Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stand alone noise software where do you fit yours in?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    meercat
    meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jan 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi, I always used to use a plugin of noise Ninja on my old photoshop, but since my comp had to rebuilt, I no longer have it Sad today I downloaded an excellent noise reduction piece of software (can't remember the name as at work, but it's not important) however it is stand alone, as plugins cost these days (last time I looked there were free ones anyway). I am now left with a question.

As a stand alone peice of kit I need to work with jpegs which means I need to go through part of my workflow prior to implementing noise reduction, I'm not really sure when to do it? Anyone use a stand alone for this? and if so what is your process?

I use CS5 but don't like the built in noise reduction, can't quite get it to do what I want Sad and as I have a 20D when I use anything 400 ISO and above there can be quite a bit of noise (obviously one day I will get a new camera, but only just started to find the old girl letting me down).

Cheers in advance.

Ash

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jan 2011 - 10:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2011 - 10:48 PM

I use noise reduction either at the Raw conversion stage using Lightroom's noise reduction, or, after Raw conversion, but before editing, using Neatimage.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2011 - 10:51 PM

I also use NeatImage, which I find very effective.

Jestertheclown
    18 Jan 2011 - 10:57 PM

I think the noise reduction tool in Lightroom 3.2 is excellent and I have to agree that the one in CS5 can be tricky to get right.
    I also sometimes use "Noiseware community edition" which is free, offers plenty of scope for adjustments and is a standalone. It doesn't, however convert batches. It's big brother does but you have to pay for that.

Jester.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'm another use of NeatImage which I like because it combines both a noise reduction and also a sharpening code into the same package (others such as topaz break this into two separate addons).

Generally though any of the leading market options for noise reduction will (when used correctly) give similar levels of performance overall. In comparative reviews you can often find that one will show a marginal or a noticeable difference over the others with specific shots; but there is no real strong pattern to put to this performance. So the slight differences are more a point of chance than anything else.
    For most people this difference means that one software option is generally the most they will need - with maybe a second if it offers additional controls or options. Otherwise the time required in editing each shot with a series of the software options is unlikely to get the average photographer much gain. Now if they are doing a lot of high ISO work and dealing with strong noise on a regular basis they might have more call to use several software approaches to get the best possible

meercat
    meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Jan 2011 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for that Justin, so sort RAW file, save Jpeg, filter in Noiseware community edition (thanks for reminding me of the name Jester) and then go back into my usual workflow on CS5 Smile

Can't justify the expense of lightroom just yet, are there any other RAW convertors that have noise reduction built in?

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jan 2011 - 12:22 AM

Capture 1 has built in noise adjustment. And when I bought it the full version of noiseware was not that expensive, under 20. I bought it with this discount code

Last Modified By strawman at 19 Jan 2011 - 12:24 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.