Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

St Malo -france/

mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 8:21AM
Hello and GOOD MORNING!!!! Grin
im off to france with missus (Pijin1) and the kids for the day on sat. we leave uk on fri night arrive AM sat and have allday/
Any info on the area from people who have been and things to photograph would be appreciated. I know i can google but id rather have a first hand knowledge bae to work on
Many thanks
Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 8:26AM
Big beaches (think Normandy landings!) and big skies.

What struck me about the area is just how much of everyday life actually happens on the beaches themselves and as such they provide an awful lot of interest. There's also quite a lot of old wooden hulks scattered along the coast. Inland the agriculture is somewhat industrial by that also throws up some interesting photo studies.

A very pleasant rural area.
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 9:06AM
well the weather looks good fro sat so ill see what i find. any other ideas folks??
St Malo is a very picturesque town with ramparts and narrow streets. First of all walk along the ramparts and around the town in order to see lovely views down onto the town (roofs, street, cafes ..etc.... and also the port.
Then walk in the narrow streets, lots of nice things to take photos of (people, shops, houses ....etc...) Here and there there are towers, gates with views.
Don't forget to go to a "creperie", a "patisserie" and try to find a small restaurant to eat plenty of fish.

Depending on the tide, walk to the small island where Chateaubriand is buried. Go there for the views. Worth it.

If you have a car and the time, also go to Cancale (a small fishing port) and the "pointe du Grouin" (rocks, sea, waves ....etc...). Eat fresh fish. It's a few kilometers fronm St Malo and worth the detour.

JNC
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 9:17AM
ohh ty. we will have the car so ill add that to my agenda. Grin
Have fun! JNC
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 12:33PM
If you have time, Dinan is well worth a visit. It's only about 30 minutes from St Malo and a gorgeous place, with loads of character buildings.

Ian
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 4:09PM
thankyou Grin googleing them is ok but never as exact as experience Grin thankyou for the ideas. KEEP em coming lol.
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
11 Mar 2009 4:20PM
The old walled town is a wonderful place, great photo opportunies almost everywhere you look. Great places to eat - seafood is usually top notch - and shopping is tres bon. St Malo is dead classy and you will have lots of fun. I am envious.

Def walk the old town walls - that will give you lots of inspiration.

Best wishes

Robert
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
11 Mar 2009 6:14PM
And if you do get to Dinan the top of the clock tower is worth a visit - it's almsot 20 years since I went there but recall that the floor slopes down and out and it helps if that, the height (not too high) and the less than solid looking handrail doesn't bother you Smile

Of course my recollections might be dulled by the passing years .....
john64 e2
10 824 England
11 Mar 2009 6:22PM
Agree with all of the above Matt.

We went camping in Normandy/Brittany last summer. Loved it and going back again this year. Loads to photograph, you'll have a great time, but only one day? I promise you'll want to go back for longer.

Enjoy the trip, send us all a postcard Wink

John
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2009 6:40PM
heh thankyou all for the tips and ideas. ill need a notepad print out to remember most of it lol.
john64 e2
10 824 England
11 Mar 2009 7:52PM
Blatant click-fisihing alert

...In fact, here's one of mine from last summer.

Wink
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2009 6:47AM
RIGHTO thankyou for the input my good people Grin ive made a nice notepad print out full of your suggestions Grin
Look to the future for some "france" pictures Grin

Regards
matt.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.