Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Spyder2Express + Vista = Pants.

SimPick e2
9 545 2 Azerbaijan
16 Sep 2008 7:55PM
Hi all,

Just recently bought Spyder2Express after finally noticing that others were seeing different things than I do on my home PC's. I have a desktop with XP, and a laptop with Vista. Spyder2 calibrated the desktop fine, and now it looks quite nice and it'd done an acceptable job of it. Then I tried with the laptop and Vista, and ...WOW....my monitor makes everything look like it belongs in a brothel. All the colours are sooooooooooooooo bright and gaudy, and it's basically absolutely feckin' awful. What on earth have I done ?

As usual, any help greatly appreciated.

Simon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
16 Sep 2008 8:05PM
It might be something to do with the nature of the laptop screen istself - they tend to be cheaper, but at a guess I would say something is wrong. Did you try recalibrating or a reinstall/restarted (sometimes programes freshly installed need a computer restart to function correctly, even if they do not say that they do).
16 Sep 2008 8:22PM
How long was you lap top switched on before calibration. I have to leave mine on for an hour min before calibrating or the colours are nuclear!!! Takes the screen a while to warm up.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Sep 2008 8:47PM
There are several threads relating to Vista & screen calibration, Including the Spyder range.....!

As Alex has said, First thing to remember is that most sub 400 quid laptops, Tend to have cheap screens, It's the very part thay save the most money on, In manafacturering terms.....Sad

That said you should be able to get something half reasonable....!

Ok so for a very brief explanation on Vista & Spyder, Basically Spyder loads the colour profile at start up......Then Vista changes it back to a default Vista one....( this usually happens around 30 seconds to a minute depending on how fast your machine is )..!

WHY does Vista do this.....Basically the graphic board requests a profile for the monitor, And Vista provides one.......Trouble is that in between times, The Spyder software has loaded YOUR nice new custom profile.......!

To stop this happening, You need to disable the graphic boards DLL instuction in " MSCONFIG " under the start up list..........

As I have already said there is more in depth info on the procedure, On previous threads, But before you start you need to be familiar with your Laptops graphic Chip/Board and it's associated software drivers......Smile

Once you have sussed it out and made the relevant changes, Spyder & Vista are A O K......Oh! before I go....Check out the Colorvision site.....regarding this issue, Last time I looked, They had some guff on it.........

Good luck..........Smile
SimPick e2
9 545 2 Azerbaijan
16 Sep 2008 9:13PM

Quote:I have to leave mine on for an hour min before calibrating or the colours are nuclear!!! Takes the screen a while to warm up.

Ha !! Couldn't have described the colours better myself. Everything on my laptop looks like the biggest day-glo gaudy-fest ever. It's not a cheap one, but not expensive either, so maybe it's a cheap screen. I think I paid around 600/700 quid for it. It's an Acer 17" Aspire 7520 widescreen.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will have a search around and see what I can find on the ColorVision site too.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 10:54PM
As Vista makes some attempts at colour management and as some graphics card manufacturers try to also make some colour management helper files you can get problems with some NVidia and some ATi driver software.

If you remove those no longer needed files from running that can help. How do you look for this?, watch the display as the machine powers up. If after the Spider logo the screen goes correct, then changes, you have the conflict on colour space loader.
SimPick e2
9 545 2 Azerbaijan
17 Sep 2008 7:46AM
I think that if Vista is the way forward for Microsoft, then Apple is the way forward for me !
I've never had so many problems with a laptop before in my life. Vista has turned a pretty nicely specced laptop into a heap of junk. I know a few guys who've recently moved to Apple because of Vista, and so far they have no regrets at all.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 8:55AM
There are spyder2 problems on the Mac system as well. Just look up the FAQ on the web site.
StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
18 Sep 2008 10:57AM
To be fair to Microsoft, I run the Spyder2 and Vista and haven't had any problems. I think it is too easy to blame MS, when the issue may be the compatibility of the Spyder with Vista on that particular laptop.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.