Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Staining/Lubricant leak on Sigma 17-70 mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    21 May 2007 - 3:09 PM

Hi there I'm looking for some help with a problem I think I might have with my Sigma 17-70 mm f2.8-4.5 Macro DC lens.

I bought this lens at the end of February from the Jacobs stand at Focus on Imaging at the NEC along with a Canon EOS 400D. After using the lens for a while I noticed that there appeared to be a small stain on the surround to inner front lens element. The stain appears to be a liquid of some type (lubricant?), initially this was quite small but over the past 2 1/2 months has now grown to encompass about 1/2 of the surround and was hoping someone could tell me what it is and whether I have a faulty lens?

Thanks,

Simon

Last Modified By psiman at 23 May 2007 - 9:50 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 May 2007 - 3:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil beale
    phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 May 2007 - 3:30 PM

I would just phone up jacobs and email them the photo. I'm sure they will replace it without question. Don't accept a repair.

Phil

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2007 - 4:55 PM

As it is not on the optic is this an issue? And are you certain it has not come into contact with something that is causing this. Best take it t odealer if you are worried. Or EMAIL Sigma for a comment. If a simple clean fixes it take it.

After all it is not like the glass is damaged

psiman
    23 May 2007 - 9:48 AM

Thanks for all your help and advice. Sigma have confirmed that this is a lubricant leak and since its on the inner lens element surround I've had to send it back to them for repair (or preferably replacement).

I have to say that apart from this issue I've found the 17-70 mm to be a cracking walk about lens (it produces great pseudo-macro shots as well) the problem is I might be without my standard lens for up to 3 weeks :-(

Simon

PS I've removed the shot of the staining on the lens from my gallery

psiman
    29 May 2007 - 1:26 PM

Just to close off this thread. I sent the lens back to Sigma last Tuesday and after being repaired it was delivered to my home today. Considering the holiday weekend, I think that's excellent service as they turned the lens around in a couple of days (thank goodness as I felt as if I was missing my right arm!)

Simon

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.