Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SSD + SATA performance?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    janewebb
    janewebb  1
    29 Aug 2013 - 7:12 AM

Hi, I have installed a SSD on my desktop computer that I use only for photography, No games etc etc.
    Before I installed I was using 3 X SATA drives 1 for OS and other softwares L/R P/S etc, 1 used to transfer images from CF card to computer and 1 where I kept finished photographs. The one I used to import from the CF card was also where I loaded into Lightroom from (I don't import from the card direct via Lightroom). I have another SSD and wondered if I used this instead of a SATA drive to import from my CF card and then load to Lightroom when required would I get a better or should say I faster performance when importing?
    I hope the question is understood.
    Thank you
    Russ

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Aug 2013 - 7:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    29 Aug 2013 - 7:48 AM

Hi Russ,
    I would think that you get faster reading with SSD, but if there will be much benefit in terms of speed when importing to Lightroom I am not certain - because actual reading of files is only a part of the process, then Lightroom takes considerable amount of time to make previews. So, unless your computer is something like i7 processor and at least 8Gb RAM system, the win in speed may be not worth it. Another thing to consider - possibility of drive failure. While most of HDDs fail gradually, SSDs are being said to fail with no warning. That is a risk of loosing a large batch of images.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014008 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2013 - 8:55 AM

Quote: I have another SSD and wondered if I used this instead of a SATA drive to import from my CF card and then load to Lightroom when required would I get a better or should say I faster performance when importing?

Yes, the difference when I swapped to SSD was quite noticeable.

GarethRobinson
    29 Aug 2013 - 10:28 AM

yes it will be faster.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2013 - 8:15 PM

Quote: yes it will be faster

Dependant on the read/write speed of the CF card that is Wink

GarethRobinson
    29 Aug 2013 - 10:22 PM

well thats a given, but loading to lightroom etc will be a lot better.Tongue

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 29 Aug 2013 - 10:24 PM
    janewebb
    janewebb  1
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:37 AM

Hi, Many thanks for the replies
    Russ

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:48 PM

Ive got an SSD as my main drive is appx 2 yrs old and is failing Sad already formatted recenmtly and STILL loses the bootmgr!!!
    yet with my HDDS ive still got the ones from 4 years ago and they get used constantly

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.