Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Staining/Lubricant leak on Sigma 17-70 mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens?

psiman 11 551 Wales
21 May 2007 3:09PM
Hi there I'm looking for some help with a problem I think I might have with my Sigma 17-70 mm f2.8-4.5 Macro DC lens.

I bought this lens at the end of February from the Jacobs stand at Focus on Imaging at the NEC along with a Canon EOS 400D. After using the lens for a while I noticed that there appeared to be a small stain on the surround to inner front lens element. The stain appears to be a liquid of some type (lubricant?), initially this was quite small but over the past 2 1/2 months has now grown to encompass about 1/2 of the surround and was hoping someone could tell me what it is and whether I have a faulty lens?

Thanks,

Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil beale 11 1.5k United Kingdom
21 May 2007 3:30PM
I would just phone up jacobs and email them the photo. I'm sure they will replace it without question. Don't accept a repair.

Phil
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
21 May 2007 4:55PM
As it is not on the optic is this an issue? And are you certain it has not come into contact with something that is causing this. Best take it t odealer if you are worried. Or EMAIL Sigma for a comment. If a simple clean fixes it take it.

After all it is not like the glass is damaged
psiman 11 551 Wales
23 May 2007 9:48AM
Thanks for all your help and advice. Sigma have confirmed that this is a lubricant leak and since its on the inner lens element surround I've had to send it back to them for repair (or preferably replacement).

I have to say that apart from this issue I've found the 17-70 mm to be a cracking walk about lens (it produces great pseudo-macro shots as well) the problem is I might be without my standard lens for up to 3 weeks :-(

Simon

PS I've removed the shot of the staining on the lens from my gallery
psiman 11 551 Wales
29 May 2007 1:26PM
Just to close off this thread. I sent the lens back to Sigma last Tuesday and after being repaired it was delivered to my home today. Considering the holiday weekend, I think that's excellent service as they turned the lens around in a couple of days (thank goodness as I felt as if I was missing my right arm!)

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.