Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

SSD + SATA performance?

janewebb 2 1
29 Aug 2013 7:12AM
Hi, I have installed a SSD on my desktop computer that I use only for photography, No games etc etc.
Before I installed I was using 3 X SATA drives 1 for OS and other softwares L/R P/S etc, 1 used to transfer images from CF card to computer and 1 where I kept finished photographs. The one I used to import from the CF card was also where I loaded into Lightroom from (I don't import from the card direct via Lightroom). I have another SSD and wondered if I used this instead of a SATA drive to import from my CF card and then load to Lightroom when required would I get a better or should say I faster performance when importing?
I hope the question is understood.
Thank you
Russ

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

29 Aug 2013 7:48AM
Hi Russ,
I would think that you get faster reading with SSD, but if there will be much benefit in terms of speed when importing to Lightroom I am not certain - because actual reading of files is only a part of the process, then Lightroom takes considerable amount of time to make previews. So, unless your computer is something like i7 processor and at least 8Gb RAM system, the win in speed may be not worth it. Another thing to consider - possibility of drive failure. While most of HDDs fail gradually, SSDs are being said to fail with no warning. That is a risk of loosing a large batch of images.
lobsterboy Plus
11 14.4k 13 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2013 8:55AM

Quote:I have another SSD and wondered if I used this instead of a SATA drive to import from my CF card and then load to Lightroom when required would I get a better or should say I faster performance when importing?

Yes, the difference when I swapped to SSD was quite noticeable.
29 Aug 2013 10:28AM
yes it will be faster.
Ade_Osman Plus
12 4.5k 36 England
29 Aug 2013 8:15PM

Quote:yes it will be faster

Dependant on the read/write speed of the CF card that is Wink
29 Aug 2013 10:22PM
well thats a given, but loading to lightroom etc will be a lot better.Tongue
janewebb 2 1
30 Aug 2013 6:37AM
Hi, Many thanks for the replies
Russ
mohikan22 11 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 6:48PM
Ive got an SSD as my main drive is appx 2 yrs old and is failing Sad already formatted recenmtly and STILL loses the bootmgr!!!
yet with my HDDS ive still got the ones from 4 years ago and they get used constantly

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.