Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Star trail photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lee beel
    lee beel  10237 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Dec 2005 - 12:48 AM

hi everyone, hope you are all well.

i am hoping to try and photogrpah a nearby ruined abbey during the night and would like to include some star trails in the image.

the abbey is not lit and is out in the countryside so i hope there will be little light polution.

i have a remote release to use with a lock function so a lengthly exposure is not a problem.

i am thinking of settings like ISO 100 (i use a dslr) f8 or f11 with exposure times starting around 1hour.

does anybody have any tips or help they can offer or know of any decent star trail images?

i have searched the forum and found nothing on these lines.

thanks.

lee.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Dec 2005 - 12:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Elimare
    Elimare  9
    12 Dec 2005 - 1:34 AM

Tutorial Photographing Star Trails

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    12 Dec 2005 - 2:03 AM

Hi Lee, hope thislinkor thislink help,
    Terry

lee beel
    lee beel  10237 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Dec 2005 - 2:13 AM

fantastic!

thanks for all your help and time Terry and Anja.

Lee.

duratorque
    duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Dec 2005 - 3:09 AM

This is an area where an old mechanical film camera may be better than using a dSLR. These cameras sells for hardly anything on eBay. I should give it a go.

fauxtography
    13 Dec 2005 - 4:36 AM

Those links are top notch... and at the risk of repeating what they say here are a few things i found to watch out for:

1.For really long trails you will need exposures in the regions of 1 to a few hours (with a DSLR you'll probably need a battery grip and plenty of spare batteries, as often a standard battery fully charged will last about 1.5 to 2 hours - also you will get "dark noise" or sensor noise the more you use it).

2. As duratorque said, old mechanical film cameras are good for this, however, with film your exposure times increase becasue of reciprocity failure.

3. Make sure that it's a new moon or a slim crescent moon as moonlight will wash out your skies on really long exposures. ( A full moon will allow you to take shots of around 30 second - 5/6 minutes, if you play around with the Iso and f-stops. This in itself can give very surreal effects).

4. Watch out for your lens fogging because of condensation, this tends to happen when it's eally cold and if there is any moisture in the air.

5. Watch out for lights from nearby roads shining into your lens.

6. Find the pole star so you know where the stars will rotate around in your composition.

7, wrap up warm, take a seat and lots of coffee!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.