so you can barely see the darkest shadow detail, and then if highlight detail is still too bright you can rein it in with a little contrast fiddling (contrast sometimes disappears from OSD controls if you connect a monitor digitally).

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    2 Jun 2012 - 11:50 PM

Quote: I can get my images to look sharp on the screen but when I have them printed (I don’t print on my own printer) they come out dark, darker than on the monitor

where do you have them printed? Ive found screen calibrations are not the cause of dark prints, check settings and printer profiles

Last Modified By dcash29 at 2 Jun 2012 - 11:52 PM
    iainhamiltonphotography

just a quick add john i use spyder express and did for windows XP when i got new comp i went to spyders home page and downloaded the driver/software for windows 7 which i installed and works perfectly fine Smile

Iain

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.